Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

So it seems as if, based on what people are saying here, under circumstances largely out of his control Alberts made and followed through on a tough and unpopular decision that ended up proving ultimately to be very beneficial for the athletics department? And some people are mad about it? Like if you were a big-time UNO football or wrestling head I completely get being upset, but otherwise I'm having a hard time understanding how this is supposed to be a bad thing or reason for concern.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I will never understand why Husker fans are so upset about a sport being canceled at a different school.

I mean..news flash not all Husker fans went to UNL.  Some of us *gasp* went to other schools!  The horror!

TOMT][GIF] Guy shaking his head kind of surprised like, and it mirrors the  same shot back and fourth 4 times, zoomed in a bit each time, a famous male  actor if I

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

A few years ago the Olympics canceled wrestling, a sport that dated back to the original Olympics. The entire wrestling community banded together and had it reinstated. 

Some politics were involved, but I believe the IOC's argument was that the sport needed to do a better job of promoting itself. Which it did. 

On 7/17/2021 at 7:36 PM, JJ Husker said:

As much as we don’t like our irrelevance of the last 20 years, I know deep down the only thing that can stop this ride is me dying. The Callahan and Riley years have already proven that to me. Anybody that made it through that isn’t going anywhere.

This is such a good quote.

I try to shut off my desire to follow the team when losing ruins my Saturdays over and over...but I can't. Kind of funny, really.

4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Is there any chance Alberts being hired helps stabilize or draw the local Omaha talent? I’m not trying to stretch anything - I know he said “I’m not here to tell them who to recruit,” but just genuinely curious if he has ties that could help stabilize the area. 

I think it runs a little deeper and probably can't be fixed by an AD. I don't think most recruits really care who the AD is or where he worked before, and I'm not sure it's really a relationship problem that can be smoothed over. Omaha kids just haven't all grown up on Husker football, so if we want to keep them we've got to start winning. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

This is such a good quote.

I try to shut off my desire to follow the team when losing ruins my Saturdays over and over...but I can't. Kind of funny, really.

Sad but true. At this point it’s an addiction more than simple fandom. Lord knows I’ve wanted to give it up quite a few times over the last 20 years….but I still look forward to and watch every gut wrenching minute of every game. I did force myself to not watch some of a few games towards the end of Callahan’s tenure and I shut off a couple Pelini and Riley games early but not watching is as tough as experiencing the debacle so now I just drink more :lol:

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it runs a little deeper and probably can't be fixed by an AD. I don't think most recruits really care who the AD is or where he worked before, and I'm not sure it's really a relationship problem that can be smoothed over. Omaha kids just haven't all grown up on Husker football, so if we want to keep them we've got to start winning. 

Thanks. Kids are kids and will do what they want, but they are also impressionable. I was just curious if he had built connections in Omaha that could help with his time in Lincoln.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Sad but true. At this point it’s an addiction more than simple fandom. Lord knows I’ve wanted to give it up quite a few times over the last 20 years….but I still look forward to and watch every gut wrenching minute of every game. I did force myself to not watch some of a few games towards the end of Callahan’s tenure and I shut off a couple Pelini and Riley games early but not watching is as tough as experiencing the debacle so now I just drink more :lol:

I feel like a masochist on Saturdays while I sit down to watch a wreck in real time. 

13 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

watching Riley coached teams was just plain painful. like watching a lost puppy.

The 99-yard drive by Iowa in his last game was the epitome of his tenure. We were getting routed by equal or “inferior” teams every week. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I think there was a UNO quarterback that set an NCAA record for passing attempts in a game at like 79 or something crazy like that back in the early 2000s. Was dating a girl I had a crush on in high school.

That was tiny Dana College- Bill Danenhouers team- set a college record by attempting 101 passes in a game. Several of my former players were on that team.   

https://www.yankton.net/sports/article_75e2329c-8fd8-5cb1-8901-a6dfe62c0a8c.html

13 hours ago, internetman said:

you dont think there was anything with UNO being somewhat successful in football and UNL fans/admins/coaches starting to think they will lose recruits? is this a lala-land idea?

You can’t actually be serious? You think D-2 UNO football was going to steal recruits away from UNL?