2021 Fan Day

• 3 weeks later...

Grown men getting autographs? I'm a fan, but dont understand guys expressing their jock sniffing fandom in these ways. Little kids with dreams of playing at NU or getting an autograph of their favorite player seems pretty right. 

But seriously- grown men will wait and stand in long lines in 110 heat index heat to get the autograph of an 18-22 year old college kid? I went with my son to a Suhs signing and felt like a complete jacka$$ standing in line- never again. 

A good friend of mine was a pretty good FCS player. We were in a college souvenir shop and he saw some guy trying on a players jersey. He said "why in the world would I ever want to wear someone elses jersey?" Seems kinda creepy. Made sense to me- Ive never bought a players jersey for me or my kids. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Grown men getting autographs? I'm a fan, but dont understand guys expressing their jock sniffing fandom in these ways. Little kids with dreams of playing at NU or getting an autograph of their favorite player seems pretty right. 

But seriously- grown men will wait and stand in long lines in 110 heat index heat to get the autograph of an 18-22 year old college kid? I went with my son to a Suhs signing and felt like a complete jacka$$ standing in line- never again. 

A good friend of mine was a pretty good FCS player. We were in a college souvenir shop and he saw some guy trying on a players jersey. He said "why in the world would I ever want to wear someone elses jersey?" Seems kinda creepy. Made sense to me- Ive never bought a players jersey for me or my kids. 

I don't get the vast majority of wanting someone's autograph.  Stand in line, get his/her signature and you have no meaningful experience with them.  I do have two autographs that I think are interesting. 

a). Went to the Brickyard 400 (not a NASCAR fan) and ended up sitting by Darryl Waltrip for most of the race.  Had a great conversation with him and ended up having him autograph my program.  It was a really cool experience that I want to remember.

b). Had a Cubs destination weekend in Chicago.  Was able to have lunch in a small group with Kyle Hendricks just after he joined the team and before he helped them win the WS.  I got an autographed baseball.  Again, cool experience I want to remember.

Those mean something because I had the experience with them.

But.....just to stand in line to say hi for 30 seconds....no friggen way.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
49 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

But seriously- grown men will wait and stand in long lines in 110 heat index heat to get the autograph of an 18-22 year old college kid?

My uncle is big into sports memorabilia.  He always got me to do his dirty work when I was younger and get people's autographs.  I hated it.  I once waited in line for Kareem Abdul Jabar.  He was at a sports store in the mall signing autographs.  I didn't know he was there and didn't have anything for him to sign so I just shook his hand and left.  also I'm on board with your buddy.  only place a football jersey belongs is on shoulder pads of who is supposed to be wearing.  Hate jerseys.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

My uncle is big into sports memorabilia.  He always got me to do his dirty work when I was younger and get people's autographs.  I hated it.  I once waited in line for Kareem Abdul Jabar.  He was at a sports store in the mall signing autographs.  I didn't know he was there and didn't have anything for him to sign so I just shook his hand and left.  also I'm on board with your buddy.  only place a football jersey belongs is on shoulder pads of who is supposed to be wearing.  Hate jerseys.

Was speaking at a national coaching clinic and came on right after a very prominent coach. Acquaintance of mine was doing some cancer benefit things for people and asked me to get several footballs signed by the same guy in the speakers room for the silent auctions. I REALLY didn't want to- but I did. Felt like the biggest a$$h@!e- will never do that again ever. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Was speaking at a national coaching clinic and came on right after a very prominent coach. Acquaintance of mine was doing some cancer benefit things for people and asked me to get several footballs signed by the same guy in the speakers room for the silent auctions. I REALLY didn't want to- but I did. Felt like the biggest a$$h@!e- will never do that again ever. 

I think people tend to forget that they are also just people.  I've hung out with and met a few famous athletes and celebrities and I never once thought about asking for an autograph (worked at a place in Chicago that they would frequent).  I would much rather have the experience of saying "yeah I'm not a tool and didn't ask for an autograph so we actually had a conversation and hung out and had a beer".  Way better than saying I waited 2hrs in line to get this overpriced jersey signed. 

• Plus1 1