Huskers NIL Promotions

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm....I'm guessing Jaz Shelley is living pretty well.

That girl is a gold mine.  Pretty, smart, awesome accent, and a great athlete.  Might make more than any of the athletes before her career is done.  

• Oh Yeah! 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just listened to the Casey Thompson interview.  One thing he said caught me.  He said a bunch of players (like 70-80 players across all sports) are given cars and apartments.  That adds up pretty fast.  12 months at $1,500 is $18,000 just on an apartment.  Maybe you throw in a $50,000 car.  Then you're at $68,000.  A few other deals and you're at $100,000.

I found it interesting that he mentioned women's basketball.  Hmmm....I'm guessing Jaz Shelley is living pretty well.

If I was a company looking to gift/pay players, an apartment would be the last thing I'd offer. They already have room and board paid for, and if they live off campus they just get a check cut for the room & board amount (which is almost always significantly more than they'll pay in rent with some roommates off campus)

6 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

If I was a company looking to gift/pay players, an apartment would be the last thing I'd offer. They already have room and board paid for, and if they live off campus they just get a check cut for the room & board amount (which is almost always significantly more than they'll pay in rent with some roommates off campus)

Now they can live off campus free, and not need roommates, and still get the money from the university for housing....

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Red Five said:

I'm not saying Casey is misleading anyone, I am sure he is just repeating what he was told.  I wouldn't be surprised if AD made 6 figures, so the statement is correct.

I do question the NIL being better in Lincoln than Austin.  I mean each UT OL gets $50k for just being on the team.  I can see a world where Quinn Ewers earns more NIL this year than our entire team.

I have little doubt that boosters in Austin are paying a lot of money to recruits using NIL as a cover now but in terms of actual companies paying for athletes to advertise I just dont see it in Austin. People here dont care as much about the team as the majority of the state of Nebraska does. Maybe I'm just missing it but ive barely seen anything here in Austin as far as players doing ads. 

50 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

People here dont care as much about the team as the majority of the state of Nebraska does. Maybe I'm just missing it but ive barely seen anything here in Austin as far as players doing ads. 

Hard to know for sure, but I think the strategy is different when you're in the middle of a major urban center with lots of other interests. The Austin metro population is more than our entire state, and there are plenty of people interested in things other than UT sports (although I'm sure there are still plenty of fans, just the percentage is dilluted). Would make more sense in that way to focus on deals that help your program win moreso than deals that are gonna make for good advertisements for your BBQ place when tons of folks don't know who the spokesperson is.

• 2 weeks later...

SSO on Nebraska and NIL towards the bottom of the article.

https://herbieshangout.com/2022/03/31/spring-talk-nil-sc-changes/

But the problem is, we don’t have much more money for NIL. One of the narratives that Matt Davison is pushing now is that we are really lucky that we got approved for our new facility when we did, because people really aren’t doing that anymore. Other schools are spending most donor money on NIL to get the best players. Time will tell if facilities will matter as much to the kids as getting 1 million dollars. When I say we don’t have much more money for NIL, we still are only about 60% to our goal for dollars raised for the facility. Meanwhile A&M just paid 35 million dollars just to get kids to sign on the dotted line. No building. No tweeting. Just sign kid. One of the coaches looked at me candidly and said “so did he say we just wasted money on this facility?” I don’t think that’s the case personally, we were due for an upgrade. If Moos wouldn’t have extended Hoiberg and Frost probably would have had an easier time sooner. For a guy that loved spending money, not sure what was going on there.

But the bottom line is NIL is important, and we need to be spending more of it. It’s going to come down to money for the TCU transfer. His visit here he’s seeing the normal stuff, but a package is being presented to him on what he would get coming here.

• Plus1 1

Between NilBraska, Opendorse, ABM, The Brandr Group, and Fanword among others, Nebraska is doing very well compared to national nil opportunities. And that's not including the independent offers or donation sites like Patreon. 

Other than self control and schedule management issues where kids are learning how to handle having to turn down or limit their nil activity during the season and other athletic commitments, which is generally minimally bumpy there has been only one major issue with the NIL opportunities and athletes getting to maximize them has been the nightmare noone saw coming that is currently a massive problem nationally but has hit a few Nebraska players incredibly hard. 

For some stupid reason, when the idiots at the ncaa and Washington hammered out this NIL stuff noone bothered to check how NIL was going to affect players who are here on an international visa. Because being on a visa for school is very different from being here on a work visa and it's causing international players and school administrators massive headaches. International players are having to be very careful and most of them are not able to get any NIL money without putting themselves in severe jeopardy with the feds. 

• Plus1 1