Stadium Overhaul

Tell you what, I think that more and more moving forward this is all moot. People are being conditioned to not want to go out and do things as much anyway.  Door dash, Amazon, remote work on the increase, etc, we are becoming a society of homebodies.  I think all events are going to struggle more and more moving forward as more  people who have gotten used to rarely having to go out to get things they want/need become a larger and larger portion of the population in general. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

Tell you what, I think that more and more moving forward this is all moot. People are being conditioned to not want to go out and do things as much anyway.  Door dash, Amazon, remote work on the increase, etc, we are becoming a society of homebodies.  I think all events are going to struggle more and more moving forward as more  people who have gotten used to rarely having to go out to get things they want/need become a larger and larger portion of the population in general. 

Those are real trends but watching the game in someone's basement is never going to be as fun/memorable as going to the stadium to watch in person.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Those are real trends but watching the game in someone's basement is never going to be as fun/memorable as going to the stadium to watch in person.

But if the in-stadium experience is bad, people will not continue to go. 

We just went to a theater for the first time in forever last weekend. It was gross thinking of how many people - and the kinds of skeevy people - have sat in those seats. I have a nice TV and a nice couch and I can pause my movie whenever I want to go to the bathroom. Popcorn doesn't cost $8 and soda isn't $5. 

It will be a LONG time before I go to another theater. It's just not worth it. Same goes for any stadium. If it's not a good experience, people may go once or twice, but not much more than that. If at all. It's nicer in your TV room.

2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Helpful hint-  have someone from your party get there early and stake out all your seats with the chair back rentals. Thats what we do. 

I can't stand those seat backs. A little better for you but terrible for the guy behind you. That's the point, tear out the bleachers and install seats with set spacing. Don't give some people the option to take up even more of others space with those stupid things.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I can't stand those seat backs. A little better for you but terrible for the guy behind you. That's the point, tear out the bleachers and install seats with set spacing. Don't give some people the option to take up even more of others space with those stupid things.

It isn't so much the back support as it is reserving 18 inches for your butt. I've gotten to the stadium after the National Anthem and I literally don't have any part of my body sitting on my seat number and no room to sit down. You have to tell all the fat asses to squeeze down AND SIT ON YOUR NUMBER

I don't want the hassle so now I or someone gets there early and claims the space we paid for. I didn't pay for half a seat, I paid for a full seat.  Im obviously for making the capacity smaller and more fan accommodating. For now if you cant fit into 1 seat, buy 2. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been to a lot of games at Memorial Stadium over the years, but I haven't had season tickets since grad school. Whenever I do go to a game these days, about the only "normal" seats (i.e. not club level or suite level) that I'll even consider getting are in the old east balcony (Sections 101-111). Despite not having seatbacks like the new east balcony (Sections 601-613), this area offers way better sightlines, some protection from the wind, and access to an indoor concourse with concessions, modern restrooms, and a view of the action on the field through massive glass windows. Give me enough enough cocktails before kickoff, and I almost forget that I'm still being crammed into an 18-inch piece of plastic bench. Give me an actual separate seat, and and I might actually consider getting season tickets again.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, internetman said:

Question for the old timers...

Do you see more people staying in the lots and partying (watching the game, eating, drinking, etc) than in the past?

Is it a function of more entertainment in the lots or a reflection of the comfort within the stadium?

Way more doing so now- and even not attending when they have tickets. There were not as many organized options as there are today. Im guessing its a combination of the two. Ive been tempted but havent, HOWEVER if the game is going really bad I leave and hit a friends tailgate or stop at the Railyard. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

We just went to a theater for the first time in forever last weekend. It was gross thinking of how many people - and the kinds of skeevy people - have sat in those seats. I have a nice TV and a nice couch and I can pause my movie whenever I want to go to the bathroom. Popcorn doesn't cost $8 and soda isn't $5. 

It will be a LONG time before I go to another theater. It's just not worth it. Same goes for any stadium. If it's not a good experience, people may go once or twice, but not much more than that. If at all. It's nicer in your TV room.

This is why I would highly suggest watching a movie somewhere like Alamo DraftHouse--excellent food, they make sure people STFU, unique pre-show entertainment, and depending on the movie, specialty themed menus. All things that one doesn't necessarily have access to at home. 

We tried knockoffs (e.g. iPic) and regular theaters (e.g. AMC, Cinemark) and you're right--we had a better experience watching Black Widow, for example, at home with my 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos home system than we did in the theater. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Husker03 said:

You apparently missed out on Generation X, where we perfected this. 

And while you're right, the in-stadium experience is better. But there's a cost/benefit analysis that each person has to do to determine if the proverbial juice is worth the squeeze. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

My only kickback is that the price of these movies need to be severely adjusted. We went, as well and saw Black Widow for $12. In comparison, Disney+ is asking $30 for the movie.

I do think we'll continue to see a resurgence in driver in theaters.

5 minutes ago, YetiJR said:

My only kickback is that the price of these movies need to be severely adjusted. We went, as well and saw Black Widow for $12. In comparison, Disney+ is asking $30 for the movie.

On the other hand, HBO Max is premiering all of its theatrical releases at the same time for no additional cost than what you already pay for the subscription. I've seen Wonder Woman 1984, the new Space Jam, and 2-3 other films on release day in my home theater for no additional cost and it rules.

I still love theaters though.

6 minutes ago, YetiJR said:

We saw Black Widow, too. Good flick. Not worth $12 per ticket. But it's NOT worth it to watch at home for $30, either, I agree.