How Nebraska Can Take A Massive Leap With NIL

14 hours ago, runningblind said:

You two clearly missed the part where it just says the athletes can be paid market rate for services rendered. I hate to tell you this, but beyond maybe 3 kids that won't equate to much.  Definitely not a crap ton of cash as you say and it's still against the rules for boosters to hand over big mac stacks or do anything of the sort.  You're over reacting.

It's very difficult to determine the "market rate" for a service that is so new or to rate a players ability to generate additional business. You aren't telling the compliance office that youre used to paying x dollars per hour for a car washer and player B is doing that task. 

Some players have already set an appearance rate- I saw one somewhere at $500 per hour. Some big booster who loves the Huskers and throws money at the program to make it better say owns several big car dealerships. What stops him from hiring said player to show up every Saturday not in football season for 8 hours. I guess said player could pick up what $120K doing just that. 

Car dealership owner was planning on donating $150K for facility upgrade- little to no benefit to his business. Instead he throws his money at QB prospect- and maybe gets some incremental sales. Sounds like a win/win. 

• Plus1 2
  • 1 month later...

This is just the beginning

Those who choose to put their head in the sand on this- are definitely on the wrong side of history. 

For many of those who have complained that NU is missing out on walk ons who go to NDSU and the like due to the high cost of tuition- that problem is now solved if a big donor decides to do exactly what the BYU booster is doing for their walk ons. 

On 7/1/2021 at 10:47 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

That would require a lot of support from local companies to reward the walk-ons to come anywhere close to covering the cost of college attendance.  If I owned a local company, I would rather use my $ which would provide me with the most exposure or interest.  People are going to be more interested in the big-name player/hot female athlete rather than walk-on who may never see the field.

Looks like BYU has blown this out of the water. 

Its just the beginning. 

On 7/1/2021 at 11:22 AM, runningblind said:

I might not have any clue about the effect on college football, but thanks for showing me how to use caps lock.

Yes- NIL- nothing to see here and you were correct about not having any clue about NIL effect

BYU just had a guy pony up to play for the tuition of all their walk ons

Nothing to see here. 

On 7/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, runningblind said:

You two clearly missed the part where it just says the athletes can be paid market rate for services rendered. I hate to tell you this, but beyond maybe 3 kids that won't equate to much.  Definitely not a crap ton of cash as you say and it's still against the rules for boosters to hand over big mac stacks or do anything of the sort.  You're over reacting.

A BYU booster who owns an energy bar company just paid 37 Walk ons the equivalent of their tuition for the year. Its just the beginning- you were wrong. https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/12/byu-football-nil-deal-walk-on-tuition-built-bar

6 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

A BYU booster who owns an energy bar company just paid 37 Walk ons the equivalent of their tuition for the year. Its just the beginning- you were wrong. https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/12/byu-football-nil-deal-walk-on-tuition-built-bar

Yep. I was wrong. Let's see how many others do beyond the mormons paying their walk ons and how that actually affects recruiting and on field performance.

14 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Yep. I was wrong. Let's see how many others do beyond the mormons paying their walk ons and how that actually affects recruiting and on field performance.

First year deal

Miami is paying all of its roster also- about $6k per year. It's just the beginning. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/miami-booster-offers-540000-nil-endorsement-deal-to-all-hurricanes-scholarship-football-players/

My Mormon friends in Utah are pretty dang frugal, even the wealthy ones- not sure why. Im guessing it will have an impact. Free tuition seems to be very popular with many. It certainly would be here. 

You did see that Ohio State grabbed up a High School kid who decided to pass up his Senior year so he could make 7 figures this season. I know- nothing to see, not changing the game at all. . https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2021/07/28/quarterback-commit-quinn-ewers-could-enroll-early-ohio-state/5407567001/

19 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes- NIL- nothing to see here and you were correct about not having any clue about NIL effect

BYU just had a guy pony up to play for the tuition of all their walk ons

Nothing to see here. 

I'm not sure I like the new normal, or the beginning of it, but really what is the best use of the football slush money?

• a 100 million renovation of a facility that's 20 years old?
  • an extra $1,000 in the QB's pocket?
  • a scholarship for the scout team player who is taking a beating to help the team and is unlikely to see the field?

19 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

My Mormon friends in Utah are pretty dang frugal, even the wealthy ones- not sure why. Im guessing it will have an impact. Free tuition seems to be very popular with many. It certainly would be here. 

They bring a ten dollar bill and the ten commandments and don't break either one. 

• Plus1 1