Jump to content


Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference


Recommended Posts


3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question, why would anyone be upset that they hired a search team?

 

Because NU fans are always way over-concerned about how much $ is being spent by the Athletic Department.  Hiring a "national search firm" only to hire the AD at the college 50 miles away would be considered a waste of money by some.  I frankly don't care what the Athletic Department spends their $ on.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Personally I had become a fan of Klassy and was rooting for him, but Trev is just fine. I understand that people close to the UNO wrestling program harbor I’ll will and I get it. With that said, anyone saying that programs here are in danger don’t have a clue. Some people b!^@h just to b!^@h. Completely different scenarios. I

  • Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment

There are other people I think I would have rather had but I don't think there's any way you can call a 12-year Division I AD who navigated a change in NCAA division and went through a major facilities construction "unqualified".

  • Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I really feel good about bringing Trev in. Felt like he was the guy for quite a while.

 

As it pertains to football, Frost needs to be guaranteed he can see his current contract all the way through, and I'm hoping Alberts will provide that cushion. And I respect others' opinions but I honestly can't imagine someone seeing it any differently. Alberts firing Frost even after the 2022 season would surely send a message out to the college football world that Husker football is officially dead.

 

You can't be serious. His current contract runs though the 2026 season. If, hypothetically, things don't turn around you would retain a coach through 9 consecutive losing seasons? Keeping a coach around no matter what his record would send a loud and clear message you all but given up on winning as well lost your mind. How about evaluating the coach as things go forward instead of a blanket we're keeping him hell or high water attitude.

 

And don't worry about sending out a message about Husker football being dead.12-20 under Frost, 31-39 the last six years and 1 bowl appearance since the 2014 season has pretty well taken care of that.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

 

Because NU fans are always way over-concerned about how much $ is being spent by the Athletic Department.  Hiring a "national search firm" only to hire the AD at the college 50 miles away would be considered a waste of money by some.  I frankly don't care what the Athletic Department spends their $ on.

I hired a search firm once for a position I needed filled then ended up promoting from within.  Still glad I hired them.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

There are other people I think I would have rather had but I don't think there's any way you can call a 12-year Division I AD who navigated a change in NCAA division and went through a major facilities construction "unqualified".

The easiest thing Trev could have done was continue to let the UNO football program limp along. They never drew well even when they were very good- I played there. DII was dying and the fan and facility support just wasnt there for DI for football. Wrestling was great but failed to draw also. It was a very risky, difficult, brave , but correct decision to do what Trev did. Dumping football, wrestling, adding hockey and going DI. It was visionary and the right course of action. Add in the facilities theyve added and reasonable success- he did a very good job. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

I understand people's worries about him, but it does seem like he has helped grow UNO. I know his moves weren't popular, but it seems like UNO is in a good spot right now and is growing. Seems like a guy who had to make extremely difficult decisions, stuck with those decisions, and it is paying off in many ways. Maybe he could have done things differently and gotten the same results, but he did what he did and it has had benefits.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Pretty good summer press conference. I didn’t think it would end up being Alberts, but why not? Carter and Green seem to have gotten their guy and feel very confident in this decision, it turned out to be pretty swift - which makes me walk back my doubts on leadership. I think they hired a hustler with a lot of gas in the tank to do the gritty work.

 

I’m pretty optimistic over this hire. He’s been in the public eye over spats as a broadcaster and AD decisions made, but I believe he has come out better off each time. His discipline will be a good thing for this athletic department and the football coach. 
 

Does seem like Moos wore out his welcome, but dang, I hope his resume of the coaching hires at NU proves his worth.
 

Green’s final statement about their (Alberts and Green’s) commitment to the B1G was a good note too, especially highlighting the leadership and striving to be a leader in the B1G. I think that’s a small but important campaigning of goodwill and assuredness to aligning with conference goals.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Toe said:

@J-MAGIC How many years does he have administering a major football program? I hear that's a pretty big sport at Nebraska. :snacks:

I would think that he would leave the administration of a football program to the football coach.  Yeah, football is the bell cow at Nebraska, but that just means that enables a bigger budget within the athletic department.

 

I think that a guy who was an All-American college football player, Academic All-American, NFL player, and former member of the media covering college football who has remained close to people in college football has a pretty good idea of how to run an athletic program which counts on football to drive revenue and success within the athletic department.

  • Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

 

You can't be serious. His current contract runs though the 2026 season. If, hypothetically, things don't turn around you would retain a coach through 9 consecutive losing seasons? Keeping a coach around no matter what his record would send a loud and clear message you all but given up on winning as well lost your mind. How about evaluating the coach as things go forward instead of a blanket we're keeping him hell or high water attitude.

 

And don't worry about sending out a message about Husker football being dead.12-20 under Frost, 31-39 the last six years and 1 bowl appearance since the 2014 season has pretty well taken care of that.

 

Yeah good call. I think I'd probably rewrite that original post a bit in hindsight.

 

If he goes 5-7, 5-7 the next two seasons and melts down in post game pressers and recruiting classes fall completely off the map I probably wouldn't want to keep him.

 

What I was mainly trying to communicate is the confidence I feel in Frost being capable of getting things at least back to where Bo had them. And in that context, firing him let's say after 2022 and then waiting on another 3-4 year rebuild with somebody else doesn't really seem like it would be the solution with the highest likelihood of paying out.

 

Just my intuition there (which could be completely wrong).

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...