Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Yup. And while I was using eSports as a punching bag to lampoon Trev's impending hire (and past actions) with, it *IS* a large growing sport on college campuses. 

Wouldn't be shocked if we stood up our own program here soon, TBH. If we haven't already. 

Yup yup, wasn’t intending to call you out, just how it could be a lucrative opportunity, I hope they do start one up or expand. There a number of cash prize tournaments that go toward scholarships for the students. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

I'll take a guy like Trev who knows Nebraska than some random outside hire that knows s#!t about UNL and tries 'their way' of things. He did well at UNO and understands the unique job in Lincoln. I don't care that he was a great football player here like Frost, but I also realize we aren't USC, Florida, or Texas. Nebraska knows Nebraska. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

So much for that "National search".  Didn't exactly expect a big name hire or anything but this is pretty underwhelming, IMO.  Not sure never having been an AD of a football program and navigating through the Summit league makes him a qualified candidate for a major P5 AD job.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

Mixed feelings on this one.  I've been vocal of my dislike for Alberts in the past and a part of me is never going to forgive him for how things went down with UNO Wrestling (my family had lots of ties with the program).  I can also recognize he did a pretty bang up job of cleaning up a big mess when the former AD left.  I'm hopeful he can do well at UNL.  I'm sure Mark Manning is not exactly thrilled today though.

• Fire 2
1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

Yup yup, wasn’t intending to call you out, just how it could be a lucrative opportunity, I hope they do start one up or expand. There a number of cash prize tournaments that go toward scholarships for the students. 

Nope, didn't read it as such, but thought someone else may--hence the clarification. 

And yeah, it would be good to see them start one up. I think there's three or four B1G programs (tOSU, Michigan, and Minnesota? Wisconsin?), so we could even get some conference alignment and a 'season' stood up. 

15 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Mixed feelings on this one.  I've been vocal of my dislike for Alberts in the past and a part of me is never going to forgive him for how things went down with UNO Wrestling (my family had lots of ties with the program).  I can also recognize he did a pretty bang up job of cleaning up a big mess when the former AD left.  I'm hopeful he can do well at UNL.  I'm sure Mark Manning is not exactly thrilled today though.

Tough decision that was probably the right decision, but handled wrong.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I will give props to @teachercd on this point, but Trev will have the backing of the former players in the 80's and 90's, which should help bring in more donations...

Donations will fix the football program?  Hello.

But I do believe Mr. Alberts can help with communication.. plus Mark May will have a ball with this.  ;)