Jump to content

Scott Frost's fate under new AD


Hagg

Recommended Posts

On 8/18/2021 at 5:15 PM, Mavric said:

 

Eh ... there were a lot of people still defending Riley and blaming Bo most of the way through Riley's third year.  So I'm not really convinced this is true.

 

 

Riley had a 9 win season and a 6 win season where 4 of the losses were decided by a combined 11 points on a hail mary, an overtime interception, a game-losing field goal with :04 seconds left and an awful incomplete pass that would have run out the clock and won the game. 

 

Obviously there are close losses under Frost as well, and I'm not arguing against their different qualities of rosters and such, but there was more surface level reason to defend Riley after 30 games than Frost, sadly.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment

40 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

 

 

Riley had a 9 win season and a 6 win season where 4 of the losses were decided by a combined 11 points on a hail mary, an overtime interception, a game-losing field goal with :04 seconds left and an awful incomplete pass that would have run out the clock and won the game. 

 

Obviously there are close losses under Frost as well, and I'm not arguing against their different qualities of rosters and such, but there was more surface level reason to defend Riley after 30 games than Frost, sadly.

 

Riley didn't have that many staunch defenders. Mostly advocates for patience combined with folks hoping to avoid another coaching search. 

 

From the BYU game on, Riley did have plenty of detractors and outright haters who didn't think he could be fired fast enough. Most of those believe Riley's year three was vindication. Despite a worse record and some recruiting/development/transfer portal issues, Scott Frost has had considerably more defenders and blame shifters. They may have a case, but I think we all bought into Scott Frost because you simply couldn't imagine a better choice in December 2017. I still had him pencilled in for another three seasons, but now I'm thinking he needs an inspired and inspiring 2021 to stem this toxic decline. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

 

Riley didn't have that many staunch defenders. Mostly advocates for patience combined with folks hoping to avoid another coaching search. 

 

From the BYU game on, Riley did have plenty of detractors and outright haters who didn't think he could be fired fast enough. Most of those believe Riley's year three was vindication. Despite a worse record and some recruiting/development/transfer portal issues, Scott Frost has had considerably more defenders and blame shifters. They may have a case, but I think we all bought into Scott Frost because you simply couldn't imagine a better choice in December 2017. I still had him pencilled in for another three seasons, but now I'm thinking he needs an inspired and inspiring 2021 to stem this toxic decline. 

 

This.

 

Riley was never a good fit, and when he performed poorly, it led to anger. At that point, the fanbase still had hope that the program could stay relevant and become winners again with the right guy in charge (and we pictured Scott Frost as being that guy).

 

Frost was the perfect fit, so now his poor performance leads to dejection and sadness moreso than anger. Many fans, including myself, are losing hope that we will ever be able to restore our former glory. At this point, I don't think I am alone in willing to be patient with Frost because: 1) I don't know what our other options are, and 2) I find myself not caring as much as I used to.

  • Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Riley had a 9 win season and a 6 win season where 4 of the losses were decided by a combined 11 points on a hail mary, an overtime interception, a game-losing field goal with :04 seconds left and an awful incomplete pass that would have run out the clock and won the game. 

 

Obviously there are close losses under Frost as well, and I'm not arguing against their different qualities of rosters and such, but there was more surface level reason to defend Riley after 30 games than Frost, sadly.

 

This is true.  But most of that assumes that the program was on equal footing at the beginning of both tenures.  And that's nowhere near being true.

  • Plus1 9
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Ulty said:

 

This.

 

Riley was never a good fit, and when he performed poorly, it led to anger. At that point, the fanbase still had hope that the program could stay relevant and become winners again with the right guy in charge (and we pictured Scott Frost as being that guy).

 

Frost was the perfect fit, so now his poor performance leads to dejection and sadness moreso than anger. Many fans, including myself, are losing hope that we will ever be able to restore our former glory. At this point, I don't think I am alone in willing to be patient with Frost because: 1) I don't know what our other options are, and 2) I find myself not caring as much as I used to.

It is nice to see some still have hope! Hang in there brother

  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment

20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think outrage is the right word, but trying to cancel the Oklahoma game really got my attention and made me sad.

 

It was a chickens#!t move and deserves to be mocked. Had Texas tried the same thing, we would be all over it. 

 

Nobody is contesting that SOMEONE at UNL looked into dropping the 50th anniversary of the Game of the Century for a creampuff opponent.  And it's a very short list of suspects. 

 

I'm not defending Scott and I'm thinking I'm in the minority on this one, but I would personally definitely trade a likely beating on national TV for a win against a powder puff to get us one more in the 'W' column.

 

The key word there is "likely." We could win that game but almost certainly won't.

 

I believe it makes more sense than people think.

  • Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, ndobney said:

It is nice to see some still have hope! Hang in there brother

 

It is hard to argue with the points made in the earlier message.  A coaching change is not in the cards until at least the end of the 2022 season.  The native son will get 5 years so there are no other options at this stage except strategic patience.  In terms of fan apathy, I think it is fair to say that while program support remains, the intensity of that support is probably diminished.  I never missed a game, a half or a play of Husker football on autumn Saturdays.  Now I routinely ignore all college football and just enjoy the afternoons outdoors.  

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

I'm not defending Scott and I'm thinking I'm in the minority on this one, but I would personally definitely trade a likely beating on national TV for a win against a powder puff to get us one more in the 'W' column.

 

The key word there is "likely." We could win that game but almost certainly won't.

 

I believe it makes more sense than people think.


I'm in the same camp I really never had a major issue with it. Many people on here have said this and Frost knows it too that NU really needs to start the season strong. Our schedule was a conference game against Illinois, Buffalo (who looked very strong earlier this year) and then at Oklahoma and Michigan State. Not only did we only have one early season recruiting opportunity, but that's a brute of a start to the year before going into a tough conference schedule. If there was an opportunity to add more home games and teams that are easier to beat so this team can gel why is that a bad thing? Sure you can argue it looks like you're scared and whatever, but there are a lot more reasons it makes sense than not. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

I'm not defending Scott and I'm thinking I'm in the minority on this one, but I would personally definitely trade a likely beating on national TV for a win against a powder puff to get us one more in the 'W' column.

 

The key word there is "likely." We could win that game but almost certainly won't.

 

I believe it makes more sense than people think.

You're correct about the W versus the L, definitely with you there. The issue was the flip from "we will go to Uzbekistan to play anyone" and "we just sued the conference in order to play" mindset of 2020 to now we want to duck this really good team to get a W in 2021. A game that fans have been looking forward to for years, myself included as I have OU family and we're going, that is honoring a historically great game. What kind of message does that send to your team? If it's on your schedule you try your best, and clap as the winners go by right?  To me it is a culture thing, that they keep talking about, to embrace the challenge and the process instead of seeking immediate gratification.

 

  • Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

I don’t understand why people are so pissed off if Frost tried to cancel the Oklahoma game. First off he was trying to get another home game against an opponent we should beat plus add money to the local economy with extra home game. Don’t get me wrong I know it’s a big game and it looks bad canceling the game but Oklahoma has their best teams in years all around so would canceling the game be worse then getting blown out. I get it was a big rivalry in the past but it’s not now. I think Frost knows where’s his team is at so if we got a game we could win instead of Oklahoma and start the year   Off 6-0 going into Michigan team filling good and fans pumped up . Because getting blown out vs Oklahoma could set us back against Michigan St. There’s to many experts that doesn’t understand what it takes to coach a team and building a program I get playing the best and beating the best but we’re not there yet. So some times you need to step back and reevaluate a situation and see what’s better for program ask yourself is 4-0 with 3 straight home games better for program or 3-1 and getting blown out to Oklahoma better for program . 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment

29 minutes ago, FootballDrought said:

Too many moments where coach needs to just shut up so he does not have to pull his foot out of his mouth.

 

I understand that the emotional, feel-good take is that "Scott's a p***y for trying to sidestep OU" (if it's even true that he engineered the idea in the first place).

 

But how does the "pull his foot out of his mouth" part equate? If it was an internal discussion, it was an internal discussion. Someone leaked it.

 

Sure, if he actually did spearhead an initiative to sidestep Oklahoma then he could have avoided the whole thing in the first place. But I'm going to go ahead and bet that if they blow us out 54-17, as the clock hits 0:00 in the 4th most fans will probably go "Yeah...I wish we had just played South Dakota State..."

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

You're correct about the W versus the L, definitely with you there. The issue was the flip from "we will go to Uzbekistan to play anyone" and "we just sued the conference in order to play" mindset of 2020 to now we want to duck this really good team to get a W in 2021. A game that fans have been looking forward to for years, myself included as I have OU family and we're going, that is honoring a historically great game. What kind of message does that send to your team? If it's on your schedule you try your best, and clap as the winners go by right?  To me it is a culture thing, that they keep talking about, to embrace the challenge and the process instead of seeking immediate gratification.

 

 

giphy.gif

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

I understand that the emotional, feel-good take is that "Scott's a p***y for trying to sidestep OU" (if it's even true that he engineered the idea in the first place).

 

But how does the "pull his foot out of his mouth" part equate? If it was an internal discussion, it was an internal discussion. Someone leaked it.

 

Sure, if he actually did spearhead an initiative to sidestep Oklahoma then he could have avoided the whole thing in the first place. But I'm going to go ahead and bet that if they blow us out 54-17, as the clock hits 0:00 in the 4th most fans will probably go "Yeah...I wish we had just played South Dakota State..."

Everyone can believe what they want to.  All of the now infamous sound bites of Frost are what rubs people the wrong way and what makes us even more of a laughing stock than we already are.  He provides all the "fuel for the fire" that any fan/writer needs. How has the B1G adjusting to us worked out so far?  The excuses get old and not wanting to play OU just shows the level of desperation.  

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

 

 

Riley had a 9 win season and a 6 win season where 4 of the losses were decided by a combined 11 points on a hail mary, an overtime interception, a game-losing field goal with :04 seconds left and an awful incomplete pass that would have run out the clock and won the game. 

 

Obviously there are close losses under Frost as well, and I'm not arguing against their different qualities of rosters and such, but there was more surface level reason to defend Riley after 30 games than Frost, sadly.

 

I don't agree with this at all. Riley inherited a team that was consistently ranked in the 20s or 30s in SP+ in Pelini's last several years and took it to the 60s in three seasons. Frost has taken a team in the 60s back into the 30s by his third season. If you are willing to apply literally any context to their two tenures this doesn't hold up.

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...