2021 Red - White Match

• 1 month later...

If Cook is a man of his word about positions are anyone's to fight for, he is going to have a hard decision on who the starters are.

Callie looked really good offensive wise. Hope she keeps it up. 

Both Lauenstien and Batenhorst were fun to watch and stepped up.  

Only Starter that I think you can guarantee is Hanes (if she is healthy) with Evans as a close 2nd as setter. 

And for the announcers. I usually am not happy with Big10+ announcers, but they had me laughing during most of the game and made it interesting to watch. 

The big and unfortunate news of the night was the injury to Hames. I couldn’t tell if it was a knee or ankle. You hope it’s only an ankle. Still don’t have any info on the injury as of Sunday afternoon. We saw Poulter take a nasty fall in the Olympics where she couldn’t put any weight on her ankle, and she was back in the line up 3 – 4 days later.

The three freshman pin hitters were as advertised. All three showed in glimpses why they were ranked near the top of their class. Batenhorst (12 kills) started hot, then cooled off a bit. Krause (12 kills) never really got going but still had decent numbers. Lauenstein (14 kills) probably had the best night of the trio. Really athletic and her swing is like a whip. All three appear to a have higher ‘approach leap’ than either Sun or Kubik. Batenhorst struggled in passing, much as she did in the latter parts of the U20 Worlds. Was surprised how well Lauenstein performed at the service line.

Rodriguez is the real deal. There was one sequence where she made three straight spectacular digs (I can’t remember if Red won the point) reminiscent of Justine Wong-Orantes. Will enjoy seeing her at libero for the next four years. Orr looked rusty, like she hadn’t played a match in two years. The brilliant set to the middle followed by a ‘huh ?’ push to the left pin. To my untrained eye, I DID see enough to think she could be the next B1G setter on the National Team (see Carlini, Hancock, and Poulter).

It appears that Akana is going to get squeezed for playing time. She’s the best server on the team and did a great job at the libero for the white. She would probably start at libero for 10 or more teams in the B1G. I hope Cook can keep her happy enough to stay.

Anni Evans is my MVP of the night. The only non-scholarship player on the roster was the best and most consistent setter of the match beating out a 2nd team All-American and the top prospect in the nation. At least for one night. Amazed at how well she performed. If Hames has to miss a couple of weeks for an ankle to heal, the coaches have to feel much more confident AND comfortable in Anni coming in and running the offense.