Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

Just now, Undone said:

Inevitable?

I'd at least play this upcoming season before I'd come anywhere close to saying it's "inevitable."

I feel like it's pretty obvious at this point. 

This is certainly only my opinion, and I'm in the minority on this. But it's clear at this point that player development is not where it needs to be nor is recruiting.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I'll take a guy like Trev who knows Nebraska than some random outside hire that knows s#!t about UNL and tries 'their way' of things. He did well at UNO and understands the unique job in Lincoln. I don't care that he was a great football player here like Frost, but I also realize we aren't USC, Florida, or Texas. Nebraska knows Nebraska. 

You bet. We need a former player, an experienced AD. Someone who knows Nebraska and its passion for football. Someone like Steve Pedersen, I mean Trev Alberts will get the job done right! 

• Fire 1

Just now, hunter49 said:

so you think Trev was the guy they wanted from the start?

I think they were open to going to open it up to different candidates, but when the University leaders spoke to the committee (made of current/former athletes, current coaches, and NU regents) on what type of candidate they would prefer the first choice became Trev.  Then Green and Bounds met with Alberts, were happy with the interview, and offered him the job.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

I have no problem with Trev.  I didn't like the decisions he made at UNO, but  I understand them.

I just remember hearing something about wanting diversity in their hire?  I guess all those doors closed quickly.

It’s diverse. Frost was an offensive player and Trev was defense. Don’t tell me you wanted a dedicated special teamer.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

You bet. We need a former player, an experienced AD. Someone who knows Nebraska and its passion for football. Someone like Steve Pedersen, I mean Trev Alberts will get the job done right! 

I've always thought that NU is such a unique situation, that someone who is familiar with that situation would make him/her a better leader for the Athletic Department.  Does that always work?  It's not 100% (see Steve Pedersen).  But, guys who have been "outsiders" (Byrne/Eichorst) can do things that don't jive with the way Nebraskans do things.  I thought Byrne was a successful AD, but Eichorst wasn't.

Also, as Alberts commented today, he wants to continue to take NU into the future.  The fans will be more open to potential changes, if it's coming from a guy who knows NU's history.

• Plus1 4
  • Oh Yeah! 1
37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So, apparently this deal was done quite quickly, perhaps negating Warren's ability to travel to Lincoln.

But I'm just saying - he attended the announcement of Northwestern's new AD. 

Maybe this shows how important it is to win The Battle for NU.  

Big Ten headquarters is also less than an hour's drive from Northwestern's campus.  Not sure he really needed to be there for that but it's a pretty easy trip.

• Thanks 1

Thoughts on Alberts speech. Very professional and polished without seeming "slick". He thanked everyone he should have,  had the right amount of diplomacy mixed in with an authentic emotion that wasnt embarrassing like Herbstreet. 

He supports the coaching staff and operations staff but he expects everyone to be rowing in the same direction and held accountable to a high standard. He is expected to and WILL set the example by working hard- clear shot at Moos being AWOL. He wants to and expects to win AND he's not an excuse guy. Clear shot at the excuse makers. 

He will give Frost plenty of time to right the ship, but will have very high expectations for improvement and NO excuses will be allowed to be made. So Lets just kick the s#!t out of lame a$$, low class, pieces of s#!t Iowa even though and even because they stoop to cheat in such a blatant way :cheers so the subject doesnt come up again.

Like the hire and the speech- well done Trev. Young looking, energetic, professional guy who respects the past but with the skills and ability to be focused on the future. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Also, as Alberts commented today, he wants to continue to take NU into the future.  The fans will be more open to potential changes, if it's coming from a guy who knows NU's history.

I'd be lying if I said this wasn't one of my first thoughts. Trev is kinda insurance if they need to make a change in football. It will soften the blow if Frost is let go by a TO guy that gets Nebraska Football. If Frost goes on a tear, then they'll be printing money so who the hell cares haha. 

• Plus1 8
50 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So, apparently this deal was done quite quickly, perhaps negating Warren's ability to travel to Lincoln.

But I'm just saying - he attended the announcement of Northwestern's new AD. 

Maybe this shows how important it is to win The Battle for NU.  

Trev's the wrong skin color for that to ever happen. 

• Haha 1

If he didn't play at Nebraska and I didn't know his name, his resume would be glaringly unsatisfactory. I can't tell if "understanding Nebraska" is a valuable pre-requisite for the job or not, but if he's forward thinking and has some good insight in to how to manage an organize an administration he should do alright. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1