Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

Tiger Droppings is a very well-known message board that draws a lot of fans from a lot of different teams. It is not for the faint of heart, but it can be a lot of fun.

I haven't checked out the particular thread linked here, but likely they're trashing our hire.

That's what they do. Doesn't matter if it's Nebraska, Arkansas, UCLA, Notre Dame, whatever. They're going to run you through the wringer. 

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Well, if you read that thread, it gives insight not just on the AD hire, but the thoughts on the Nebraska football program in general. LSU certainly isn't a rival, so they have no reason to spew negativity about us... just the truthful views of an impartial fan base of a team that is currently a national power. Irrelevant is how we're perceived... sad, but true. 

They love a coach who ate grass and paid players to cover things up.

Forgive me if I feel their perspectives are skewed.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Well, if you read that thread, it gives insight not just on the AD hire, but the thoughts on the Nebraska football program in general. LSU certainly isn't a rival, so they have no reason to spew negativity about us... just the truthful views of an impartial fan base of a team that is currently a national power. Irrelevant is how we're perceived... sad, but true. 

Why would you expect any fan base to perceive us as anything other than irrelevant right now?  Their fans are taking the time to comment right now because the open would of Pelini still isn't closed and Nebraska is in the news due to the recent hire.  You want to read some real trash talking, head over to the CU message board.  They are still genuinely pissed about the 90s...    

We have the same insights here. We are irrelevant. We're has beens. 20 plus years from any championship. This is not news around these parts. But there are pieces falling into place to try to get us back to relevance.

• Plus1 1

Right, but we all knew that already.  Only one thing changes that.  Winning football games.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly.  The anger from non UNO fans over this is just odd.  I've seen on line people claiming they will never root for Husker athletics (other than wrestling) since they hired Alberts.  So, if we would have hired any AD that had ever cut a sport before, we are supposed to be pissed?  Get over it.That was 11 years ago and UNO athletics have been moving in the right direction ever since.

Funny thing is, I never hear people claim the same thing about him cutting football.

That's because football was god-awful, and wrestling was a national championship program. That, and the manner in which the team was told was incredibly disrespectful, even cowardly.  

• Plus1 4

A lot of outsiders/national media people seem to be painting Alberts as some meathead old-boys-club guy who isn't competent because he said dumb stuff on College Football Live almost 15 years ago. Seems to be ignoring 12 years as a good AD at a Division I school but hey I don't think we should waste too much time on what they think if they're going to insist on interpreting everything our program does uncharitably. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

A lot of outsiders/national media people seem to be painting Alberts as some meathead old-boys-club guy who isn't competent because he said dumb stuff on College Football Live almost 15 years ago. Seems to be ignoring 12 years as a good AD at a Division I school but hey I don't think we should waste too much time on what they think if they're going to insist on interpreting everything our program does uncharitably. 

The pushback to me is quite obvious.  The running line on Nebraska is they can't get out of their own way and are slaves to the past.  Hiring a guy who was the AD at a miniscule non G5 school that happened to also be located in Nebraska and he's a former player?  The headlines write themselves.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

That's because football was god-awful, and wrestling was a national championship program. That, and the manner in which the team was told was incredibly disrespectful, even cowardly.  

This is it.  I think he could do himself a favor by saying something like "I regret the way I informed the team and if I had to do it over again I would have done it differently".

I think that is all it would take for this to go away.  He's just never done that.

I'm not in the bitter group.  I think it's a good selection.  He's done some good things at UNO. 

• Plus1 1

I'm in an overall good place with this hire. Trev's tenure at UNO was a success in totality, particularly when you take into account he had virtually no college administrative experience prior to taking the role. He transitioned them to d1, hammered home deals on an $88 million dollar arena and a $23 million dollar baseball field, helped bolster UNO hockey and brought the department out of a budget crisis.

Yeah, he's another "90's holdover." And he certainly flubbed on some things as an athletic director. We make decisions and live with them. The trick is being right just a little bit more often than being wrong. He seems to have a good track record for doing that.

The national takes are what they are and don't change anything. There are a lot of great things happening in NU athletics. It's the breadwinner (football) that still needs help being dragged out of the trenches. Until that changes, we'll be a fun irrelevant whipping boy because our representative team in the most popular college sport isn't very good.

• Plus1 7

Without acknowledging the specific situation or error, he acknowledged making mistakes in his press conference - I think he’s pretty honest with himself. 

He sat out a (playoff?) game, after he sought additional checkup from an independent doctor from his teams doctor. He suffered a concussion the week prior

- He took a high road then when it was an unpopular opinion.

The ESPN feud is so trivial. ESPN smeared him because he didn’t quit which thus forced a buyout, smart play by his agent. Easy for a broadcasting company to run a former employee over. It was a great move for him in the end, It doesn’t sound like he LOVED that gig and with a young family he dipped out because he was unhappy - not the best approach, but shoot, I don’t blame him for his decision to leave. I safely assume all of us have had a bout with an employer at some point. 

I don’t know enough about how he handled the wrestling information, maybe that’s why he admitted to making mistakes and why he was so thankful in his PC to Sam and Steve who had the AD scoop, but let everything play out instead of blowing it in the press. I’m pretty certain there was a quote about “there are no secrets around here.”

There is only one side to the wrestling story and all honesty it sounds a little Bo/SE-esque. Especially after reading a 3 part series where one of Denney’s wrestlers or coaches is quoted for calling both Alberts and Denney “alphas” when explaining why they butt heads. If Denney was as open to Alberts as he was to the media about their relationship, this is another dud story of two people better off just shutting up, doing without each other, or need to kiss and makeup. Removing emotions, the business side has accomplished much more for the athletic program that has achieved so much in a short time - as others have noted. Also, the move up to D1 is a better look academically.

Try to imagine UNO as a D2 today and tell me what Aksarben area looks like? It’s paid dividends to Omaha and businesses. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I'm in an overall good place with this hire. Trev's tenure at UNO was a success in totality, particularly when you take into account he had virtually no college administrative experience prior to taking the role. He transitioned them to d1, hammered home deals on an $88 million dollar arena and a $23 million dollar baseball field, helped bolster UNO hockey and brought the department out of a budget crisis.

Yeah, he's another "90's holdover." And he certainly flubbed on some things as an athletic director. We make decisions and live with them. The trick is being right just a little bit more often than being wrong. He seems to have a good track record for doing that.

The national takes are what they are and don't change anything. There are a lot of great things happening in NU athletics. It's the breadwinner (football) that still needs help being dragged out of the trenches. Until that changes, we'll be a fun irrelevant whipping boy because our representative team in the most popular college sport isn't very good.

This is pretty much where I'm at with this.  For an outsider, I think Moos did a decent job of understanding our culture but I think it is good to have someone who has a passion for the place. Trev always has and I think passion will make up for any perceived deficiencies / lack of experience. His passion for NU will carry him through the tough times and tough decisions and do what is best for the Univ and not is what is just best for Trev.  That is the take I got from his speech.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1