Tangent Thread - Pizza and Taco Edition

14 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This one is tough, as they both have their place. Potato Oles are tasty, but my goodness the salt is insane on those. 

I'm going to vote "Amigos at 2 in the morning walking home to campus from the bars".

They are salty for sure.  But tasty!

Amigo's vs Romeo's?  LOL  

I miss Nebraska spots!!!

Strictly Street Tacos:

Taqueria Tijuana in South O, my favorite. Their al pastor and barbacoa is real good. The best lingua I’ve tried too, not the diced chewy lookin lingua, but slow cooked so it’s tender and the seasonings are flavorful (Then walk across the street to International Bakery. They have real good bolillos, empanadas, hostess style cupcakes, donuts. Bang for you buck too).

Lina’s on 84th and Brentwood, different owners than all locations. That is the best Lina’s in town and their steak street tacos rival any in Omaha. Not as good but comparable to La Jua’s in Sioux City.

Dos De Oros taco truck on 24th is a clutch spot too, especially for late night. Hard to find anything good to eat after 10pm in Omaha. 

Taco John > Taco Bell

• Plus1 3
On 6/30/2021 at 4:08 PM, teachercd said:

I am a bit of a foodie when it comes to cheap pizza!

Pizza is one of those foods where price really doesn't seem to matter.  Sort of like Burgers and dogs.

I think the best dogs I have ever had are street vendor dogs, usually pretty cheap.  

Actually Costco's $1.50 foot long and drink (pop) is not only a good deal - but the dog itself is pretty good. Of course, they don't have all of the toppings - just the ketchup and mustard - but the dog itself is top notch.   Company Execs wanted to raise the price but the founder or CEO said no way - even if it was a price loser for them - kind of trade mark thing for them.

One of my favorite dogs growing up was from a Dairy Queen in Mankato, Mn.  We'd stop there every time on our way from Parker SD to the Twin Cities to see relatives. Those hot dogs had a skin that snapped when you ate them.  Some of the best ever growing up.  I think there was a place in Mankato that made them fresh for Dairy Queen and other businesses. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

20 hours ago, lo country said:

Since Frost appears safe, I'll throw out another question.

Taco Johns or Taco Bell?  I'm a fan of Taco Johns even though it's been years.  I'd love some Potato Ole's!

Taco Johns hands down. But there are none in Tulsa.  So, when we get back to SD we stop there.

• Oh Yeah! 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

3 good food posts in a row!

I just wish Runza would open up a place in Tulsa or within 100 miles of Tulsa.   My wife and I, on our way to Estes Park,  would always stop at the Runza on (appropriately named) Lincoln Street in Loveland. Co.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I just wish Runza would open up a place in Tulsa or within 100 miles of Tulsa.   My wife and I, on our way to Estes Park,  would always stop at the Runza on (appropriately named) Lincoln Street in Loveland. Co.  

Their burgers and fries are great.  I never really get a Runza though.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, lo country said:

Since Frost appears safe, I'll throw out another question.

Taco Johns or Taco Bell?  I'm a fan of Taco Johns even though it's been years.  I'd love some Potato Ole's!

Taco Johns. I was just in the region recently and there's three places I try to visit, besides seeing my relatives of course (some say I go to those places before I visit them which is not true... sometimes. :D  )

Goodrich malt (a must)

Godfather's Pizza (not as good as it used to be so it's not the priority it used to be, didn't get there this trip)

Taco Johns.

In Council Bluffs on east Broadway there's a Blimpie/Goodrich shop and half a block south a Taco Johns. On that really hot day mid-June I drove 50+ miles to get a malt, walked to TJ in 100 degree heat (it's way better than 85+ degrees and 70+ humidity here in S. Florida) and got a taco bravo and potato oles.  Yum.  Then I walked back for another malt for the drive back.  That was a good day. :)   (well, there was a little indigestion later in the day.. the 2nd malt did me in)

• Thanks 1

about Mexican food..

Here in south Florida many Mexican restaurants have closed. Most also are influenced by the Caribbean diet, way too much black beans and stuffing rice into everything.

Little town of Atlantic, IA, where I went to high school, has a better Mexican restaurant than what I can find down here. On the drive down to S. Fl. I made a stop in Macon, Mo, and saw a Mexican restaurant across the street. So I went and that was good, too.  *sigh*  

I can't stand black beans.   Or mangos. *blech* 

An observation about Missouri: even the gas station mini-marts sell all sorts of booze.  But then, if one lives in Misery, one wants easy access to booze any time.  :D   

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, GamingGlen said:

about Mexican food..

Here in south Florida many Mexican restaurants have closed. Most also are influenced by the Caribbean diet, way too much black beans and stuffing rice into everything.

Little town of Atlantic, IA, where I went to high school, has a better Mexican restaurant than what I can find down here. On the drive down to S. Fl. I made a stop in Macon, Mo, and saw a Mexican restaurant across the street. So I went and that was good, too.  *sigh*  

I can't stand black beans.   Or mangos. *blech* 

An observation about Missouri: even the gas station mini-marts sell all sorts of booze.  But then, if one lives in Misery, one wants easy access to booze any time.  :D   

Was in SFL for a while also. Lived in the town right next to you.  Would agree, I couldn't find good Mexican.  A lot of good Cuban (Molina's in Hialeah comes to mind).  I did like Pollo Tropical, but again, not Mexican.