Huskers NIL Promotions

9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I as well. 

high school and local sports are sounding more appealing all the time. And cheaper

Hey, I’m all for people making as much money as they can. However, they whole contract/pay/employee disputes crap is one reason I don’t watch many non-college pro sports. I deal with that every day. I really am not into having that a major part of my entertainment. 

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

And just because something is now doesn’t mean that’s the way it will stay. 

You watch, ten years down the road CFB will be dead as we know it. The have nots will give up their football programs because they can’t compete, people will ignore athletes because they will be disgusted by the pandering, and interest in general will decline. 

would be nice to be an Oregon recruit right now though. Get me some off that Nike money. 

So which is it- the Genie is out of the bottle and its going to change back like youve been saying all along and also in the first paragraph. 

Or CFB is going to be paying their players, the rich programs will survive, the poor ones wont. Like you seem to be saying in the next two paragraphs. 

It can't be both. 

Looks like Phil Knight- Mr Oregon booster has figured out a way to dump $100K into the lap of their edge rusher. What an incentive to prospective Oregon pass rushers.

Of course Knight just gave $500,000,000 to Oregon- so this is just spare change- but lots more than the pennies per hour he pays his Chinese production workers. SO it looks like rich boosters are doing their donor thing AND putting money into the pockets of players. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, this deal is going from zero to infinity quickly. Lots of people thought it was unfair and inequitable that some schools were making so much while the athletes slaved away earning only a meager $200k education with preferential treatment. The haves and have nots are about to  be separated decisively and permanently.

I have never liked this idea and have said from day one it will ruin college sports, at least as some of us knew it and used to love it. But Im an old guy who generally doesn’t like change. You younger guys (and gals) will have to live with what you asked for.

The problem isn’t that some of the better players will earn too much and that the riches won’t be shared equitably with the lesser players. That’s the least of the problems. The revolving door of players in the transfer portal just picked up rpm’s. Expected star player doesn’t produce and his endorsements and earning power dry up and he gone to the next opportunity. And the biggest loss will be the attitude of the typical fan. With the players concentrating more and more on me-me-me, the fans will inevitably transition to the pro ball mindset. It will no longer be about the achool, team, pride, appreciating commitment and hardwork. It is destined to become about the next star player, who’s contributing, who isn’t and how to remedy that as quickly as possible. This is no longer the game many of us grew up loving. There’s a reason I’ve always much preferred CFB to the pros. It will be impossible to tell the difference all too soon enough. The simple thought that the old way was not fair to the players is about to get buried in a pile and this deal is just beginning.

And I fully expect that Nebraska will be one of the schools that can make the transition and possibly even thrive in the new landscape. But at what expense? How many schools will drop the sport or be relegated to a lower status? What will it look like 5 or 10 or 20 years down the road? Where’s your crown king nothing?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 4
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, this deal is going from zero to infinity quickly. Lots of people thought it was unfair and inequitable that some schools were making so much while the athletes slaved away earning only a meager $200k education with preferential treatment. The haves and have nots are about to  be separated decisively and permanently.

I have never liked this idea and have said from day one it will ruin college sports, at least as some of us knew it and used to love it. But Im an old guy who generally doesn’t like change. You younger guys (and gals) will have to live with what you asked for.

The problem isn’t that some of the better players will earn too much and that the riches won’t be shared equitably with the lesser players. That’s the least of the problems. The revolving door of players in the transfer portal just picked up rpm’s. Expected star player doesn’t produce and his endorsements and earning power dry up and he gone to the next opportunity. And the biggest loss will be the attitude of the typical fan. With the players concentrating more and more on me-me-me, the fans will inevitably transition to the pro ball mindset. It will no longer be about the achool, team, pride, appreciating commitment and hardwork. It is destined to become about the next star player, who’s contributing, who isn’t and how to remedy that as quickly as possible. This is no longer the game many of us grew up loving. There’s a reason I’ve always much preferred CFB to the pros. It will be impossible to tell the difference all too soon enough. The simple thought that the old way was not fair to the players is about to get buried in a pile and this deal is just beginning.

And I fully expect that Nebraska will be one of the schools that can make the transition and possibly even thrive in the new landscape. But at what expense? How many schools will drop the sport or be relegated to a lower status? What will it look like 5 or 10 or 20 years down the road? Where’s your crown king nothing?

I'll add a wealthy booster has tremendous influence as well now.  Need that 5* QB?  Have the booster sponsor him for his business.  This will end college athletics (football) as we know it.  You don't start immediately?  Losing playing time?  Passed over?  Hit the portal to try and get paid.  Will players work harder or be more concerned with getting paid?Show boating to get the attention of sponsors?  When and who can talk to the kids about the money?  Is there a dead period?  Can th eschool now make players sign binding contracts?  If it's now a business, make the kids sign.  They are making money off of their "likeness", but the school gives them exposure every game day.  Not to mention money spent in recruiting, tuition etc....Want to get yours?  Contract time.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Looks like Phil Knight- Mr Oregon booster has figured out a way to dump $100K into the lap of their edge rusher. What an incentive to prospective Oregon pass rushers.

Of course Knight just gave $500,000,000 to Oregon- so this is just spare change- but lots more than the pennies per hour he pays his Chinese production workers. 

But we can still be competitive in our conference, right? 

Im scared

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'll add a wealthy booster has tremendous influence as well now.  Need that 5* QB?  Have the booster sponsor him for his business.  This will end college athletics (football) as we know it.  You don't start immediately?  Losing playing time?  Passed over?  Hit the portal to try and get paid.  Will players work harder or be more concerned with getting paid?Show boating to get the attention of sponsors?  When and who can talk to the kids about the money?  Is there a dead period?  Can th eschool now make players sign binding contracts?  If it's now a business, make the kids sign.  They are making money off of their "likeness", but the school gives them exposure every game day.  Not to mention money spent in recruiting, tuition etc....Want to get yours?  Contract time.

Yep. There is an almost endless list of things to not like about where this is headed. The downside dwarfs the small insignificant problem that was trying to be solved. I don’t know anybody that thinks big money donors should have significantly more say in things…..but they do now. Any school/team that is not cutting underperformers lose and seeking to replace them is going to get passed by. That used to not be a thing (for non sec schools). The schools with the resources and donors will rise to the top, to a greater extent than already happens, which will inevitably force more schools out of the sports business (which is all it is now). Fans will feel entitled to demand players perform. Effort and heart and team are now concepts of a bygone era. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

So can you just pay guys to not take a scholarship, but still be on the roster?  You could have a roster of 200, but none of your 5 stars are scholarship. Hell if you’re  rich enough, you could pay players to not play just so no one else can have them. 

And the transfer portal is going to be like an auction house. Paid 100,000 this year, maybe your rival will pay you 200,000 next year. 

and just because the NCAA can’t tell players not to take money, can a college? I could see this being addressed through conferences. Like a fairness doctrine.  This is not going to last like this. Even pro sports have rules and caps. 

I have never looked less forward to a season beginning. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. There is an almost endless list of things to not like about where this is headed. The downside dwarfs the small insignificant problem that was trying to be solved. I don’t know anybody that thinks big money donors should have significantly more say in things…..but they do now. Any school/team that is not cutting underperformers lose and seeking to replace them is going to get passed by. That used to not be a thing (for non sec schools). The schools with the resources and donors will rise to the top, to a greater extent than already happens, which will inevitably force more schools out of the sports business (which is all it is now). Fans will feel entitled to demand players perform. Effort and heart and team are now concepts of a bygone era. 

Very true. How a lot of our societies supposed issues are being addressed today.  

The patient came in with a flesh wound and while injured, was not going to die, in fact they were ALWAYS going to end up quite healthy. The patient thought they needed serious treatment and insisted on surgery of some sort,  so the Doctor amputated 3 of the patients healthy limbs, the damaged one is going to heal quite nicely on its own. 

These are the schools that will survive this Pay to Play fiasco. Do they all end up in some type of super conference- with the fringe and dont care about football programs forming their own second tier conferences? Or do the remnants limp along in their existing conferences with little or no chance of ever competing and losing most of their best players every season ?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/09/11/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_content=1767447790&utm_campaign=sprinklrForbesMainTwitter&sh=2837f0f96c64