How Nebraska Can Take A Massive Leap With NIL

Nebraska carries a massive roster now that Frost wants us to keep getting walk-ons...so that made me think that there should be a local company/brand etc. that should strictly support walk-ons. This could be a solid incentive for kids who get scholarships at places like SDSU, UNI, or a MAC school vs walk-on at Nebraska. We could reach out to them and explain all the benefits of being a walk-on at Nebraska has along with the ones we currently have in place. Thoughts?

That would require a lot of support from local companies to reward the walk-ons to come anywhere close to covering the cost of college attendance.  If I owned a local company, I would rather use my $ which would provide me with the most exposure or interest.  People are going to be more interested in the big-name player/hot female athlete rather than walk-on who may never see the field.

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That would require a lot of support from local companies to reward the walk-ons to come anywhere close to covering the cost of college attendance.  If I owned a local company, I would rather use my $ which would provide me with the most exposure or interest.  People are going to be more interested in the big-name player/hot female athlete rather than walk-on who may never see the field.

You are stating reality, but missing what is a HUGE opportunity for NU. For 70 walk on kids that pot would have to be pretty massive to be divied up to the point it came anywhere close to the cost of covering tuition.

Split 70 ways thats a bit under $10K each. And its doubtful those dollars would get them much of a return in additional sales revenue for a local company trying to make profits and be efficient with their add spend.

OTOH if a MEGA BOOSTER who didnt have a care about getting a return would do the same, say invest $1,500,000 in a fund designed to "promote his company" with the voices of the walk on. That could possibly happen. That would mean each walk on would get about $20K

THAT IS WHY I SAID EARLIER THAT MAYBE IT MAKES SENSE NOT TO INVEST IN BIG FACILITY PROJECTS AND INSTEAD DIRECT THOSE DONOR DOLLARS TO BE FUNNELLED LIKE THIS INTO PLAYER SALARIES. 

Think about how $155 million in player salaries return might look like compared to what we are getting with a $155 million facility upgrade

5 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

You are stating reality, but missing what is a HUGE opportunity for NU. For 70 walk on kids that pot would have to be pretty massive to be divied up to the point it came anywhere close to the cost of covering tuition. Most people just don't get business. They arent in business to provide charity to others, but to earn a profit and very few have an advertising budget of even $1,000,000. 

Split 70 ways thats a bit under $10K each. And its doubtful those dollars would get them much of a return in additional sales revenue.

OTOH if a MEGA BOOSTER who didnt have a care about getting a return would do the same, say invest $1,500,000 in a fund designed to "promote his company" with the voices of the walk on. That could possibly happen. That would mean each one of them got about $20K

THAT IS WHY I SAID EARLIER THAT MAYBE IT MAKES SENSE NOT TO INVEST IN BIG FACILITY PROJECTS AND INSTEAD DIRECT THOSE DONOR DOLLARS TO BE FUNNELLED LIKE THIS INTO PLAYER SALARIES. 

Think about how $155 million in player salaries return might look like compared to what we are getting with a $155 million facility upgrade

If you were a walk on

What would be more important to you:

$20K in cash annually to pay for my education- $80K over 4 years

OR being able to use a real cool upgraded facility, hmm. Would take less than a second for them to decide that one. 

Here we are only talking about $1,500,000 which is just 1 PERCENT of the cost of the latest facility upgrade

Most people have NO CLUE how dramatically this will change the college football landscape

51 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Nebraska carries a massive roster now that Frost wants us to keep getting walk-ons...so that made me think that there should be a local company/brand etc. that should strictly support walk-ons. This could be a solid incentive for kids who get scholarships at places like SDSU, UNI, or a MAC school vs walk-on at Nebraska. We could reach out to them and explain all the benefits of being a walk-on at Nebraska has along with the ones we currently have in place. Thoughts?

from pandemic, to the portal, to NIL.

welcome to a f'd up new world.

hard too build a team culture when we are all about the individual (s).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

If you were a walk on

What would be more important to you:

$20K in cash annually to pay for my education- $80K over 4 years

OR being able to use a real cool upgraded facility, hmm. Would take less than a second for them to decide that one. 

Here we are only talking about $1,500,000 which is just 1 PERCENT of the cost of the latest facility upgrade

Most people have NO CLUE how dramatically this will change the college football landscape

I never stated each walk-on would get the equal scholarship money - news flash, they wouldn't have to. Going to Nebraska and earning some money while playing here, training here, eating here, going to games here vs a 1AA is a big difference to a lot of kids. They also still have the chance to get a scholarship before their playing time is over at UNL. 

16 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I never stated each walk-on would get the equal scholarship money - news flash, they wouldn't have to. Going to Nebraska and earning some money while playing here, training here, eating here, going to games here vs a 1AA is a big difference to a lot of kids. They also still have the chance to get a scholarship before their playing time is over at UNL. 

I never said you did. 

I was simply stating what is possible with the NIL rules now in place. Newsflash- VERY doable in light of our boosters ponying up $155,000,000 in facility upgrade money.  Simple math. $1,500,000 is a tiny fraction of that amount. 

And the promise of a walk on getting a full ride is really really really low. Out of what 70-80 kids they make a big deal about 1-2 or maybe 3 getting one for a semester. LONG odds at best

NIL is the way to go- booster/boosters pony up $1,500,000 in "promo" dollars and all 70 get "full" rides. The "county" scholarship becomes a reality- not fiction in some Colorado coaches mind. 

While there are a number of athletes who will make really good money selling their likeness for endorsements, apparel, and other opportunities, I think people are grossly over-valuing how much these players are going to make.  Also, as Jaws has pointed out, the NIL deal doesn't allow for free handouts for every player imaginable.

A car dealer may bring in a player for an autograph session, or a restaurant will bring in a player for an appearance/shout out on Twitter.  But, the opportunities for these players aren't going to be for ten's of thousands of dollars, up and down the roster.  While boosters may have lots of money, they didn't accumulate that money by giving it all away.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But, the opportunities for these players aren't going to be for ten's of thousands of dollars, up and down the roster.  While boosters may have lots of money, they didn't accumulate that money by giving it all away.

Boosters have paid tens of millions in order to improve the program. Our $155,000,000 facility upgrade is one example.

What would be the difference in ponying up tens of  millions for those type of upgrades, when upgrades in talent would mean MUCH more and MUCH more quickly at a lower price? Like I pointed out 1.5 million would mean about 20 k for every walk on. 50K for every scholarship kid would mean another $4 million. 5.5 million would be the total,  far less than what boosters are contributing now. 

17 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Boosters have paid tens of millions in order to improve the program. Our $155,000,000 facility upgrade is one example.

What would be the difference in ponying up tens of  millions for those type of upgrades, when upgrades in talent would mean MUCH more and MUCH more quickly at a lower price? Like I pointed out 1.5 million would mean about 20 k for every walk on. 50K for every scholarship kid would mean another $4 million. 5.5 million would be the total,  far less than what boosters are contributing now. 

Boosters are contributing these funds for special projects and construction items.  These are "one-time" donations which they are willing to pony up big $ to the University.  I also think these donors get tax deductions for donating to a construction project for the University.

With the NIL, the University can't collect additional funds from donors and pay those out to the players as a "salary".  

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Boosters are contributing these funds for special projects and construction items.  These are "one-time" donations which they are willing to pony up big $ to the University.  I also think these donors get tax deductions for donating to a construction project for the University.

With the NIL, the University can't collect additional funds from donors and pay those out to the players as a "salary".  

Never said that they would. 

For example- Donor creating a promotional sponsorship for say ALL walkons- say 75 kids. They have 1.5 million to spend. That would be $20K in money going into each players personal account from the boosters place of business for being part of being the official "walk on sponsor". Each player does some type of required tweet, shout out, video promoting said business to earn the $20K and that is a legitimate business expense. Pretty simple actually. 

Most large companies pay for endorsements, sponsorships, brand building and PR. Nothing different here. 

Boosters arent idiots, they had to have smarts to get to where they are. They understand you get what you pay for when it comes to talent- they do that in their businesses. They will get that in order to compete- we will have to insure our players are well paid- BETTER paid than our competitors to improve our teams lot. It is what it is- this is what the landscape is thanks to NIL.