Nebraska and the Big Ten: A decade of struggle for stability

35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We're recruiting at a top-20/top-30 level. We're getting top-50 results. That's a huge problem. 

We have a mental check-out game every season, and in bad seasons two or three. That's been going on for 20 years through five different regimes.

I mean to a certain extent that's just what you get in a sport played by 18-21 year-olds. Every school has check-out games; Alabama, Wisconsin, Iowa. They just usually have the talent or depth to withstand them, which we haven't recently. 

34 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We're recruiting at a top-20/top-30 level. We're getting top-50 results. That's a huge problem. 

We have a mental check-out game every season, and in bad seasons two or three. That's been going on for 20 years through five different regimes.

But if things don't start to turn around pronto we'll be recruiting at a top 50 level. Kind of a cascade effect. That's an even bigger problem. IMHO we are starting to see this with the current class.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Recruiting success *follows* on-field success.  You have to over-achieve and get some good breaks to do a little better than people think you should then the bigger-fish recruits start to show up.

This.  Oregon State's basketball program has been garbage for a couple of decades,  A shocking Elite Eight run this year has brought in a few kids who wouldn't have looked at Oregon State otherwise.  

Dont have ESPN plus, what were some of the main talking points?

Without knowing, here's what immediately come to mind for me over the past 10 years when i think of struggles and inconsistency:

• I haven't been proud of a defensive unit we've fielded in probably 11 years 
  • We are so undisciplined with a ridiculously high propensity of dumb and avoidable penalties that has now been an issue for 3 head coaches
  • I haven't felt comfortable or optimistic with a 2nd half/4th quarter lead in probably 11-12 years
  • I've been severely disappointed with our flat out neglect for the importance of the run game

• Plus1 1

The reason I don't throw the players under the bus, or blame Riley and Shawn Eichorst for everything, is how often Frost's Huskers come out of the locker room and play worse in the second half. 

Those same players and schemes can have a great first quarter or half, but the other team makes the necessary adjustments and we don't. 

Sometimes those decisions are kinda baffling. Sometimes this is noted by the game announcers. If you're a hot recruit looking to play for an innovative and inspiring coach on a trending program, the last two seasons have not been great advertisements. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Both of you have a point, my point is I just want them to get even better at recruiting.  

Agree but I think what others are saying is, we have to have better on field results to get better recruits. We’re pretty much at our ceiling for talent until we start winning more. All things being equal, I can’t imagine too many really good players would choose a 5-7 program over a 9-3 program.

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The reason I don't throw the players under the bus, or blame Riley and Shawn Eichorst for everything, is how often Frost's Huskers come out of the locker room and play worse in the second half. 

Those same players and schemes can have a great first quarter or half, but the other team makes the necessary adjustments and we don't. 

Sometimes those decisions are kinda baffling. Sometimes this is noted by the game announcers. If you're a hot recruit looking to play for an innovative and inspiring coach on a trending program, the last two seasons have not been great advertisements. 

Agree. Frost and his staff have to begin showing some growth in their decision making and adjustments. I like Frost and want him to do well but he has been outcoached at almost every turn. That needs to change. It’s not all on the players and talent level.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, teachercd said:

The only thing (well, big thing, not counting penalties and turnovers) holding NU back is recruiting.  There is no reason that NU can't recruit at a higher level.

If kids are fine with playing in crappy places like C-bus and Annie Arbor and freaking PSU, they would be fine with playing in Lincoln.

Kids don't care about the city/town, because all their time is spent on/near campus as it is.  NU needs salesmen, period.  

I’ll buy this.  Been saying for years finishing 23rd in recruiting, typically behind lots of other BIG schools, and then having key recruits leave or be busts is not winning any division championships. Don’t expect big results unless we are top of the division in recruiting. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I’ll buy this.  Been saying for years finishing 23rd in recruiting, typically behind lots of other BIG schools, and then having key recruits leave or be busts is not winning any division championships. Don’t expect big results unless we are top of the division in recruiting. 

It is like this, think back to HS

Think of the top 5 hottest girls in your school...Now think of the top 50 hottest girls in your school.  Big drop off...NU has to start getting recruits close to the top 5 instead of the 37th.

• Haha 4
22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is like this, think back to HS

Think of the top 5 hottest girls in your school...Now think of the top 50 hottest girls in your school.  Big drop off...NU has to start getting recruits close to the top 5 instead of the 37th.

I had 72 kids in high school, so some of the top 50 would have been dudes.  That's where Nebraska football is right now.  Never heard a better analogy. :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

15 hours ago, ZRod said:

In my experience defects in a company or program that are systemic issues almost always come from the top. s#!t rolls down hill, and when you don't have good decision makers at the top you'll never fix your problems.

100% correct. This is a universal truth in all areas.

16 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

One coach who had the locker room willing to run through walls for him went scorched on the next HC before that person was hired. Hired a happy go lucky guy who didn’t hold players accountable - probably made John Parella sick to his stomach and never wanted to coach college kids again. To Frost, who’s ego and connection to Riley would be like having a Colorado Buffalo come coach the Huskers.

The on field success ties to the AD, but I’d put 95% of this on the stark contrast of flip flopping head coaching personalities and philosophies. 

Which is why I think a 5 year overhaul is due for anyone coming into this program. 

I've thought this the whole time... and I feel the same could be applied to when they canned Solich... If they had hired someone who ran a similar system, we may have not seen the drop off that we did from Solich to Callahan or Pelini to Riley. I never understood the want for complete change like that, knowing the players we had wouldn't fit the system coming in

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, knapplc said:

I do agree that Nebraska has underperformed based on recruiting, but I do want to make one thing clear about recruiting rankings, it's not simple to compare rankings of class and assume talent.

For example, for 2021 Nebraska had the #20 class in the country, with four players rated 4*s. The difference between Nebraska's #20 class and the #15 class is huge, Texas finished with one 5* and ten 4* players. More than double the blue chip talent.

Meanwhile, the difference between our class at #20 and Minnesota at #38 isn't that much, they recruited four 4* (just like us) players and have a similar average player rating. Even comparing our class at #20 to Northwestern's class ranked #50, they recruited three 4* players (one fewer than Nebraska) and have an average player rating slightly lower. 

In sum, when comparing classes, don't compare class rankings because it's deceptive. As Nebraska's #20 ranked recruiting class is closer in talent to Northwestern at #50 (30 spots below) than it is to Texas at #15. 

To determine if a class is successful, add up the number of 4* and 5* players. To compete, half your class needs to be in this category. Nebraska realistically can't do that, but they can shoot for 8 of them a season, which is closer to 40% of their class. If Nebraska recruits that many, the class is good. If they recruit less, the class is bad. It's that simple. 

• Plus1 6