Sellout Streak in 2021

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Rich boosters and banks and car dealerships buying up tickets when we suck and it's in jeopardy doesn't speak to the fanbase dedication.

I would be interested in knowing what percentage of the tickets are bought by these people.  I'm sure it varies by season. But, I also would bet that the vast majority are bought by individuals that are actual fans.  Now, that gets clouded by someone like I know that is a HUGE fan.  He has a big tailgate every game in the Champions Club.  He goes to every single game.  I bet he gets 10-20 tickets every year and his family, friends, customers, suppliers use them.  I don't consider someone like him to be a part of the "rich boosters" buying up the tickets.  There are lots of companies/fans like that throughout the state.

13 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

You're right in that that doesn't need explanation, and you don't need to explain to me what a sell out IS. I understand that just fine. I just said that it doesn't seem to be that valuable.

Does it, though? Maybe a little bit, but it's only a technicality.

Notre Dame's streak obviously didn't speak volumes to their fans dedication because us and Georgia and others have exposed that more than once. Rich boosters and banks and car dealerships buying up tickets when we suck and it's in jeopardy doesn't speak to the fanbase dedication.

I'll put it this way. I had no idea Notre Dame's sellout streak ended, and I don't think their fans got any less dedicated or passionate in between their last sellout and the next game that wasn't sold out.

Rich boosters are still fans.  Car dealership owners are still fans.  Support doesn't only have to come from the average joe living in small town Nebraska.  It doesn't matter who buys the tickets...  

• Plus1 5
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've been a fan as long as most anyone on this board, and I'm also of the opinion that if we get blown out by Oklahoma and lose to Illinois, Sparty or Northwestern, the stands are going to be pretty lean for the rest of the home schedule. 

I was at the Iowa game a few years ago where 1/4 to 1/3 of the stadium were Hawkeye fans. That could be up to half - looking a lot like Notre Dame's stadium when we invaded - if we have a losing record heading into that game.

And if that happens, I'd say the sellout streak is toast next year.  

I mean ... OK, sure, if the team ends up being late-Riley dumpster fire bad like what you're describing a few years ago then people might peace out when the weather gets cold. But I don't think that's the reasonable expectation right now and if the team is even average this year Husker fans are coming out in droves to watch the games in person. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, J-MAGIC said:

I mean ... OK, sure, if the team ends up being late-Riley dumpster fire bad like what you're describing a few years ago then people might peace out when the weather gets cold. But I don't think that's the reasonable expectation right now and if the team is even average this year Husker fans are coming out in droves to watch the games in person. 

I agree, and I think the first couple of games will be packed - presuming we aren't blown out by Illinois. Bielema has had our number, and Illinois has played better than us the last two years, so who knows. 

I think there are a lot of folks eager to get back to in-person games. But I think the leash this team is on is shorter than Frost's. People will check out early and more decisively if they don't look much improved in the first few games.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I agree, and I think the first couple of games will be packed - presuming we aren't blown out by Illinois. Bielema has had our number, and Illinois has played better than us the last two years, so who knows. 

I think there are a lot of folks eager to get back to in-person games. But I think the leash this team is on is shorter than Frost's. People will check out early and more decisively if they don't look much improved in the first few games.

Illinois just had 24 dudes transfer out, so hopefully that helps!

I totally agree that there could be some less than crowded games if things go south.

• Plus1 1

Bottom line, if we were still winning 8+ games a season and winning division titles I'm sure the salty "let it end" comments would all but disappear.

Just because you choose to cope with Nebraska’s woes your way doesn't make a record or tradition etc. any less meaningful.

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Fact of the matter is, it's do or die for the program right now. No other coach on earth could have this team weather the downward trajectory of the past 15 years and still have a sell out streak outside of Frost. Hell, I think the only reason I still follow like I do is because of Frost. So, I've said it 100 times. I HOPE LIKE HELL he is the answer because if not and if not soon.. Eternal toilet.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Fact of the matter is, it's do or die for the program right now. No other coach on earth could have this team weather the downward trajectory of the past 15 years and still have a sell out streak outside of Frost. Hell, I think the only reason I still follow like I do is because of Frost. So, I've said it 100 times. I HOPE LIKE HELL he is the answer because if not and if not soon.. Eternal toilet.

It would be really disappointing to the fan base if Frost ultimately fails.  However, a 100 million dollar a year business will find ways to bounce back and eventually find their savior.  The Eternal toilet talk is pretty ridiculous imo.  

I still believe the discussion is unnecessary though- Frost will start the long climb to the top this season.    

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

It would be really disappointing to the fan base if Frost ultimately fails.  However, a 100 million dollar a year business will find ways to bounce back and eventually find their savior.  The Eternal toilet talk is pretty ridiculous imo.  

I still believe the discussion is unnecessary though- Frost will start the long climb to the top this season.    

I get not wanting to be overly dramatic,  but what about the last 20 years make you believe the bolded? Take off your homer glasses and explain it to me. Plenty of ventures have had money poured into them and still fail, it is far from a sure thing. 

Who will coach here if Frost fails and goes?  Will people care in the same numbers? Some will sure but I don't truly believe the same numbers always will if things keep getting worse.

12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I get not wanting to be overly dramatic,  but what about the last 20 years make you believe the bolded? Take off your homer glasses and explain it to me. Plenty of ventures have had money poured into them and still fail, it is far from a sure thing. 

Who will coach here if Frost fails and goes?  Will people care in the same numbers? Some will sure but I don't truly believe the same numbers always will if things keep getting worse.

There are examples all over college football.  Teams go up and down in long stretches throughout history.

Take one very popular team right now.  From 1983 - 2006 their average record was 8-4 and they went through 6 coaches.  They kept trying until they found the right fit.  Guessing they will go through struggles again at some point in the future when Saban retires.  It happens everywhere.    

Nebraska will always be a top destination for coaches simply because we have the resources to pay a lot of money.  Does that mean we have the same draw as Alabama or Clemson?  No but we never did.  The number of people may drop off at some point but they will rebound once the team starts winning.  The Huskers are the only game in town so it's not like we will lose sports fans to any other teams.

31 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Take one very popular team right now.  From 1983 - 2006 their average record was 8-4 and they went through 6 coaches. 

But they also had 12 Top-15 Finishes (2 vacated), 3 Conference Championships and 1 National Championship over that 23 years.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Well I see the end is near crowd has resurfaced, again. But there is a new twist, a guy who doesn’t see any value in the sellout streak. I mean isn’t the value of that pretty obvious? Ignore the fan pride aspect and simply consider the $$’s coming into the program and the fact it is something we can sell recruits on our program. It’s nice to have a little something remaining from the glory days. But yeah, if it ends it ends. All but guaranteed to never be outdone.

• Plus1 4
29 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well I see the end is near crowd has resurfaced, again. But there is a new twist, a guy who doesn’t see any value in the sellout streak. I mean isn’t the value of that pretty obvious? Ignore the fan pride aspect and simply consider the $$’s coming into the program and the fact it is something we can sell recruits on our program. It’s nice to have a little something remaining from the glory days. But yeah, if it ends it ends. All but guaranteed to never be outdone.

With Notre Dame's ending in 2019 before they could crack 300 it has basically been cemented even if we failed to sell out the opener this year.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's also a valuable part of selling recruits.  I'm sure recruits don't come solely for the sellout streak. But, the fan base is and the sell out streak is evidence to them of our dedication.  I've heard lots of recruits and players talk about playing in front of 90,000 fans every Saturday in Lincoln.

Also, if it were to be broken, can you imagine the negative recruiting against that?

and it matters even more when kids know potentially, if they tweet on game day they could earn a lot money. It’s gross but it’s the new norm. The sellout streak (and fan base interest) might mean more now than ever 

edit

it might be a drought on conference/national champs…but the whole 21st century hasn’t sucked all the balls of the world.  We have won apprx 168 games this century. The last 5 seasons are absolute duds and crap, but it’s not like we been 4-8 or 7-5 for 20 whole yrs. There were some great teams, players, and games that have won here since 2000. 

it’s possible to win here, and Frost can do it. 

• Plus1 3