Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Sorry, this is a totally irrelevant tangent, but this interview set up is cringe. You NEVER frame an interviewee in front a bright a$$ background like that. I don't know which part of the marketing dept. manages videos like this, but this is :bang. Particularly when we know what kind of content another dept. (Husker Vision) is capable of. It looks like he's about two seconds away from being beamed onto a spaceship.

/rant

I'm guessing the producers of this video are also in charge of the new Sports Nightly?

That show is so different from what it was, now that they got rid of all the guys that knew about Husker sports. I know Greg is left but I can't listen to the new version of the show, it is painful. Sports Nightly was so great to listen to, I felt like the guys really knew Husker sports and the state well since most of them were from around here. 

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Sorry, this is a totally irrelevant tangent, but this interview set up is cringe. You NEVER frame an interviewee in front a bright a$$ background like that. I don't know which part of the marketing dept. manages videos like this, but this is :bang. Particularly when we know what kind of content another dept. (Husker Vision) is capable of. It looks like he's about two seconds away from being beamed onto a spaceship.

/rant

Didn't the University just take over media rights from Learfield IMG? 

36 minutes ago, Micheal said:

I'm guessing the producers of this video are also in charge of the new Sports Nightly?

That show is so different from what it was, now that they got rid of all the guys that knew about Husker sports. I know Greg is left but I can't listen to the new version of the show, it is painful. Sports Nightly was so great to listen to, I felt like the guys really knew Husker sports and the state well since most of them were from around here. 

Who did they get rid of? 

Title 9 had alot to do with the program drops Trev made at UNO it was all financial and getting straight with Title 9. Hockey is much bigger in Omaha the UNO wrestling, they had a very good program but it had too happen.

I am not surprised with this hire. I think it is a potential great hire! We seem to be circiling the wagons a bit with our recent hires the past few years. However, they all hold NU close and want success.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Who did they get rid of? 

Ben McLaughlin (I'm not a huge fan of his for some reason, but do note he will still be on baseball games), Austin and I think Tim, I never memorized the last names, but I did like listening to their Family Feud style segment, so of course they cut that and reduced the show to 2 hours. Greg is on vacation so for 2 weeks it has been guest host Bill Doleman sitting in with new host Jessica Coody. I've actually liked Doleman's presence but the new lady is an outsider from Oklahoma trying to be enthusiastic. I hold her Oklahomaness against her :p

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

16 hours ago, Hilltop said:

It's possible it is your pessimistic delivery and doomsday outlook.  Just a hunch.

Nebraska fans having hope and being positive is far from being realistic about how we are perceived nationally by other programs.  We have not been good so 99% of the fans I know realize that other programs don't care about us.  That's ok.  We can understand this reality and still be optimistic about the team and the future.  

There's a difference between pessimism and criticism. I voice criticism when it's warranted, but that doesn't mean I'm pessimistic. I've stated many, many times that I support Frost just as much as anyone, but it's time to show some marked improvement. You've gotta admit that any other coach would have a white-hot seat right about now.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

There's a difference between pessimism and criticism. I voice criticism when it's warranted, but that doesn't mean I'm pessimistic. I've stated many, many times that I support Frost just as much as anyone, but it's time to show some marked improvement. You've gotta admit that any other coach would have a white-hot seat right about now.

Yes.  As I see it, Trev will be "circling the wagons" around Scott by calling out the areas that he believes need addressed.  He doesn't protect the hire of Scott and approve of the current direction of the program but takes a critical eye toward deficiencies and what is necessary or needed to return to greatness.  By doing so, Trev will be supporting both Scott and the University toward to required objective.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Fair enough but I do disagree with the white hot seat.  Scott was given a long leash at the time he was hired because a roster flip was needed.  He was told he would be given the necessary time to do it right.  Add in the additional issues over the last year and a half out of a coaches control and I think most coaches, under the circumstances, would be given a little extra time.  I do think that narrative changes if progress isn't shown this year though.  If Nebraska doesn't make a bowl game this fall, Scott will be coaching for his job in 2022.   

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Fair enough but I do disagree with the white hot seat.  Scott was given a long leash at the time he was hired because a roster flip was needed.  He was told he would be given the necessary time to do it right.  Add in the additional issues over the last year and a half out of a coaches control and I think most coaches, under the circumstances, would be given a little extra time.  I do think that narrative changes if progress isn't shown this year though.  If Nebraska doesn't make a bowl game this fall, Scott will be coaching for his job in 2022.   

This scenario makes me wonder if Frost will push for a Martinez return in 2022 or will he want to start a new QB? If in fact we finish 5-7 etc this season. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

This scenario makes me wonder if Frost will push for a Martinez return in 2022 or will he want to start a new QB? If in fact we finish 5-7 etc this season. 

I think that all depends on how he plays this year.  If he has the kind of year that many think he can, then Frost will want him back.  If not, it's time for a change at QB.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think that all depends on how he plays this year.  If he has the kind of year that many think he can, then Frost will want him back.  If not, it's time for a change at QB.

I agree.  The problem is that if he has the kind of year many think he can, he will likely be looking at the draft instead of returning for a year.  Would be a good problem to have.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3
6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good opinion piece on the hiring of Trev as AD

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/husker-dan-alberts-a-home-run-hire

"Back in the mid-90s when my daughter was going to college at Iowa State, I secretly had someone in mind who I wanted her to marry. I thought the man would be a perfect fit for her. The man had great integrity, honesty, character and intelligence. He was someone who had a great work ethic. He was a man of faith and was loved and respected by the man himself, Tom Osborne. And as an extra bonus, the guy was good looking. The man was the perfect package.

So, who was this "perfect" man, you ask?

Trev Alberts."

sounds like quite the man crush