Tangent Thread - Pizza and Taco Edition

3 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

El Dorado- west side of 24th and Q

Their Lengua, Beria and Tripa Tacos are outstanding. So is their Cocktail Super ElDorado. Authentic, always well done. They have menudo on the weekends and outstanding mexican seafood selections. 

Yeah, I’ve heard they’re the spot for seafood in south O. I went there for lunch on a fish Friday and felt comatose after, it was good food, but ate too much!

3 hours ago, GamingGlen said:

about Mexican food..

Here in south Florida many Mexican restaurants have closed. Most also are influenced by the Caribbean diet, way too much black beans and stuffing rice into everything.

Little town of Atlantic, IA, where I went to high school, has a better Mexican restaurant than what I can find down here. On the drive down to S. Fl. I made a stop in Macon, Mo, and saw a Mexican restaurant across the street. So I went and that was good, too.  *sigh*  

I can't stand black beans.   Or mangos. *blech* 

An observation about Missouri: even the gas station mini-marts sell all sorts of booze.  But then, if one lives in Misery, one wants easy access to booze any time.  :D   

I loved John the Baker pizza and the garlic knots!

1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

Papa murphys cowboy pizza smoked on a pit boss

Agreed. Any Papa Murphy’s is excellent prepared on a pellet grill. Been thinking about getting a pizza oven insert for my Green Mountain Grill.  I can’t imagine it can be that much better but supposedly you can get much closer to wood fire oven temps.

8 hours ago, Bledred said:

Vals is a salt lick block with pizza flavoring.  Try to eat Vals without anything to drink....I dare you. 

I recall Vals being the s#!t back in the late 80's(granted I was 11ish)...moved from Nebraska in 1990...happened to drive through Nebraska on a road trip from NY to WA (driving my stepdaughter and granddaughter back home)...saw Valentinos in NP I think and stopped, told my daughter she would love (based on my 11 year old memory)....she flipped me off afterwards and I kicked my own a$$

Seems in vogue to bash Val's these days....  been awhile since I've had it, but the last time it was still as good as it ever was, in my mind. But I used to go to the one in Ogallala on the way back to Denver; maybe in Lincoln it is not the same anymore.  In Ogallala I'd get a freshly made one in a mostly empty store, so maybe they put more love into it.

• Oh Yeah! 1
8 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

Seems in vogue to bash Val's these days....  been awhile since I've had it, but the last time it was still as good as it ever was, in my mind. But I used to go to the one in Ogallala on the way back to Denver; maybe in Lincoln it is not the same anymore.  In Ogallala I'd get a freshly made one in a mostly empty store, so maybe they put more love into it.

Seems to be. I don't know about these days, back in the late 70s/early 80s it was good pizza, especially at the original store in Lincoln. I still preferred Godfather's. Sometime in the 90s I ate at the buffet at a Val's in southwest Omaha (Millard area?) and it wasn't as good as I remembered. I blamed both the different location and the buffet format for lack of quality.

Everyone's taste is different. I love Thai food, but Chinese food I could take or leave, yet they're pretty much nearly the same in terms of content. I presume the difference is the spices used. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:29 PM, JJ Husker said:

Agreed. Any Papa Murphy’s is excellent prepared on a pellet grill. Been thinking about getting a pizza oven insert for my Green Mountain Grill.  I can’t imagine it can be that much better but supposedly you can get much closer to wood fire oven temps.

Dude, the Papa Murp's 5 dollar pizza deal is a steal.

Even their regular price is great.  

I'm slight lean for Godfather's over Vals but man, Godfathers is just so darn expensive.  For essentially the same price of a large taco pizza I can get two pies from Brick Oven Pizza by NFM which is arguably the best pizza in Omaha.  I still break down at least once or twice a year and get the Taco mind you, just have to get all the ingredients on the side because there is no worse pizza than Taco pizza the next day if you forget to take the lettuce and tomatoes off.