Sellout Streak in 2021

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What change would that be and when in the last 10-15 years have we not made a change because the "powers-that-be" think it doesn't need to be made because people are still buying all the tickets?

But the people haven't bought all the tickets in quite some time, that's pretty well known.  The streak lives only due to boosters buying large chunks of remaining tickets.

• Oh Yeah! 1

7 hours ago, runningblind said:

But the people haven't bought all the tickets in quite some time, that's pretty well known.  The streak lives only due to boosters buying large chunks of remaining tickets.

People buy the tickets. I might not be individual fans. But, it’s still people. 

and, that didn’t answer my questions. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, internetman said:

It seems like such a weird thing to hang your hat on. 

if you’ve been to a game in the last 5 years…. You know it wasn’t a “sell out”

Yep, it's weird to me as well.  You see this sort of thing in a ponzi scheme before it crumbles or a Televangelist right before he is found out to be a fraud.  Sadly, most of those things lead to more breaking of the law and bigger and deeper sanctions for violaters.  I'm not saying or stating that that is happening ... but why perpetuate a sellout streak which isn't based on merit?  For me, it's like an addict who can't find sobriety because he won't acknowledge a "rock bottom" and the need for a Greater Power than himself.  In the end, it is that "pride" that prevents real life and freedom to germinate.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, internetman said:

Not necessarily true at all.. Yes, there have been games with poor attendance for sure but up until this year the U only sold entire season or bust.. I've had tickets to a few games that I haven't made it to here and there, so while our seats will show up as empty for that game, those tickets were in fact sold and legitimately count into that total.  Now, you bet if I could buy only the games I wanted I would do so in a heartbeat, but the same is true at every venue in America for NCAA sports.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Not necessarily true at all.. Yes, there have been games with poor attendance for sure but up until this year the U only sold entire season or bust.. I've had tickets to a few games that I haven't made it to here and there, so while our seats will show up as empty for that game, those tickets were in fact sold and legitimately count into that total.  Now, you bet if I could buy only the games I wanted I would do so in a heartbeat, but the same is true at every venue in America for NCAA sports.

i understand what it means. but at what point are we just peeing in the wind and telling ourselves its raining. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
25 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Yep, it's weird to me as well.  You see this sort of thing in a ponzi scheme before it crumbles or a Televangelist right before he is found out to be a fraud.  Sadly, most of those things lead to more breaking of the law and bigger and deeper sanctions for violaters.  I'm not saying or stating that that is happening ... but why perpetuate a sellout streak which isn't based on merit?  For me, it's like an addict who can't find sobriety because he won't acknowledge a "rock bottom" and the need for a Greater Power than himself.  In the end, it is that "pride" that prevents real life and freedom to germinate.

Geez, this is a dark way to look at it.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, internetman said:

i understand what it means. but at what point are we just peeing in the wind and telling ourselves its raining. 

Again, I am not sure. I am just saying that you can't look at some empty seats and say that is indicative that it is propped up. The vast majority of the tickets are still being purchased by mom and pop fans. The attendance numbers in the stadium are a still north of 80K even at Fordham games. No, the program is not at the shining star standing-room-only level it was in 1997, but, the people of this state are legitimately still paying to support it with their hard earned Nebraska dollars, and I guess I don't see the point in trying to nitpick that.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Geez, this is a dark way to look at it.

What is the "truth"?  We all have a perception and a view of what is being propagated.  We all have our own baseline and our view of reality.  

Perhaps my view is dark from your eye.  I just want a sellout streak if people or businesses are buying to go and support the team.  If it's being propped up ... I want it to fall.  That isn't "dark" to me.  That's honesty ... which is more of the traditional character qualities associated with :bigredn: [as I see it].

Let me relate it to a Teacher.  You've taught a kid [your own] from 1st through high school.  They are an A student and earn valedictorian at Millard North..  They go to UNL and as it works out, you get an opportunity to become a Professor. While there, you manipulate grades to keep your kid the "pride and joy" of looking smart.  

Is your kid smart?  

All I'm saying is the sellout streak needs to be legit.  Who wouldn't want that?  If not, what are the consequences to those we are saying we are trying to educate and have character?

1 hour ago, internetman said:

Does the kid with the lemonade stand care if the rich neighbor buys everything at once or if 50 cars stop to buy one glass at a time... nope.  The kid sold out either way.  If the tickets are all sold, it's a sell out.  Trying to put some kind of weird * based on who buys the tickets is stupid.  The only games that don't have great attendance are ones with bad weather.  Against any opponent on a reasonable weather day, the stadium is packed.  It's almost like it bothers you that fans are still supporting the program even though they haven't been winning.  That's weird.  

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, runningblind said:

That doesnt matter. At the end of the day all of the SEASON TICKETS that they allot are sold. 

The only tickets they ever have an issue selling are the ones returned by the other team, which we are required to allot to them. Those returned tickets come available on what Tuesday or Wednesday. So we have 1500 Purdue or Bethune Cookman tickets to sell in a couple of days. Who cares if some business steps in and gets them for their employees and friends. 

The net is the stadium has been full or very close to it, in good times and bad, good weather and bad, good opponents and bad. Seems like the only people who whine about it never go to the games anyways. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, internetman said:

It seems like such a weird thing to hang your hat on. 

How does ending the sellout streak cause the powers to be to make changes? What are those and what changes weren’t made in the last 10-15 years because we still had the sell out streak?

• Plus1 2
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

How does ending the sellout streak cause the powers to be to make changes? What are those and what changes weren’t made in the last 10-15 years because we still had the sell out streak?

I have no idea. if someone like me had the answers.. it would have already been done. 

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Does the kid with the lemonade stand care if the rich neighbor buys everything at once or if 50 cars stop to buy one glass at a time... nope.  The kid sold out either way.  If the tickets are all sold, it's a sell out.  Trying to put some kind of weird * based on who buys the tickets is stupid.  The only games that don't have great attendance are ones with bad weather.  Against any opponent on a reasonable weather day, the stadium is packed.  It's almost like it bothers you that fans are still supporting the program even though they haven't been winning.  That's weird.  

ok but then the kid's parents must get on social media and announce ANOTHER LEMONADE SELLOUT.

in reality it doesn't matter but its July and we are tired of talking about conference realignment