Nebraska Fans

So I just went over to Husker online to see if their message board is any different then this board. What I mean by that is all the negativity for the up coming season . I know last 4 years has been tough don’t get me wrong but almost every post on here certain guys get on here just to bash the program or the players. If your a fan get behind the team for the season after the season if it doesn’t improve then speak but all the negativity before season isn’t good . The players and recruits read this stuff and it does bother them. I personally like what I’m seeing for next year I think the talent depth now is better then it was 3 years ago. The trenches have more size and depth and the skill positions are more talented but young and need the chance to show it. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

If the players read message board fans' opinions on the dour expectations after 4, 5, and 3 win seasons (with losses to Troy, Colorado x2, Wisconsin x3, Iowa x3, Minnesota x2, getting blown out by Illinois, etc.) and that bothers them, then, well, good. It's their responsibility to be able to handle the criticism and/or use the criticism as fuel to get better. 

I don't have any personal relationship with these players and while it's mostly inappropriate to attack them as human beings, conversation assessing their performance is completely fair game, especially when the trade-off is being a celebrity in a state full of die hards. It comes with the territory.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2

Yes they signed up to play in state where their celebrity. It’s ok to criticize after game being frustrated but there’s people that all they do is complain and criticize players and programs all year long but say their great fans. I guess some people just want to complain and be negative instead of supporting the kids and team. 

As a daily reader of the board, my perceptions are the opposite of yours.  I'm amazed how mild mannered folks are.   I'm a 5-7 record kind of belief person.  That's the most "negative" view on here.  The 9-3 kind of folks have stopped bloviating and realize and are stating that we need to make a bowl and win 7 games ... and will.  In prior years there was so much red kool-aid being drunk.

I think its fair game if the staff or player bloviates about how improved or better they are ... or they had another great practice, that it's fair to critique it.  The doubt in the fans mind is warranted.

It's similar to an Amazon review that is rated 4.5 stars with 85% 5 star reviews.  If you buy that product with 2000 reviews, you are expecting a good to great product.  This season we are seeing some 3* and 4* reviews and the approval rating is in the high 60's and folks are stating the product isn't a 4.5.

Forums are forums, yes, I know folks chuckle at my view.  I chuckle at their's.  But we all want  5.0 product, especially those that were born before 1964.  In the end, this board is still far and above above others ... and it's free.

Go Big Red.  We are supporting you.  We do our part.  Now, go and be who you are and give it all on the field.  We support 100% effort ... always.  Solid play, disciplined and smart football are the bedrock to us supporting you with minimal criticism.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I don't post here very often, but when I do $$$. I'm all in for the Huskers.

I haven't been to a game in many years.

I now live in South west Fl.

I pay extra every year to get BTN.

I spend my whole Saturdays watching College football.

I have been depressed with the Huskers outcome for a few years now, BUT

I've seen improvement every year.

I will never bash The Huskers.

Lastly, I grew up in Nebr. Have always been a Husker fan, and will always fly my Husker Flag in Fl. until I DIE!!!

GBR!!!!!

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

There was a caller to Severe and Benning about a week or so ago, and in his call he referred to the Nebraska fan base as "Delusional" "Neurotic" and "Out of touch." I initially thought to myself "Wow, what a horrible thing to say." Then I saw the 8 page conniption fit of a thread about the Sell Out Streak. 

• Plus1 4

For the most part Husker fans are fine. Look at the prediction thread- 29 of 32 respondents think the Huskers go 6-6 or better. Most are reasonable and quite frankly a little more optimistic than the data from the last 3 years would suggest.   The issue for many is we hear about how much better NU will be, how well they are practicing, how well the team has recruited etc- then see the team do what bad teams often times do- beat themselves. Many including me get frustrated with the same sloppy play and coaching mistakes. 

Like most, Im very supportive and somewhat hopeful, but not very confident-.I kept my 4 season tickets for season 41, but I leave early now if we are playing poorly. I really enjoy college football, so I get something cold to drink and put on Bama, Iowa State or ND State type teams and enjoy.  I voted 6-6 and I would be pretty happy if we hit 7-5 and made good progress on cleaning up a lot of the sloppy play.  Remember- some of the debbie downers are Jackwagon Iowa fans whose lives are so pitiful they spend their time trolling Nebraska boards. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

No population base is the same from one person to another, from one neighborhood to another.  Heck there are a LOT of people in Nebraska who honestly feel that real Husker football has not been played since Dr. Tom left.

I'm amongst those who pretty much agree with that.. so, yep I'm delusional after about 20 years of (censored) play led by (censored) coaches.

Go Big Red!!

• Plus1 1

Someone posted on this board a few months back that they'd rather be optimistic and excited about Husker football for the 9 months of off-season and only be potentially disappointed/frustrated for 3 months than also being negative during the off-season too. I've adopted that philosophy and the off-season has been very enjoyable as I'm just looking forward to the season and hopefully of all the good things to come. Thanks to whoever that was! (I can't remember)

I think we'll be better in a lot of areas and I'm especially excited to see what AM can do his senior season.

• Plus1 4

I've said it before, you don't always need to best group of guys to make a turnaround you need to right group of guys.  The reason I am optimistic this year is because of the super seniors.  I don't think that them coming back makes us tons better athletically but for the few that could have left says a lot about what THEY think about this team coming back and where it is headed.  Deep down if they thought they were going to come back and win only 4 games why not go try to make it on an NFL roster?  Maybe just wishful thinking that a handful of guys who want Nebraska to succeed will carry over to the rest of the team and produce a bunch of wins.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Someone posted on this board a few months back that they'd rather be optimistic and excited about Husker football for the 9 months of off-season and only be potentially disappointed/frustrated for 3 months than also being negative during the off-season too. I've adopted that philosophy and the off-season has been very enjoyable as I'm just looking forward to the season and hopefully of all the good things to come. Thanks to whoever that was! (I can't remember)

I think we'll be better in a lot of areas and I'm especially excited to see what AM can do his senior season.

oddly enough I think that was me :lol:

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

* his second junior season. :)