Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

It absolutely does not mean that.  But I'm sure you'd like to think that.

I disagree entirely. Keeping Frost if he implodes this season sends the signal that Nebraska is scared they can't do better than Frost.

You would argue that they're just showing belief that he can get it done. Newsflash: it doesn't take 4 years to navigate a team - in the weaker division in its conference - into a bowl game.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I disagree entirely. Keeping Frost if he implodes this season sends the signal that Nebraska is scared they can't do better than Frost.

You would argue that they're just showing belief that he can get it done. Newsflash: it doesn't take 4 years to navigate a team - in the weaker division in its conference - into a bowl game.

I just don't think one of Alberts first major moves as an AD would be to fire Frost after a disastrous year (if that happens)...Frost has a minimum 2 years under Alberts if the records stay as they are...if Moos was here and Frost went 4-8 this year, he would be gone as 4 years of zero progress is completely grounds for term.

If Frost does not get it done this year but miraculously turns it around the next and from there on out...what a serendipitous turn of events occurred for him and us as a program

Don't think this has been linked here. Three-part retrospective look, written just a few months ago, at the killing of UNO's wrestling program, and why there's still a lot of bitterness about it. Perhaps the most critical question: "But if finances and Title IX compliance were primary factors, why then did UNO dispose of a dominant wrestling program only to launch two new men’s programs?"

Even a decade after the fact, Alberts refused their requests to speak on the matter....

Destruction of a Dynasty: The Bombshell That Rocked Nebraska-Omaha Wrestling

Destruction of a Dynasty: A title locked up and a team locked out

Destruction of a Dynasty: The aftermath in Omaha and an opportunity for an upstart

• Fire 1
36 minutes ago, Toe said:

Don't think this has been linked here. Three-part retrospective look, written just a few months ago, at the killing of UNO's wrestling program, and why there's still a lot of bitterness about it. Even a decade after the fact, Alberts refused their requests to speak on the matter.

Destruction of a Dynasty: The Bombshell That Rocked Nebraska-Omaha Wrestling

Destruction of a Dynasty: A title locked up and a team locked out

Destruction of a Dynasty: The aftermath in Omaha and an opportunity for an upstart

Perhaps the most critical question: "But if finances and Title IX compliance were primary factors, why then did UNO dispose of a dominant wrestling program only to launch two new men’s programs?"

One of the things that keeps being brought up is not just the Title IX, but also the fact that the new conference that they were joining had no sanctioned wrestling teams. So on top of jumping to D1 and finding a conference to take all the sports that you are bringing with you, they had a 2nd conference with the hockey team that was going to be/already was the money earner for the Athletic Department, they would need to find a 3rd conference to run their wrestling team with. Now I'm not 100% sure on this, but another thing that's come up a few times was wrestling was only financially viable through fundraisers. What happens when the expenses of moving to D1 balloon for the wrestling program? And what happens if the program goes through some harsh years and stops winning at the pace they did in DII? Also, how many scholarships are needed for a D1 Wrestling program vs DII (there's 10 weight classes right? So at least 10 plus however many more for the 2nd stringers). I understand an Athletic Department not wanting to rely 100% on outside funding to make sure the entire athletic department stays in the black.

How it went down was not good, and I'm sure Alberts privately would agree that he should have went about it in a different way. But it had to be announced and it was just poor timing that the DII championship was scheduled at the same time as UNO was announcing they were going to D1.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a great thread that describes the building process. 

I mean honestly, this is no different "building" than any program in America...point to nice stories and say "see". Fact is we look undisciplined all over the place, cushy puff pieces of this and that is what we have gotten for the past 20 years....but when rubber meets road we look like an "undisciplined and sloppy/soft" team for a vast majority of those years. Tired of the "see" that is hyperbole. I will take a 5-7 team this year if the "see" is obvious..which has not happened.

If we look s#!tty(undisciplined and sloppy) against Illinois, it is going to be a s#!tty year, fact.

But I will always tune in no matter what, cause...GBR!!!

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

no worries, my viewpoint is simply 5 years is enough on a contract without the need to push it to 7. 

Exactly, which was my main point as well. I was the one who said the statement they put on you.  And regarding that statement, it was only to point out that if another two years would be added [which I wouldn't have done] it would be done to the betterment of the university ... instead of adding 10 million into a failed coach.  That is all. 

8 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

One of the things that keeps being brought up is not just the Title IX, but also the fact that the new conference that they were joining had no sanctioned wrestling teams. So on top of jumping to D1 and finding a conference to take all the sports that you are bringing with you, they had a 2nd conference with the hockey team that was going to be/already was the money earner for the Athletic Department, they would need to find a 3rd conference to run their wrestling team with. Now I'm not 100% sure on this, but another thing that's come up a few times was wrestling was only financially viable through fundraisers. What happens when the expenses of moving to D1 balloon for the wrestling program? And what happens if the program goes through some harsh years and stops winning at the pace they did in DII? Also, how many scholarships are needed for a D1 Wrestling program vs DII (there's 10 weight classes right? So at least 10 plus however many more for the 2nd stringers). I understand an Athletic Department not wanting to rely 100% on outside funding to make sure the entire athletic department stays in the black.

How it went down was not good, and I'm sure Alberts privately would agree that he should have went about it in a different way. But it had to be announced and it was just poor timing that the DII championship was scheduled at the same time as UNO was announcing they were going to D1.

In the end what seemed like a very wrong and cruel axing of two sports- ended up being the correct decision. Im guessing Trev could see that for quite some time. 

The story writer chronicles Trev seemingly being indifferent and unsupportive of the wrestling program- maybe that was by design. Trev sees he's got no choice but to cut the program. Does he buddy up to the coach and show his face at every event- only to stab them in the back later. Or does he slowly distance himself to make the "breakup" easier?

At the end of the day- all really bad news should be delivered face to face- very uncool the way it went down. I'm guessing that's what a lot of the animosity is about. Another WILD guess is Trev would have delivered the news in person- BUT the story was coming out- Trev had no control over the story and he had no choice but to get out in front of it and left a clumsy message that unfortunately had to be delivered at the inopportune time of immediately after UNO won a National Championship. WOuld NOT have wanted to be in Trevs shoes there. Yes, that's giving Trev the benefit of the doubt- but very plausible. 

58 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Exactly, which was my main point as well. I was the one who said the statement they put on you.  And regarding that statement, it was only to point out that if another two years would be added [which I wouldn't have done] it would be done to the betterment of the university ... instead of adding 10 million into a failed coach.  That is all. 

I'm a supporter of Coach Frost, but not a fan of adding money- time to the contract until reasonable progress has been made. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Also, how many scholarships are needed for a D1 Wrestling program vs DII (there's 10 weight classes right? So at least 10 plus however many more for the 2nd stringers).

That part is almost identical, wrestling scholarship limit is 9 for D-II and 9.9 for D-I. And again, if scholarship numbers were the real problem, why would you turn around and added men's soccer (9.9 scholarships for D-I) and golf (4.5)?

26 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

At the end of the day- all really bad news should be delivered face to face- very uncool the way it went down. I'm guessing that's what a lot of the animosity is about.

Yeah, even if he was hired to do the dirty work of the board of regents, the way he did it was completely classless. And if he was just brought in to UNO to be a yes man for the regents, that doesn't exactly fill me with warm & fuzzy feelings about his hire at UNL...

• Fire 1