Sellout Streak in 2021

16 minutes ago, Redux said:

Sell out is a sell out :B)

So if a sell out is a sell out, but a sell out can still count if you have a third empty stadium, or your stadium gets taken over by 50%+ of the other team's fans...

doesn't seem like a sell out is worth very much.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

So if a sell out is a sell out, but a sell out can still count if you have a third empty stadium, or your stadium gets taken over by 50%+ of the other team's fans...

The only time our stadium is 1/3 empty is when the weather stinks.  We have never had anywhere close to 50% of our seats filled by the other teams fans.  At Nebraska, a sellout still means something imo.    

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

It's only ever been advertised to be what it is - every ticket sold for the game.  

• Plus1 2

31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's only ever been advertised to be what it is - every ticket sold for the game.  

I know what it is, technically speaking, I'm just wondering about how valuable such a thing is. It's a neat thing to tell a friend who knows nothing about our program and history, kind of a shortcut to comprehension of our fans, but outside of that it doesn't seem to be worth much.

37 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

real sell outs and full stadiums are in jeopardy this season.

too many losses will send fans packing, other things to do on Saturday afternoons, golf, kids soccer, etc.

this is Frost's make it or break it season, fans are getting anxious, as we know.

No, they're not. Our fanbase, which wanted to see football games so badly last year during a pandemic it tried to blow up our conference, hasn't seen a game in person in 18 months. Memorial is going to be packed to the gills this year. 

LMAO who are these dudes. Do you guys even like Nebraska? Or do you just like getting performatively mad about Nebraska?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 4
23 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

A) Who buys the tickets is completely irrelevant, but I figured that didn't need explanation.

B) Whether or not the seat is empty for the entire game, half of it or less doesn't negate a ticket being sold.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I know what it is, technically speaking, I'm just wondering about how valuable such a thing is. It's a neat thing to tell a friend who knows nothing about our program and history, kind of a shortcut to comprehension of our fans, but outside of that it doesn't seem to be worth much.

It's as valuable as any college football tradition. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

It speaks volumes to a fanbases dedication considering the performance of the team in question for over 2 decades.  It's for the fans BY the fans.

Which makes it even more perplexing when the fans try to s#!t on it.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Redux said:

It speaks volumes to a fanbases dedication considering the performance of the team in question for over 2 decades.  It's for the fans BY the fans.

Pretty loose use of the word fans.  Half the time I feel like we are being trolled by Iowa fans.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

No, they're not. Our fanbase, which wanted to see football games so badly last year during a pandemic it tried to blow up our conference, hasn't seen a game in person in 18 months. Memorial is going to be packed to the gills this year. 

LMAO who are these clowns. Do you guys even like Nebraska? Or do you just like getting performatively mad about Nebraska?

I've been a fan as long as most anyone on this board, and I'm also of the opinion that if we get blown out by Oklahoma and lose to Illinois, Sparty or Northwestern, the stands are going to be pretty lean for the rest of the home schedule. 

I was at the Iowa game a few years ago where 1/4 to 1/3 of the stadium were Hawkeye fans. That could be up to half - looking a lot like Notre Dame's stadium when we invaded - if we have a losing record heading into that game.

And if that happens, I'd say the sellout streak is toast next year.  

• Plus1 2

It's also a valuable part of selling recruits.  I'm sure recruits don't come solely for the sellout streak. But, the fan base is and the sell out streak is evidence to them of our dedication.  I've heard lots of recruits and players talk about playing in front of 90,000 fans every Saturday in Lincoln.

Also, if it were to be broken, can you imagine the negative recruiting against that?

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, Redux said:

A) Who buys the tickets is completely irrelevant, but I figured that didn't need explanation.

B) Whehter or not the seat is empty for the entire game, half of it or less doesn't negate a ticket being sold.

You're right in that that doesn't need explanation, and you don't need to explain to me what a sell out IS. I understand that just fine. I just said that it doesn't seem to be that valuable.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Does it, though? Maybe a little bit, but it's only a technicality.

Notre Dame's streak obviously didn't speak volumes to their fans dedication because us and Georgia and others have exposed that more than once. Rich boosters and banks and car dealerships buying up tickets when we suck and it's in jeopardy doesn't speak to the fanbase dedication.

I'll put it this way. I had no idea Notre Dame's sellout streak ended, and I don't think their fans got any less dedicated or passionate in between their last sellout and the next game that wasn't sold out.