Jump to content


How Nebraska Can Take A Massive Leap With NIL


Recommended Posts

I own my own company and let me tell you what, the last and I mean LAST thing on the planet I'm doing with an extra $20k is sponsoring a $%^&!$% walk-on.  There are literally 20k other things I could do with that money.

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

45 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I own my own company and let me tell you what, the last and I mean LAST thing on the planet I'm doing with an extra $20k is sponsoring a $%^&!$% walk-on.  There are literally 20k other things I could do with that money.

 

You arent part of the small group of mega donors that raised $155,000,000 for the facility upgrade. I also own several small businesses and will not be participating in this either- Im not part of that group either. The point is- there are people like that and they have donated tens of millions to improve the program- they will find a way to contribute to improve our roster as well. They have a lot more than both of us.

 

AND the walk on example was just an example of how money could be very easily  funneled to players- which it can. Not anything we should do- something that CAN be done as an example. This NIL will start out clunky, small and simple and then evolve into the big gorilla muscle behind college football. 

 

Its not my money- BUT if my goal was to help improve the roster my first step would be using the funds to attract the best HS and transfer talent available in the 500 mile radius and outbid the teams like Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri,  Arizona State etc that are beating us out for some of these better players. I would establish what position groups got paid X amount and it would incorporate their potential. Yes, a five star QB makes X, and a 3 star Olinemen makes Y. Get around negotiating with the prospective players. 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

 

You arent part of the small group of mega donors that raised $155,000,000 for the facility upgrade. I also own several small businesses and will not be participating in this either- Im not part of that group either. The point is- there are people like that and they have donated tens of millions to improve the program- they will find a way to contribute to improve our roster as well. They have a lot more than both of us.

 

AND the walk on example was just an example of how money could be very easily  funneled to players- which it can. Not anything we should do- something that CAN be done as an example. This NIL will start out clunky, small and simple and then evolve into the big gorilla muscle behind college football. 

 

Its not my money- BUT if my goal was to help improve the roster my first step would be using the funds to attract the best HS and transfer talent available in the 500 mile radius and outbid the teams like Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri,  Arizona State etc that are beating us out for some of these better players. I would establish what position groups got paid X amount and it would incorporate their potential. Yes, a five star QB makes X, and a 3 star Olinemen makes Y. Get around negotiating with the prospective players. 

Funny you used “out bid”. I used the same wording in a conversation this morning. College athletics is now a bidding war

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, HANC said:

Funny you used “out bid”. I used the same wording in a conversation this morning. College athletics is now a bidding war

Just started an arms race.  I think NU's best move will be to explain to a 5* player, yes you can go to Bama/Clemson/OU (insert top 10 team) and make money.  In your junior year.  Or come to NU and make bank day 1 week 1.......

 

I do not think we will recognize college football in 2 years.

 

And if players can now make money, is there a reason (or more reason) to monitor the recruiting process or allow year round access to the kids.....

Link to comment

I believe this just legitimizes the playing field and allows Nebraska to compete with the money being thrown at kids from every SEC/ACC school and most upper echelon programs. With the right coach and culture, the program will return to being a breeding ground to the NFL. The question I have is whether their plan of action with the NIL turns out to be a better model which better prepares kids for their future rather than a big mac with extra benji’s 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

59 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think a lot of you are greatly over estimating this and its impact.  I doubt much will change as far as where the recruits are going in 5 years.  Kids will make some but not nearly as much as your talking about.


Over estimating the impact.... You don’t think this changes recruiting? It won’t change it for the 5* kids but it will be harder to have 4* depth like the tier 1 schools have. This will or should level the playing field. Teams like Nebraska SHOULD benefit. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, HANC said:

Funny you used “out bid”. I used the same wording in a conversation this morning. College athletics is now a bidding war

 

College athletics has always been a bidding war. It used to be a bidding war, and it still is a bidding war, in which players are more free and able to do better for themselves.

 

 

 

 

2 hours ago, VizionNE said:


Over estimating the impact.... You don’t think this changes recruiting? 

 

Saying that someone is over-estimating something doesn't mean that you don't think that something exists at all...

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Any school that can show athletes that they can earn a crap ton of $$ because they will get big time boosters to support their financial endeavors will have a DISTINCT advantage. Any recruit walk in and see that a successful player is making X amount here but only making a smaller amount somewhere else, will be a huge determining factor.. $$$ talks

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, HANC said:

Any school that can show athletes that they can earn a crap ton of $$ because they will get big time boosters to support their financial endeavors will have a DISTINCT advantage. Any recruit walk in and see that a successful player is making X amount here but only making a smaller amount somewhere else, will be a huge determining factor.. $$$ talks

 

Anyone that doesn't understand this- has their head in the sand. It's the new reality. VERY simple

 

Link to comment

2 hours ago, HANC said:

Any school that can show athletes that they can earn a crap ton of $$ because they will get big time boosters to support their financial endeavors will have a DISTINCT advantage. Any recruit walk in and see that a successful player is making X amount here but only making a smaller amount somewhere else, will be a huge determining factor.. $$$ talks

 

2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

 

Anyone that doesn't understand this- has their head in the sand. It's the new reality. VERY simple

 

You two clearly missed the part where it just says the athletes can be paid market rate for services rendered. I hate to tell you this, but beyond maybe 3 kids that won't equate to much.  Definitely not a crap ton of cash as you say and it's still against the rules for boosters to hand over big mac stacks or do anything of the sort.  You're over reacting.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

 

You two clearly missed the part where it just says the athletes can be paid market rate for services rendered. I hate to tell you this, but beyond maybe 3 kids that won't equate to much.  Definitely not a crap ton of cash as you say and it's still against the rules for boosters to hand over big mac stacks or do anything of the sort.  You're over reacting.

"Market Rate" is terrible legal jargon that has been thoroughly dismissed in the courts in this context. You are reading it as the average of what everyone else gets which is fine when determining what reimbursement rates might be. However, if you can get that rate then it is literally "market rate". There is nothing that says where any individual would fall on the spectrum of current rates. It is well documented that Kylie Jenner makes over $1,000,000 per Instagram post. Saying that only a handful of athletes will be significantly impacted is likely short-sighted. It might still be illegal to just hand recruits piles of cash but I can't see how any coach will walk into a player's home without being able to talk to their player marketing department and show actual revenue numbers. Those numbers being directly impacted by business owners(boosters) and very likely growing as people figure out how to do this more effectively.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, zeWilbur said:

"Market Rate" is terrible legal jargon that has been thoroughly dismissed in the courts in this context. You are reading it as the average of what everyone else gets which is fine when determining what reimbursement rates might be. However, if you can get that rate then it is literally "market rate". There is nothing that says where any individual would fall on the spectrum of current rates. It is well documented that Kylie Jenner makes over $1,000,000 per Instagram post. Saying that only a handful of athletes will be significantly impacted is likely short-sighted. It might still be illegal to just hand recruits piles of cash but I can't see how any coach will walk into a player's home without being able to talk to their player marketing department and show actual revenue numbers. Those numbers being directly impacted by business owners(boosters) and very likely growing as people figure out how to do this more effectively.

There's potential sure but folks have already pointed out boosters aren't just going to fling cash for promotions at any kid who isn't a superstar for the school.  Some will get paid, most won't.  So they can sell potential but you now can get that at any school.  I don't see a flood of recruits coming to Lincoln just for this when they can make similar amounts at most power 5 schools also.

 

Nebraskans care more than most yes, but a lot of other places do still care and have potential as well. Some posters make it sound like Nebraska will have some huge advantage now and that's just false.

Link to comment

It depends on what you consider a large amount of money, opendorse founder Blake Lawrence said he thinks Adrian Martinez could make up to $150,000. While most players won't make near that, it's not crazy to think that a lot of contributors could make 20 or 30k in 4 years

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...