Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

1 hour ago, Otterpop said:

I don’t understand why people are so pissed off if Frost tried to cancel the Oklahoma game. First off he was trying to get another home game against an opponent we should beat plus add money to the local economy with extra home game. Don’t get me wrong I know it’s a big game and it looks bad canceling the game but Oklahoma has their best teams in years all around so would canceling the game be worse then getting blown out. I get it was a big rivalry in the past but it’s not now. I think Frost knows where’s his team is at so if we got a game we could win instead of Oklahoma and start the year   Off 6-0 going into Michigan team filling good and fans pumped up . Because getting blown out vs Oklahoma could set us back against Michigan St. There’s to many experts that doesn’t understand what it takes to coach a team and building a program I get playing the best and beating the best but we’re not there yet. So some times you need to step back and reevaluate a situation and see what’s better for program ask yourself is 4-0 with 3 straight home games better for program or 3-1 and getting blown out to Oklahoma better for program . 

From a logical perspective I can understand why he doesn't want to play a top 5 team in non-con on top of playing three top-15 and several other top-30 teams in conference, and I'm sure there were financial and recruiting motives to getting another home game. 

But this is sports. You don't back away from challenges. Especially not when fans are looking forward to them. If this is true (which I don't really know that it is; we're in some very big he-said-she-said territory here) that's something I'm absolutely not going to defend him on. At the very least they should have been smart enough to know this would have massive blowback.

• Plus1 3

28 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

From a logical perspective I can understand why he doesn't want to play a top 5 team in non-con on top of playing three top-15 and several other top-30 teams in conference, and I'm sure there were financial and recruiting motives to getting another home game. 

But this is sports. You don't back away from challenges. Especially not when fans are looking forward to them. If this is true (which I don't really know that it is; we're in some very big he-said-she-said territory here) that's something I'm absolutely not going to defend him on. At the very least they should have been smart enough to know this would have massive blowback.

Everything you said, plus the fact that didnt frosty explicitly say we'll play anyone, anywhere? lol

Seems a bit contradictory.... I for one dont think frosty was driving this, im sure it was internal chat and they positioned it to him as another home game and more manageable schedule and he probably saw the benefit.

Disclaimer- i was disgusted when the news broke.  Even if we get smoked who f'n cares, old rival, national audience, insane to pass that up even if it isnt likely we win

33 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

At the very least they should have been smart enough to know this would have massive blowback.

Definitely with you there.

I guess I just don't care all that much about the behind-the-scenes stuff as I do about what happens on Saturdays. An example there was the "f*** our fans" audio leak from Bo; I just legitimately didn't really care. He's a hothead and it was in the heat of the moment after a huge game (that we won).

We've all had s*** we've said that we later regretted but like...someone was recording it and then leaked it? I really didn't care; all I care about that moment looking back on it was that we won that game.

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Even if we get smoked who f'n cares

raising-hand-shame.gif

• Plus1 3
18 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Riley had a 9 win season and a 6 win season where 4 of the losses were decided by a combined 11 points on a hail mary, an overtime interception, a game-losing field goal with :04 seconds left and an awful incomplete pass that would have run out the clock and won the game. 

Obviously there are close losses under Frost as well, and I'm not arguing against their different qualities of rosters and such, but there was more surface level reason to defend Riley after 30 games than Frost, sadly.

Do you remember when, the Huskers were 7-0 in Riley's 2nd year..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHF8p0_4V88bEO8zVNioN

And how, some people like to credit Pellini's players for that, instead of Riley?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgxl8lnmA2JXp48FQQGAW

Ranked 7th..

chris-farley.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Undone said:

Definitely with you there.

I guess I just don't care all that much about the behind-the-scenes stuff as I do about what happens on Saturdays. An example there was the "f*** our fans" audio leak from Bo; I just legitimately didn't really care. He's a hothead and it was in the heat of the moment after a huge game (that we won).

We've all had s*** we've said that we later regretted but like...someone was recording it and then leaked it? I really didn't care; all I care about that moment looking back on it was that we won that game.

raising-hand-shame.gif

lololol... ok, I actually care too... but i would take a bad loss against oklahoma 10 out of 10 over the bs stories and s#!t we'd receive if we backed out and didnt play them... regardless of business side of things or easier schedule, its a horrendous look

• Thanks 1

f#&% it with all the myopic Eeyore posts here forgetting that a "meh" win over a patsy does nothing to right the ship, I'm calling a shot in the dark upset over the Dirt Burglars on the road. 

With an experienced defense, basically a senior QB, and a program that just based on the odds alone is long overdue for some lucky breaks to go it's way, why not? 

CU did it.   You didn't see McCartney ducking big games because he knew the only way out of bottom feeder status was to pull the big upset.  No chance if you run and hide.  If we get boat raced, so what?  It's not like that hasn't happened before.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3
5 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

I don't agree with this at all. Riley inherited a team that was consistently ranked in the 20s or 30s in SP+ in Pelini's last several years and took it to the 60s in three seasons. Frost has taken a team in the 60s back into the 30s by his third season. If you are willing to apply literally any context to their two tenures this doesn't hold up.

Most fans don't apply much context :P

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Maybe because out of 5 seasons he influenced 1 NFL draft pick and it was QB who didn’t deserve to start for any P5 school

Interesting how he coached 3 years at Neb, actually. 

Maybe you're still reaching for Riley to blame for the last 6 years

But Riley did do something really good, by getting these recruits to come to Nebraska:  Ben Stille, JoJo Dolman, DiCaprio Bootle, Marquel Dismuke, Matt Sichterman, Austin Allen, Cam Jurgens, etc..  You will see them on the field in a week ;)  GBR 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
19 hours ago, Scarlet said:

..I'm calling a shot in the dark upset over the Dirt Burglars on the road. 

(googling 'dirt burglars') .. Well I'll be hanged.  ... Well alright then.  Okay.   Thought for sure it was Minnesota. 

Listening to sports radio and they had Billy Napier on.  Said they got better by being willing to play good teams.  Helped get them better, recruit better etc.......

Getting blown out against "better" teams is nothing new.  So is losing to "inferior" teams (and not just under Frost).  Hell, go down and throw down.  Worst that happens is we lose (possibly badly) against a team no one gives us a snowballs chance in hell win.  We have absolutely nothing to lose.  We play them close or stun the world and win........All the pressure is on OU.  

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, admo said:

Interesting how he coached 3 years at Neb, actually. 

Maybe you're still reaching for Riley to blame for the last 6 years

But Riley did do something really good, by getting these recruits to come to Nebraska:  Ben Stille, JoJo Dolman, DiCaprio Bootle, Marquel Dismuke, Matt Sichterman, Austin Allen, Cam Jurgens, etc..  You will see them on the field in a week ;)  GBR 

No. I’m talking about time at OSU too. 

20 minutes ago, lo country said:

Listening to sports radio and they had Billy Napier on.  Said they got better by being willing to play good teams.  Helped get them better, recruit better etc.......

Getting blown out against "better" teams is nothing new.  So is losing to "inferior" teams (and not just under Frost).  Hell, go down and throw down.  Worst that happens is we lose (possibly badly) against a team no one gives us a snowballs chance in hell win.  We have absolutely nothing to lose.  We play them close or stun the world and win........All the pressure is on OU.  

I sure agree with that, all of it.  And that is what blows my mind about SF's thought processes as to being anything but looking very much forward to that game right from the instant it became known that game was in the works.  I don't get it.. he's all for challenges.   I am having a hard time with that reported willingness of him to skip/replace that OU game. 

• Plus1 1