How Nebraska Can Take A Massive Leap With NIL

15 minutes ago, nic said:

Can schools fork over money to help/educate kids on how to market themselves? Even directly help with the marketing?

NU entered an agreement with Opendorse to do this for the players. That was set up a year ago. Branding and digital experts.  

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Football-Name-Image-Likeness-Open-Dorse-Adrian-Martinez-Lexi-Sun-Luke-McCaffrey-148028321/

7 minutes ago, jaws said:

I can only imagine the return on investment for paying 75 walk-ons with 10 social media followers to promote something. 

if the goal of the booster is to improve the program- maybe it is. They could spend 1.5 million in a facilities upgrade donation. OR they could spend 1.5 million to get a bunch of pretty good walk ons who have been great contributors on scholarship at places like North Dakota State, SDSU etc. 

If their GOAL is to improve the program- this is one avenue to do it. Is a good walk on swayed more by a beautiful facility or 20K in his pocket/ his parents not having to pay for his college. A very simple way for the donor to meet his goal- improving the athletic program- could care less about the advertising return. Just like he didnt care about the juice it scored him for making the facilities upgrade donation. 

Its inevitable. Just think about it, the $155,000,000 facilities upgrade. That could have been $7,000,000 in payroll for over 20 years. Which would go something like $20K for every walk on and $70K for every scholarship player annually. 

20 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

if the goal of the booster is to improve the program- maybe it is. They could spend 1.5 million in a facilities upgrade donation. OR they could spend 1.5 million to get a bunch of pretty good walk ons who have been great contributors on scholarship at places like North Dakota State, SDSU etc. 

If their GOAL is to improve the program- this is one avenue to do it. Is a good walk on swayed more by a beautiful facility or 20K in his pocket/ his parents not having to pay for his college. A very simple way for the donor to meet his goal- improving the athletic program- could care less about the advertising return. Just like he didnt care about the juice it scored him for making the facilities upgrade donation. 

Its inevitable. Just think about it, the $155,000,000 facilities upgrade. That could have been $7,000,000 in payroll for over 20 years. Which would go something like $20K for every walk on and $70K for every scholarship player annually. 

Keep reaching. It is 2021, Alabama is showing a 5 star how much they can make through NIL and a Nebraska fan wants to relive the glory days by paying a walk-on pocket change. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, jaws said:

Keep reaching. It is 2021, Alabama is showing a 5 star how much they can make through NIL and a Nebraska fan wants to relive the glory days by paying a walk-on pocket change. 

Nope - missed the point entirely. 

Showing how players can be compensated in general. The net is- donor money can now be funneled directly to players. This is just the façade being used to facilitate this happening. 

My point is NU has $155 million in donor money going for a facility that may be better used for player salaries. Donors goal is improve the program. Plan A- Donor X donates  $2 million to the University for Facility improvements. Plan B Same Donor donates/spends $2 million at players through NIL-

Question- which will help the donor meet his goal of improving the program the fastest? Most likely player salaries- which I guess we can now call NIL- endorsements. Potato potatoe  

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Nope - missed the point entirely. 

Showing how players can be compensated in general. The net is- donor money can now be funneled directly to players. This is just the façade being used to facilitate this happening. 

My point is NU has $155 million in donor money going for a facility that may be better used for player salaries. Donors goal is improve the program. Plan A- they dontate money to the University for Facility improvements. Plan B they throw a bunch of money at players through NIL-

Question- which will help the donor meet his goal of improving the program the fastest? Most likely player salaries- which I guess we can now call NIL- endorsements. Potato potatoe  

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I missed your point. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

A couple upsides that NU will have is that

1. there is no major sports team in the state and Nebraska football is easily the biggest ticket in town/the whole state

2. there are a lot of opportunities across the state, and even just across the Iowa, Ks, and Mo borders for players to make extra money. 

NU has a great setup for the NIL, much better than say Texas schools, or many Big Ten schools that will have to compete with major league teams for funds. 

When I played college FB at Pitt State (small D2 school in Pittsburg Ks), it was hard to find a job, as pretty much every company was a booster to the school due to the small community size. IF Nebraska's athletic department plays this right, it could be something in 10 years we look back on as the thing that got the program back on track

28 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

A couple upsides that NU will have is that

1. there is no major sports team in the state and Nebraska football is easily the biggest ticket in town/the whole state

2. there are a lot of opportunities across the state, and even just across the Iowa, Ks, and Mo borders for players to make extra money. 

NU has a great setup for the NIL, much better than say Texas schools, or many Big Ten schools that will have to compete with major league teams for funds. 

When I played college FB at Pitt State (small D2 school in Pittsburg Ks), it was hard to find a job, as pretty much every company was a booster to the school due to the small community size. IF Nebraska's athletic department plays this right, it could be something in 10 years we look back on as the thing that got the program back on track

We were small boosters to the athletic program. I hired one of our starting fullbacks to work the summer during the Solich era. Small company 180 employees. The compliance office called and had us fill out a bunch of paperwork- just making sure we paid him the same as we would the person who had the job previously. Which we did. 

48 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I agree there are companies which will give out endorsements, but you are confusing the private donations with funds which will be paid out by companies.  However, they will pale in comparison that the private donors do with their own money, which they use for tax deductions.

Let's take NU"s biggest donor for example, Howard Hawks.  I am not sure if he is still at his company, Tenaska, but even though that it is a privately held company, I think the owners of Tenaska would balk at a sudden and huge increase of advertising and promotions expenses as a way to funnel $ to NU athletes.  Especially since I don't know how an endorsement from NU athletes would "help" an energy company like Tenaska.

35 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree there are companies which will give out endorsements, but you are confusing the private donations with funds which will be paid out by companies.  However, they will pale in comparison that the private donors do with their own money, which they use for tax deductions.

Let's take NU"s biggest donor for example, Howard Hawks.  I am not sure if he is still at his company, Tenaska, but even though that it is a privately held company, I think the owners of Tenaska would balk at a sudden and huge increase of advertising and promotions expenses as a way to funnel $ to NU athletes.  Especially since I don't know how an endorsement from NU athletes would "help" an energy company like Tenaska.

I understand what you are saying. I have no reservations saying someone like Howard Hawks, who Im sure has LLCs or Corps that he controls outside of Tenaska could find a simple way to funnel money to athletes through simple promotions of his present or former company or favorite cause for that matter. People get their panties in a bunch about tax "writeoffs". At the end of the day most of the money comes directly out of your own pocket. Those kind of guys if money is the issue, you just reduce by the amount of the tax advantage.