Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

If that's true, definitely sucks if an influential guy on the team like Wan'Dale potentially swayed the vote towards not playing when he was on his way out anyway.

The season would have been so different if we wouldn't have f***** up with the McCaffrey turnover extravaganza against Illinois and then won a bowl game. I guess we could say that about the two seasons prior to that one with "what if's" as well but that Illinois game...holy s***, what a nightmare.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

If that's true, definitely sucks if an influential guy on the team like Wan'Dale potentially swayed the vote towards not playing when he was on his way out anyway.

The season would have been so different if we wouldn't have f***** up with the McCaffrey turnover extravaganza against Illinois and then won a bowl game. I guess we could say that about the two seasons prior to that one with "what if's" as well but that Illinois game...holy s***, what a nightmare.

The most frustrating part of that game for me was the defense. The offense was an absolute s*** show, but that wasn't terribly surprising in McCaffrey's second career start. It's hard to put in a good defensive performance when the O turns it over 5 times, but especially coming off of Penn State where we made a lot of PBUs and made their running game grind it out it was atrocious. 

That's overall the most concerning thing with Frost so far - there's a least one game a year where the team just looks wildly unprepared. That was a criticism of Pelini too, but you can live with it for a while if you're winning the rest of the games you should. And yeah, if the big drivers in skipping the bowl game left them team a couple weeks/months later, that sucks. 

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

That's overall the most concerning thing with Frost so far - there's a least one game a year where the team just looks wildly unprepared. That was a criticism of Pelini too, but you can live with it for a while if you're winning the rest of the games you should.

I getcha. Even Wisconsin typically has one game a year where they also look unprepared, but like you say you forgive that when you're putting up a minimum of 8-4 seasons.

Getting off topic now and veering more towards play-specific discussion...the things that just have to turn around for me this season roughly in this exact order are:

-Stop with the fumbles in the ground game on offense.

-Stop with the shanked punts that constantly put us in bad field position

-Fix the terrible kickoff coverage unit that constantly puts us in bad field position

-Coach your kickoff returners to take the fair catch more often when appropriate (which, you guessed it, also constantly puts us in bad field position)

I really think there are 7 wins on the schedule if we just do those four things, and those should not be at the top of the problem list in year four.

tenor.gif

As said by an insightful person before, I can't think of any coach out there that could honestly give us more hope (and kool aid) than SF can.. we've seen everything from Callahan style to Pelini style and a lot in between.  We need an AD who knows how to cultivate the existing coach's formula, with the program and with the fans and media, not put him on notice or any of that. 

17 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well if voting goes the way I think it usually goes by majority that is a heck of a lot of guys who have apparently left the program or graduated then.

I don't think it was a majority. It was either we all go or nobody goes I thought. Meaning everyone needed to say yes.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, hagg said:

As said by an insightful person before, I can't think of any coach out there that could honestly give us more hope (and kool aid) than SF can.. we've seen everything from Callahan style to Pelini style and a lot in between.  We need an AD who knows how to cultivate the existing coach's formula, with the program and with the fans and media, not put him on notice or any of that. 

Nick Saban would certainly give me a hell of a lot of hope and Kool aid.

I’m not sure why people are upset about not playing that bowl game. The way things were going stepping away from it was probably a much better thing for the team than continuing whatever it was we had been doing. Lord knows I’m glad they didn’t accept a bowl game at that point so I’m not going to b!^@h about some players recognizing what was obvious. Better to step back and reevaluate imo.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I getcha. Even Wisconsin typically has one game a year where they also look unprepared, but like you say you forgive that when you're putting up a minimum of 8-4 seasons.

Getting off topic now and veering more towards play-specific discussion...the things that just have to turn around for me this season roughly in this exact order are:

-Stop with the fumbles in the ground game on offense.

-Stop with the shanked punts that constantly puts us in bad field position

-Fix the terrible kickoff coverage unit that constantly puts us in bad field position

-Coach your kickoff returners to take the fair catch more often when appropriate (which, you guessed it, also constantly puts us in bad field position)

I really think there are 7 wins on the schedule if we just do those four things, and those should not be at the top of the problem list in year four.

tenor.gif

Well said. And there’s 1-3 more wins than 7 if we actually improve beyond simply fixing the headscratching stuff.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not sure why people are upset about not playing that bowl game. The way things were going stepping away from it was probably a much better thing for the team than continuing whatever it was we had been doing. Lord knows I’m glad they didn’t accept a bowl game at that point so I’m not going to b!^@h about some players recognizing what was obvious. Better to step back and reevaluate imo.

agree, we sure were not prepared to keep playing, way too much s#!t was broken!

• Plus1 1

The bowl game thing is kinda weird. 

On the one hand, if you have a lot of pride, you play the game because you're a competitor. 

On the other hand, if you have a lot of pride, you know damn well you don't deserve a bowl game at 3-5. 

As a fan I was in the latter camp. They were throwing teams a bone for the COVID season, but it felt nothing like a reward. 

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The bowl game thing is kinda weird. 

On the one hand, if you have a lot of pride, you play the game because you're a competitor. 

On the other hand, if you have a lot of pride, you know damn well you don't deserve a bowl game at 3-5. 

As a fan I was in the latter camp. They were throwing teams a bone for the COVID season, but it felt nothing like a reward. 

3 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Hey call me crazy but personally I like watching Nebraska play football and would have enjoyed seeing them play another game.

Usually I would agree that playing another game, a bowl game, is preferable. Not just for the additional chance of seeing them play but moreso for the additional practices a team that desperately needs more practice would get. However last season, I firmly believe doing more of what they had been doing all season would’ve done more harm than good. Better to get everybody away from it and give the coaches a chance to reevaluate what they were doing wrong.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1