Sellout Streak in 2021

59 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

The big picture for me points out that our long stretch is somewhat unique compared to all other historically successful long stretches in that while the averages are similar, they still had pockets and flashes of occasionally reaching high. Texas has only been struggling for a decade and still has a top 10 finish and NY6 bowl win in there. USC was Pac-12 champs and top 10 four years ago, and #5 and Rose Bowl champs the year before that. Florida State won a national championship and got to the playoff in the last decade. Tennessee sucks with no signs of progress, which is sadly the same boat we're in :lol:

We have zero top ten finishes, zero conference championships, zero major bowl appearances let alone wins since 2002. 

1 second separated us and Texas the last time either was truly relevant.  Take a look at their stretch before Mac Brown.  They were down for a long time.  It happens because it's hard to be consistently good.  We have had a rough 6 years.  While it isn't anything we are used to as a fan base, it happens everywhere and it especially sucks to be a fan during it- however an end is in sight if you choose to see it.  

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

1 second separated us and Texas the last time either was truly relevant.  Take a look at their stretch before Mac Brown.  They were down for a long time.  It happens because it's hard to be consistently good.  We have had a rough 6 years.  While it isn't anything we are used to as a fan base, it happens everywhere and it especially sucks to be a fan during it- however an end is in sight if you choose to see it.  

We weren't relevant in 2009 outside of that one second and Suh. Texas was playing to go to the national championship, we were playing to be an underdog cinderella - don't equate those as the same.

2001 was the last time we were relevant. 20 years ago, here's what's happened since:

Since then, Texas has had seven top 10 finishes, two conference championships, five major bowl appearances/wins, and one national championship.

Nebraska has had zero, zero, zero, and zero.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
42 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What should we be talking about during the offseason?

Idk New AD candidates, Stadium expansion, weather is always a good conversation in Nebraska. It's just in my opinion ending the sellout streak willingly is conceding.  Say we end it on our terms and then the very next season Nebraska has the best year in 10 years. In my opinion there's just a really big opportunity to have egg on our face if we end it. Then you have the opportunity for the jagaloons at ESPN to run with a million different narratives and make Nebraska look bad because they never miss an opportunity to do that. 

28 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

It's just in my opinion ending the sellout streak willingly is conceding.

No one is advocating that. Some of us are discussing the natural antipathy fans have for a losing team, especially when that stretches over years. 

If/when the sellout streak actually ends, it'll be because people drift away singly. It won't be some kind of organized movement.

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No one is advocating that. Some of us are discussing the natural antipathy fans have for a losing team, especially when that stretches over years. 

If/when the sellout streak actually ends, it'll be because people drift away singly. It won't be some kind of organized movement.

I would imagine that for most of us, what we are seeing right now is the worst we have ever seen Husker football, in terms of wins/losses.

I wonder what it is like for students right now, are they buying student tickets?  Are they going into the stadium? 

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

We weren't relevant in 2009 outside of that one second and Suh. Texas was playing to go to the national championship, we were playing to be an underdog cinderella - don't equate those as the same.

2001 was the last time we were relevant. 20 years ago, here's what's happened since:

Since then, Texas has had seven top 10 finishes, two conference championships, five major bowl appearances/wins, and one national championship.

Nebraska has had zero, zero, zero, and zero.

There is a big difference between being relevant and being a title contender.  9 and 10 win teams are relevant.  Fans of 9 and 10 win teams have hope and excitement.  Next year could be the year mentality.  That is relevant.  

Take that 1 second away and we have the same number of conference championships.  Yes, Texas has a couple of things we don't over the last 23 years.  However, there are more similarities than discrepancies.  The point you seem to be looking past is that ALL major programs go through what we are going through right now.  Bad stretches where they are trying to figure out the right recipe to get back on top.    

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yeah I agree, Its not like it is getting any cheaper to go to games. I always thought that they should reward the fans for being so loyal and just for one year or every other year have the price of tickets for season ticket holders go down to what they was in 1962. and then for regular fans have the price for food and drinks go down to the price they was in 62 for the home games.  In my opinion that would reenergize the experience. I mean for me solo to go to a game it is 60-80 bucks. A family.... left or right one?

8 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I mean for me solo to go to a game it is 60-80 bucks. 

Please share your secret sauce for that. Face value of ticket, mandatory contribution, parking, something to eat/drink puts you at $100, at least a couple of beers before or after to relax with buddies etc. It's a lot more than that. 

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Please share your secret sauce for that. Face value of ticket, mandatory contribution, parking, something to eat/drink puts you at $100, at least a couple of beers before or after to relax with buddies etc. It's a lot more than that. 

Yeah I hear ya bud, I was only counting Ticket and Runza and a water or pop. I usually get a ride down and picked up that cost me 20, Dang! it is closer to 100 bones..... 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I would imagine that for most of us, what we are seeing right now is the worst we have ever seen Husker football, in terms of wins/losses.

I wonder what it is like for students right now, are they buying student tickets?  Are they going into the stadium? 

Yeah, the last 20 years (and I do mean 20 years and not just the last 6 or so) is definitely the worst I've seen of this program. My first 30ish years (1970+/- to November 2001) were exceedingly much better imo :lol:

I can't speak for all students but my daughter had student tickets for 2019 & 2020. I'm sure she would've also got them this year but gosh darnit she graduated in 2.5 years and is no longer eligible.  Without her parent's constant brainwashing through her youth I doubt her 2 years in the student section would've cemented her Husker fan status. And that is what will contribute to the sellout streak ending when it does end. Pretty hard to keep up something like that with excessively long periods of mediocre teams I would think.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

The point you seem to be looking past is that ALL major programs go through what we are going through right now.  Bad stretches where they are trying to figure out the right recipe to get back on top.    

I haven't seen a major program go through a 19 year stretch with zero top ten finishes, zero conference championships, and zero major bowl appearances. Who/when are you referring to?

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I haven't seen a major program go through a 19 year stretch with zero top ten finishes, zero conference championships, and zero major bowl appearances.

Tennessee meets those criteria, none since 2001, same as us. There's also schools like Minnesota and Pitt that were major programs, but went through such stretches, and kept on going...