Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

Updated tweet above with audio. Says Byrne and Osborne were great, but otherwise there was "a real lack of leadership" in the Athletic Department, so I would assume he meant Pederson, Eichorst, and Moos all sucked. Wouldn't surprise me if he'd include Perlman in that group, too.

Once upon a time, it was common for a coach like Devaney to retire and become the new AD. But these days, you're more likely to get a businessy kind of guy at AD, ostensibly because that's a bigger part of a modern AD's job. But you wonder if it's ultimately in a school's best interest to go that route...

So who hired Moos again?    And where were all these coaches who are or were watching as we were nearing the cliff ?      The Regents?  The President and Chancelor?   The other Admin people?   

I will be interested in hearing the rest of the story certainly.  I’m guessing there are many concerned / nervous people throughout the Ath Dept these days.  Budgets in turmoil with $40 million Covid loss. Coach buyouts.  Ticket sales in grave jeopardy and no bowl money in years.  No doubt apparel sales are suffering.  Players getting cash. Fund raising a struggle for facilities.  Inflation raging for most overhead etc.  

Trev has some massive challenges.  And even mens BB is apparently off the tracks.  Trev will need lots of time and massive fan / booster support - no matter who he keeps or fires going fwd in FB.  He’s had to make some hard choices among very ugly choices.  I glad nobody on this board is making these decisions.  No easy way out but run for the exits I’d say.  

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

so I would assume he meant Pederson, Eichorst, and Moos all sucked.

I think you would get pretty close to a unanimous agreement that Pederson & Eichorst were about as bad as it gets. I wouldn't put Moos in the category with those two but the more we learned about him it was clear he wasn't the one who would lead Husker athletics back to relevance.

@Dogs In A Pile Yeah, Moos is kind of a weird case. Whether you think he should've fired Solich or not, you could pretty much figure out that Pederson was kind of a tool. And Eichorst especially, pretty much every single thing I ever heard about him had me like "What in the goddamn f#&%?" Moos, though, outwardly he seemed great. But at this point it's clear that things weren't right with him behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, Toe said:

@Dogs In A Pile Yeah, Moos is kind of a weird case. Whether you think he should've fired Solich or not, you could pretty much figure out that Pederson was kind of a tool. And Eichorst especially, pretty much every single thing I ever heard about him had me like "What in the goddamn f#&%?" Moos, though, outwardly he seemed great. But at this point it's clear that things weren't right with him behind the scenes.

Yeah, bar fights at Lincoln Country Club aren't a good look for the AD of a power five university.

1 minute ago, sho said:

Also heard he spent more time on his ranch in Montana than he spent in Lincoln.   He wasn't much invested in being the AD here.

This "rumor" is very well known.  He took the COVID closedown as an opportunity to do most of his work from his ranch in Montana, and then at some point he just checked out.  He was brought in to fire Mike Riley and hire Scott Frost, which he did.  Then Moos hired Hoiberg (which was also universally lauded) and Will Bolt (who looked great).  His behavior and actions probably changed a lot once COVID became such a big issue for the country, University, and Athletic Department and he just decided it wasn't worth the amount of work needed to do the job properly.  This is not giving him an excuse, but a reason for what happened his last year or so as AD at NU.

• Plus1 2

20 minutes ago, admo said:

Moos hired 9 head coaches.  It's not like he didn't do anything for the athletic department.

Moos's approach was to hire the coaches, and then let them do their jobs.  Most coaches would like that from an AD.  Unfortunately, based on rumors on the football staff front, it sounds like some of the football coaches took advantage of that freedom, and weren't as professional as they probably should have been.

Regarding the administration of the Athletic Department, again he let his Assistant AD's handle the bulk of the work without micro-management.  That can work a lot of the times, but during COVID, with the uncertainty going around the University and Athletic Department, Moos probably needed to be more hands-on.  He took the opposite approach, which led to his "early retirement".

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Moos's approach was to hire the coaches, and then let them do their jobs.  Most coaches would like that from an AD.  Unfortunately, based on rumors on the football staff front, it sounds like some of the football coaches took advantage of that freedom, and weren't as professional as they probably should have been.

Regarding the administration of the Athletic Department, again he let his Assistant AD's handle the bulk of the work without micro-management.  That can work a lot of the times, but during COVID, with the uncertainty going around the University and Athletic Department, Moos probably needed to be more hands-on.  He took the opposite approach, which led to his "early retirement".

Thanks.  Yeah I'm just giving him due credit for hiring so many coaches in a short period time.  But I also agree with you, that he had his assistants handle the bulk of the job duties beyond the hiring.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, admo said:

Thanks.  Yeah I'm just giving him due credit for hiring so many coaches in a short period time.  But I also agree with you, that he had his assistants handle the bulk of the job duties beyond the hiring.

He does deserve credit, especially considering the coaches he hired.  While Frost and Hoiberg haven't worked out as everyone has hoped, they each had near unanimous approval from the fans.  Now, some will say "well, it wasn't hard to get everyone's top choice".  That may be true to an extent, but he still had to convince Frost, Hoiberg, and Bolt to come to NU.  Nebraska fans would have revolted in 2017/18 if Frost had gone to another school or stayed at UCF.  That's the pressure which was on Moos at the time.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He does deserve credit, especially considering the coaches he hired.  While Frost and Hoiberg haven't worked out as everyone has hoped, they each had near unanimous approval from the fans.  Now, some will say "well, it wasn't hard to get everyone's top choice".  That may be true to an extent, but he still had to convince Frost, Hoiberg, and Bolt to come to NU.

Yep.  I will say, I get the feeling the department is in better hands with Trev Alberts.  To help them however he can, but also put down some winning expectations.  I do think Frost has another chance to finally turn this around and get it into a winning program again.  Not so sure it would have happened under Moos if he was still here.  And, I really really did not like hearing about the quiet contract extension Hoiberg received.  It literally has messed things up severely, because Trev's hands are tied because of it (assuming things don't get better next season).

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1