Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

Actually, that's incorrect.  When Frost got his contract extension they re-negotiated the buyout.  I think a lot of people missed it because I've seen the argument of we couldn't afford the buyout quite a few times.

After 2021 - 2022, 2023, and 2024 would be 5 mil each and add 2.5 for 25 and 26 = 20 million?  Reduce by 5 million after 2022.  Guess I'm not following what isn't correct.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think it's fair to say though that the extension (that came at the tail end of the 2019 season) maybe only looks weirder because of how the 2020 season went. Probably important to point that out.

If we had beaten Illinois & Minnesota (putting us at 5-3) and then locked in a winning season I believe it then looks quite differently standing here today.

That's just kind of how hindsight works though right?

I think it was odd when it happened too. I could have seen the play if we should a .500 or winning record in 2019 as a look we are improving type of deal but two losing seasons with a 2 year extension is just well...unique. 

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

In no way shape or form is this true.  Saying no one else wants this job if Frost got fired is laughable. 

I was referring to the context of Frost having a bad upcoming season (4-8 or worse). Keeping Frost after that fiasco would indicate that Nebraska is sticking with Frost because they can't find a coach to replace him. 

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

After 2021 - 2022, 2023, and 2024 would be 5 mil each and add 2.5 for 25 and 26 = 20 million?  Reduce by 5 million after 2022.  Guess I'm not following what isn't correct.

Yea, I misread it.  Feel like it was poorly worded.  Some articles like this one read it as I did: https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/oregon-ducks/scott-frost-isnt-producing-nebraska-and-his-seat-warming

But the largest reason for that signing, despite getting another two years on his current deal, is that Frost's $26 million buyout was negotiated down to just $5 million through 2024 and drops to $2.5 million in 2025-2026. 

Before, firing Frost would trigger a $26 million buyout. That's just not feasible for an athletic department to pay and then hire another marquee head coach to replace him. 

To make a decision like that, Frost's hot seat would have to be scorching. While he was flying close to the sun, Frost would have at least another season in 2021 to show he can turn around the program. 

But if it's $5 million, that decision became a lot more plausible. Compared to other coaches around the nation, that's a reasonable number for an athletic department like Nebraska to eat. 

• Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Biggest Buyouts in CFB History

Gus at Auburn - $21.5 Million

Taggart at FSU - $20 Million

Weis at ND - $19 Million

Herman at Texas - $15.4 Million

Briles at Baylor - $15.1 Million

*Frost after 2021 would be $20 Million, after 2022 would be $15 Million. 

This is 100% why SF gets 2 more years, especially on the heels of paying Moos his retention bonus, even when he isn’t retained. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I was referring to the context of Frost having a bad upcoming season (4-8 or worse). Keeping Frost after that fiasco would indicate that Nebraska is sticking with Frost because they can't find a coach to replace him. 

It absolutely does not mean that.  But I'm sure you'd like to think that.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I think it was odd when it happened too. I could have seen the play if we should a .500 or winning record in 2019 as a look we are improving type of deal but two losing seasons with a 2 year extension is just well...unique. 

It makes sense.

I'll just say that personally, my confidence level in Frost was way higher immediately after the 2019 season when I accounted for the 2017 recruiting class attrition compared to after going 3-5 last year.

10 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

"...Frost's $26 million buyout was negotiated down to just $5 million through 2024 and drops to $2.5 million in 2025-2026. "

Woah. I didn't know that at all, and I think that changes the context drastically, glad you posted that.

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Trev will give him at least 3 more years.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Woah. I didn't know that at all, and I think that changes the context drastically, glad you posted that.

It should read 5 million per year through 2024 and 2.5 million per year for 2025 and 2026.  That was poorly worded as was mentioned above.  Essentially Moos extended Scott a couple of years but lowered the buyout.  That was likely done as a negotiation to get approval to extend him but that is just me speculating.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I guarantee they could find a coach to replace him if they parted ways.  Even Kansas can find football coaches. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Looking at the buyout numbers, it looks like the extension was Moos was making good on a promise that Frost would have at least 5 years to shake this out. Which I'm good with. Obviously we could pony up and fire him after 21 or 22, but it would hurt financially. I think the consensus when Frost was hired is 5 years would be needed to really see where this is going. Looks to me this is set up for Trev to evaluate for 2 seasons, and decide to extend or terminate after 2022. 

This seems like a logical timeline to me also.  5 years should have been the minimum time for Frost when he was hired which allowed him to turn over roster as much as needed/wanted.  Wish more wins would have happened in the meantime, but these next two years are important for his future 

• Plus1 3
25 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

It should read 5 million per year through 2024 and 2.5 million per year for 2025 and 2026.  That was poorly worded as was mentioned above.  Essentially Moos extended Scott a couple of years but lowered the buyout.  That was likely done as a negotiation to get approval to extend him but that is just me speculating.  

Oh, gotcha. Thanks.

• Plus1 1