Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

19 minutes ago, C N Red said:

Its hilarious how everyone is so worried about something like this. Most people have no idea what went down at UNO. It was either cut things and keep the school around, or shut the school down. Colleges are still for school right? And Nebraska's budget is WAY different than mess UNO had going at the point in time Trev took over. If he can raise money and football actually gets reasonable again, there will not be any sports cut b/c the football program can make enough at UNL to carry every other sport

My comment on Mark Manning not being thrilled isn't about the wrestling program being cut at UNL (which will never happen), it's about Manning being a former national champ at UNO.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I just remember hearing something about wanting diversity in their hire?  I guess all those doors closed quickly.

I think that was completely fabricated by someone.  I don't remember seeing anyone from the University make that statement.

• Plus1 4

I really feel good about bringing Trev in. Felt like he was the guy for quite a while.

As it pertains to football, Frost needs to be guaranteed he can see his current contract all the way through, and I'm hoping Alberts will provide that cushion. And I respect others' opinions but I honestly can't imagine someone seeing it any differently. Alberts firing Frost even after the 2022 season would surely send a message out to the college football world that Husker football is officially dead.

We can weather even one more losing season this year if it comes to it. Frost can get this thing turned around.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

I really feel good about bringing Trev in. Felt like he was the guy for quite a while.

As it pertains to football, Frost needs to be guaranteed he can see his current contract all the way through, and I'm hoping Alberts will provide that cushion. And I respect others' opinions but I honestly can't imagine someone seeing it any differently. Alberts firing Frost even after the 2022 season would surely send a message out to the college football world that Husker football is officially dead.

We can weather even one more losing season this year if it comes to it. Frost can get this thing turned around.

I disagree with nearly all of this. But I will just say this: nobody is going to think Nebraska firing a coach after 4 seasons and a winning percentage in the 30s signals that we're "dead". Keeping Frost just signals the job is undesirable and nobody else wants it, which has some truth.

Will Frost be fired after this season? Extremely doubtful. But don't act like Nebraska football is dead without him. He's accelerated the decline.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Trev should do his job as he see's fit. If Trev thinks Frost needs a couple more years, by all means that should be the case. If after this season or after 2022 he see's major red flags and has seen enough - he should move forward with a new coach. Zero reason to go in to this with a plan to keep a football coach (or any coach) for X amount of time. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10914663&usqp=CAU

Probably not. 

Everything about this smells like he was down the list of candidates, too. 

Well, considering the racist tirades from some of our more "mentally challenged" board members about one of the more prominent and promising candidates...that *probably* helped other candidates decide 'thanks, but no thanks' to the offer. And Trev was likely the "In Case of Emergency" option since he's readily accessible/available, he's a former player, and he's white. 

And if you think that derp was localized to just the message board here...well, it's not, sadly. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I disagree with nearly all of this. But I will just say this: nobody is going to think Nebraska firing a coach after 4 seasons and a winning percentage in the 30s signals that we're "dead". Keeping Frost just signals the job is undesirable and nobody else wants it, which has some truth.

Will Frost be fired after this season? Extremely doubtful. But don't act like Nebraska football is dead without him. He's accelerated the decline.

The basis for what I said in that post could be boiled down roughly to this: There's a difference between a completely clueless coach that is clearly incapable of fixing something when things are going wrong and a coach that is capable but has had a bunch of struggles.

Frost is the latter. It's been extremely disappointing to watch the team f*** up on special teams and with turnovers for three seasons. But personally I don't think the last three seasons show Scott to be the kind of coach in the first description above; he just needs to get his position coaches motivated to do better and start putting the pieces together.

He also needs a string of seasons where some of his star players aren't getting kicked off the team or leaving (Washington, Robinson).

• Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I just remember hearing something about wanting diversity in their hire?  I guess all those doors closed quickly.

This is a bad take. We should all value diversity and strive for it at every level. But valuing diversity does not mean a white guy never gets hired.

And no intelligent member of administration would ever publicly say that they are looking for someone of a specific race, ethnicity, or sex for any position.

• Plus1 6
10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Trev should do his job as he see's fit. If Trev thinks Frost needs a couple more years, by all means that should be the case. If after this season or after 2022 he see's major red flags and has seen enough - he should move forward with a new coach. Zero reason to go in to this with a plan to keep a football coach (or any coach) for X amount of time. 

This is a good take.

I just tend to believe that Frost is roughly as competent at turning things around from this point forward (or even in 2022ish) than anybody else we could bring in...and then endure yet another 3-4 years of rebuild period, etc.