Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

I too would always want the team to play additional games, especially this team. HOWEVER every season is different and NU obviously had a locker room that wasn't all in on a Bowl Game. With getting started so late, the poor season, Frost losing his dad- it was exhausting for many. AND you had some that simply didnt want to be on  the team anymore. On a rare occasion it does make sense to get off that saddle, take a break, reflect, catch your breath and live to fight another day. Playing would have been beating a very dead horse. Never thought I would EVER say- yes, choosing not to play was the correct call.  

• Fire 1

On 7/14/2021 at 6:07 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

At the time many shamefully including me applauded the firing. I didnt hate Coach- or pine for him leaving. But It was evident Coach Solich was not a very effective CEO and the offense had strayed quite a bit from Osbornes day. Solichs innovations werent that great- I HATED that Maryland I crap he tried to run and his QB centric run game was run to death- wasn't sustainable. He abandoned the counter trey, the FB trap and the great play action game Coach Osborne had in place. The recruiting fell off the table and Solich was very weak with the media. He had no gravitas- charisma etc. 

In retrospect, he should have been given 2 more years with his new coaching staff in place. I like Coach Solich as a player- person- coach, he just wasn't a top shelf guy. Look  at his above mediocre but not great stint at Ohio- AND no one wanted him after he left NU. NU DESERVED a great coach at that time- but Pederson totally screwed the pooch by not having a legit home run in his back pocket before firing Frank- AND he again should have given Frank another 2 years. 

I'm doubtful Coach Solich could have evolved into a great coach- he should have been given a chance with his guys. In the end I think he would have failed.

Solich was 2-0 vs ND and at least one win over Penn State (2012).  

7 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I too would always want the team to play additional games, especially this team. HOWEVER every season is different and NU obviously had a locker room that wasn't all in on a Bowl Game. With getting started so late, the poor season, Frost losing his dad- it was exhausting for many. AND you had some that simply didnt want to be on  the team anymore. On a rare occasion it does make sense to get off that saddle, take a break, reflect, catch your breath and live to fight another day. Playing would have been beating a very dead horse. Never thought I would EVER say- yes, choosing not to play was the correct call.  

Great take...and I was one who thought, "play in a bowl game!". Nice take.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Solich was 2-0 vs ND and at least one win over Penn State (2012).  

I like Coach Solich and made a mistake pumping my fist when it was announced he was fired. Feel bad about that. Again he deserved a couple of years with the new staff. Even then I don't see the recruiting picking up under them- he wasn't the long long term solution IMO. 

Notre Dame had a rough spot during Coach Solichs tenure- 3   five win and seven loss seasons. Those wins were not against a powerful program. 

19 hours ago, TheSker said:

It was the offensive side of the ball that was less than interested iim another game.....and subsequently transferred out 

Wait what? They didn’t all transfer out. Based on behind the scenes reports from spring camp, the defense let him know they weren’t happy about it.

On 7/16/2021 at 2:03 PM, hunter49 said:

the one thing that got old last season, was the constant reference (by Frost)to one or two mistakes on a few drives that killed it.

good teams overcome a few mistakes in every game. good coaching and adjustments win games.

I specifically remember Frost saying we weren't a good enough team to make those mistakes and win.

This year is put up or shutup on that front. He's had time to recruit his guys, and instill his culture.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's hard to imagine now, but if Frank Solich had put together a string of 9-4 seasons after that 2001 NC game, the call for his firing would have been near universal. 

In 2000, NU beat ND in OT.  We trudged to 9-2, thinking we had a close loss to the BCS contender.  But then NU dropped one to OU.  I wonder if that team was better than the one that played the 2001 BCS horror show, and therefore Solich's best team and likely better than any since. 

oh did solich run a pure triple option?  As in the fullback doesn't know if he is getting the ball until the QB releases it? 

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

In 2000, NU beat ND in OT.  We trudged to 9-2, thinking we had a close loss to the BCS contender.  But then NU dropped one to OU.  I wonder if that team was better than the one that played the 2001 BCS horror show, and therefore Solich's best team and likely better than any since. 

oh did solich run a pure triple option?  As in the fullback doesn't know if he is getting the ball until the QB releases it? 

Most of us would call 99 Solich's best team.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Yeah, that 1999 Solich team was a machine, with one blip when half the team was sick. 

Solich went out running a Jammal Lord offense, in which Jammal Lord typically kept the ball himself. 

21 hours ago, ZRod said:

I specifically remember Frost saying we weren't a good enough team to make those mistakes and win.

This year is put up or shutup on that front. He's had time to recruit his guys, and instill his culture.

My feeling, my overview of the team right now, my take on what's been happening good and bad with recruiting and the AD changed and Frost seeing "hot seat" articles and all, is that he's now loaded the weapon, chambered a round, cocked the hammer, and ....  we'll see if he's shooting blanks (again) or really got us weaponized against our scheduled foes.  I feel like he's put it together.. ... like he's very much aware of the perceptions of him out there (and in here and other places like here).  And that his focus must be matched by that of his players, across all squads. 

41 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Frost is running that QB centric system that worked so well @UCF.  It has been a while since you have had a very dangerous quarterback.  Was it Crouch?  I am not even sure who was quarterback back in the Callahan era when both teams  scoring in the 50s.

No runners, thats for sure. Also Callahan never played his best QB. Ganz.  Fu%$in Dumba$$