Frost vs. Hoiberg - which happens first?

Frost vs. Hoiberg - race to the top  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Taken from @Hedley Lamarr 's post here.

It's a good point to ponder.

Frost seems like he's got some better talent, especially on the O Line, than he's had before. It seems like there might be more depth across the WR corps than before. He's got a fourth-year starting QB, and maybe (per the Spring Game so yikes!) some good RBs to choose from. And he's got what looks to be a pretty salty defense. 

The key word in all of that is "seems." He hasn't been to a bowl game yet at Nebraska and we have played like a team closer to the bottom than the top of our division. 

Hoiberg is bringing in talent like we haven't seen since at least the Nee era. Lots of turnover on the roster (like a lot of teams), but there have been flashes already that he's got something cooking. 

An optimist could make an argument that both teams have upward trends. 

But which program achieves their milestone first? 

I think it depends on how you define “first”

Scott has been at Nebraska a year longer than Fred so if Fred wins a NCAA Tournament game this upcoming season he technically would be “first” even if the Huskers win a bowl game this fall (which I believe we’ll be in one and probably play a bad team that we could beat). 

if you’re going purely off calendar timing, you’d be a fool to not select winning a bowl game as there will be 2 football seasons complete before the next two NCAA Tournaments are complete. And as much as I love NU’s men’s hoops roster for this year, making the NCAA tournament seems like a tall ask for a program that’s won 5 B1G games in 2 years. My cautiously optimistic take on hoops is serious tournament contention in 2022-23 whereas football should be bowling this year and next 

If getting to a bowl game and winning a tournament game are the respective milestones, I'd probably say Frost. If the ball bounces our way a few more times in '18 and '19, those are bowl teams.

Fred's first year was pretty miserable, and I'm hesitant to be too critical of their performance last year given the circumstances. Fred seems to have gotten some talent on campus, but I think it's probably a few years before we sniff the dance.

2 minutes ago, Fru said:

If getting to a bowl game and winning a tournament game are the respective milestones, I'd probably say Frost. If the ball bounces our way a few more times in '18 and '19, those are bowl teams.

Fred's first year was pretty miserable, and I'm hesitant to be too critical of their performance last year given the circumstances. Fred seems to have gotten some talent on campus, but I think it's probably a few years before we sniff the dance.

62% of CFB teams make Bowls, 18% of CBB teams make it to the dance, 9% win a game in the dance. I'll go bowl before everything else, just because it's wayyyyyy easier of a task.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

62% of CFB teams make Bowls, 18% of CBB teams make it to the dance, 9% win a game in the dance. I'll go bowl before everything else, just because it's wayyyyyy easier of a task.

This is a great point- and it actually also puts some perspective on just how good NU’s hoops class is too. There’s 353 hoops D1 programs v 130 FBS teams- ranking 17th out of 353 plus competing with the G League, Overtime, NBL, etc for guys like Bryce McGowens really shows how impressive of a feat that is.

I voted for Hoiberg winning a tourney game with no great explanation other than it's easier to flip a basketball roster than a football roster due to sheer size. Also, based on this year's football schedule, no matter how much improved Frost's team is, they may not win six games. Hoiberg could eke out a tourney bid despite the Big Ten's strength, and he seems to have the talent to have at least a puncher's chance. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Good point.

I don't think it's unreasonable to pencil in W's for Fordham and Buffalo. That means Neb needs to nab 4 wins from Illinois, Mich St, Purdue, NW, Minnesota, Iowa, Mich, and Wis. None are a given, but I think getting four out of that group is definitely possible.

Fred likely needs a middle of the pack B1G team, with approximately 20 wins. It might be possible with the incoming talent, but I just don't see that happening this year.

Even with the 64 teams (actually 68) that get invited to the NCAAs every year, I think basketball is a tougher invite than a bowl game, where individual fanbases and revenue play into a decision with less accountability. An up and coming Nebraska football team looks good to the Holiday Bowl, but the NCAA selection committee has little to no sentiment looking at a plucky 16-14 Nebraska basketball team, in a sport where we're competing with Gonazagas, Drexels, Butlers, and lots of other teams outside the P5.

If Hoiberg gets NU to the bubble, or even the top half of the conference, we'll consider that a major success for the program moving forward. So far we haven't even been close. 

If Frost goes 6-6, he gets us to a bowl, and we've only been a game or two away from that.