Sellout Streak in 2021

9 minutes ago, admo said:

Michigan currently has 294 straight games with over 100k, but a sellout is 109k.  If any stadium is filled with 90%, capacity, that's great support imo. 

I get that other venues are struggling as well this year.  But 6K to 10K short of a sellout is ticky-tacky.  Especially for the large stadiums. It is still a good turn out and nothing to be ashamed of. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the donors only had to buy a few thousand tickets last weekend at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the donors only had to buy a few thousand tickets last weekend at Nebraska. 

Yeah it wasn't much.  I think we are ok for now, and a few good wins this year and we will remain selling out.  I think you mentioned that and I agree with it. 

On 9/8/2021 at 10:30 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Why end something just because of a few whiney people?

There’s some higher ups that I’ve heard who wouldn’t be upset if the sellout streak ended. It would give us a great excuse to work on some restorations. Dropping capacity to 78k or so as long as a majority of the stadium seating was upgraded. I think this is inevitable with or without losing the sellout streak. I’m not pining for it to end. The streak should continue but eventually you gotta upgrade the old stadium.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, FTW said:

There’s some higher ups that I’ve heard who wouldn’t be upset if the sellout streak ended. It would give us a great excuse to work on some restorations. Dropping capacity to 78k or so as long as a majority of the stadium seating was upgraded. I think this is inevitable with or without losing the sellout streak. I’m not pining for it to end. The streak should continue but eventually you gotta upgrade the old stadium.

Pretty sure those things are not mutually exclusive.  The dropped the capacity by some a few years ago.  I'm kind of surprised they haven't kept whittling away at it.  Or maybe they have and just haven't announced it.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure those things are not mutually exclusive.  The dropped the capacity by some a few years ago.  I'm kind of surprised they haven't kept whittling away at it.  Or maybe they have and just haven't announced it.

Agree.  There's no reason why it needs to end so they can drop the capacity.  On Big Red Wrap Up, they said capacity is down to around 86,000 from a high of 92,000 around when Miami was in town.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agree.  There's no reason why it needs to end so they can drop the capacity.  On Big Red Wrap Up, they said capacity is down to around 86,000 from a high of 92,000 around when Miami was in town.

Interesting.  I didn't realize it was down that far.  

But they did make kind of a deal of announcing the widening of seats - and thus the reducing of capacity - in the end zones a few years ago.  Perhaps they've kept doing a little bit each year but just haven't said anything.

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

We aren't the only program struggling to sell the last batch of tickets and, it's not just because we suck.

The age of 90,000+ seat CFB stadiums should be over. I think 60,000 - 80,000 is the sweet spot for large colleges. When every game is on TV, and, everyone has 65" 4K TVs - colleges need to prioritize fan experience at the stadiums. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Not 100% apples-to-apples, but here's a quote from the president of the 49ers on what demand is like right now: “We have seen demand off the charts. From back to 2019 numbers, we've never seen ticket sales at this pace, at this pricing … I think it's not necessarily true that people like sitting at home on their couch. Yeah, certain people do but what we're finding now is in the youth demographic they really like the social experiment. They really like being back at a sports game, they can't replicate that on their couch.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/49-ers-president-nfl-fans-pandemic-202059066.html

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Not 100% apples-to-apples, but here's a quote from the president of the 49ers on what demand is like right now: “We have seen demand off the charts. From back to 2019 numbers, we've never seen ticket sales at this pace, at this pricing … I think it's not necessarily true that people like sitting at home on their couch. Yeah, certain people do but what we're finding now is in the youth demographic they really like the social experiment. They really like being back at a sports game, they can't replicate that on their couch.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/49-ers-president-nfl-fans-pandemic-202059066.html

NFL stadiums do a much better job of making a better fan experience than college though. Premium seating, craft beer, decent food, easy access to restrooms. If I could get a fairy nectar draft and a seat back chair at memorial - I'd probably going to a hell of a lot more games. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

NFL stadiums do a much better job of making a better fan experience than college though. Premium seating, craft beer, decent food, easy access to restrooms. If I could get a fairy nectar draft and a seat back chair at memorial - I'd probably going to a hell of a lot more games. 

Exactly.  I love the pageantry and atmosphere of college football but the stadium sucks for seating, restrooms and food.  Get rid of the stupid bleachers and get some 21st century amenities, you will keep the attendance high.

• Thanks 1

FWIW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Stadium_(Lincoln)#Seating_capacity

Seating capacity[edit]

Aerial view of Stadium Memorial, Lincoln.jpg

• 1923: 31,080. Original stadium, with stands on both sides
  • 1964: 48,000. South end zone bleachers erected, making stadium a horseshoe
  • 1965: 52,455. Center section of north end zone bleachers erected[18]
  • 1966: 62,644. Rest on north stadium bleachers finished
  • 1967: 64,170. New press box
  • 1972: 73,650. South end zone bleachers extended
  • 1994: 72,700. Reduced capacity for handicapped seating; HuskerVision video screens installed
  • 1999: 74,056. New press box that included new skyboxes and club seating
  • 2000: 73,918. Reduced capacity for more club seating
  • 2006: 81,067. North stadium bleachers extended again, new skyboxes, new video boards, Tom and Nancy Osborne Training Facility, ADA-compliant seating, and additional coaching offices for football and athletic department administration[9]
  • 2013: 87,147[19] East stadium expansion, new skyboxes, new covered/heated club seating, new general admission seating[20][21][22]
  • 2015: 86,047. Top sections of north end zone seats widened, several seats in southwest corner removed for addition of an aisle resulted in roughly 1,000 to 1,100 seats being removed[17][21][23]
  • 2017: 85,458. North stadium, row 80 and above, had seats widened from 18 inches to 22-24 inches, resulting in seats being removed. South Stadium Section 14, rows 16–98, had seat widths increase from 18 to 20-22 inches[16][24]
  •  
  • Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

It’s a great stadium don’t get me wrong the environment pays for itself but compared to other venues, we could use an overhaul in seating. We are way past time to reward all the blue collared hard working Nebraskan’s that comes and pay good money to come to these games every year, ya know? And it’s not just people from Omaha/Lincoln.

As for the field and uniforms, most people treat it sacred but we’re ok with forgetting 100+ year old rivalries leaving the Big 12. With NIL, we definitely need to compete with the bigger schools. I wouldn’t mind a revamped Huskers font and N logo along with a full uniform redesign. Perhaps the color black could be incorporated into an official home/away uniform?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...