If basketball and baseball can do it, why can't football?

Over the past few months I've seen numerous top prospects commit to the basketball and baseball programs, yet every time football lands a recruit it seems to be a 3-star or a walk-on. So many fans are quick to blame the weather or that there's not a lot of homegrown talent... but if that's the case, why are the other programs able to do it?

• Plus1 1

The football team did earlier in Frost's tenure. Basketball and baseball are earlier in those coaches tenures, and baseball has already experienced on field success.  Football is struggling due to not winning. Can't sell a vision anymore at 12-20. Win 8 games this year and the ship is righted, plain and simple.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, runningblind said:

The football team did earlier in Frost's tenure. Basketball and baseball are earlier in those coaches tenures, and baseball has already experienced on field success.  Football is struggling due to not winning. Can't sell a vision anymore at 12-20. Win 8 games this year and the ship is righted, plain and simple.

This is the biggest reason we didn't land any of the Omaha kids this year. 

• Plus1 2

basketball only really need 4 great players and 2 -3 good guys. 

i know you guys think baseball is sweet but its really not a thing. its dominated by the SEC. little to no northern teams actually matter. the tv ratings get beat by the softball world series. 

football is very hard. in a spot like UNL you have to have the right guy.... its like matt campbell with iowa state. lightning has to strike. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Basketball signed it's one good recruit because his brother was already on the team. I have no idea why people use that as some sort of significant indicator of anything. It's cool it happened but it's probably not anything more than a fluke! 

The excitement around the BB program isn't just because of one recruit.

• Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Basketball signed it's one good recruit because his brother was already on the team. I have no idea why people use that as some sort of significant indicator of anything. It's cool it happened but it's probably not anything more than a fluke! 

Signed one REALLY good recruit.  Let's not act like a bunch of the other guys Hoiberg has signed are going to be a bunch of scrubs.  He's put together a hell of a class.

• Plus1 5
5 hours ago, internetman said:

i know you guys think baseball is sweet but its really not a thing. its dominated by the SEC. little to no northern teams actually matter. the tv ratings get beat by the softball world series. 

football is very hard. in a spot like UNL you have to have the right guy.... its like matt campbell with iowa state. lightning has to strike. 

I know Oregon State had a nice run not too long ago

• Plus1 1

On 7/14/2021 at 7:50 AM, internetman said:

You don't know how close baseball is to being a fixture at the super regional level, do you?

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

You don't know how close baseball is to being a fixture at the super regional level, do you?

I mean that would be awesome but from what i'm seeing its been almost 20 years since they have been? (2005)

You can't claim they are about to be a fixture if its been this long. 

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, internetman said:

I mean that would be awesome but from what i'm seeing its been almost 20 years since they have been? (2005)

You can't claim they are about to be a fixture if its been this long. 

Except Nebraska was one or two pieces from beating Arkansas and playing in a super this year, or if the Big 10 had allowed non-con, Nebraska may have hosted their own regional instead. Erstad had made regionals 3 out of his last 4 years (going 1-6 in those games, 2-8 in regional play for his 7 years as head coach), but Bolt is an objectively better coach, especially at player development and is recruiting better, while the transfer market allegedly has dudes begging for a chance to play here after the no-fear-of-#1 display on ESPN in June. Adding Rob Childress to an admin role, even if it is only for a year (might be longer, don't know) was also a power move. The fact it's been 20 years is meaningless given Bolt is basically in year 2 and already shown he can have his team ready to compete with the big, bad SEC in the tournament.

• Fire 1