Stadium Overhaul

35 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I’m surprised that the playing surface does not receive more attention nationally with regard to player safety (maybe I have missed those discussions). Surely more compliant turf or taller grass would be effective in reducing player speeds, and therefore, injuries that arise from collisions and helmet-to-ground contact. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I have played at a high level extensively on both grass and field turf.  I can honestly agree that grass is a much better playing surface to reduce injury, pain, and agony.

My extensive expertise comes from playing a couple years of old man's flag football in Des Moines (in a league that we realized wasn't old man because we were the oldest men).  Field turf can be painful.

However, Nebraska will never go to grass.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have played at a high level extensively on both grass and field turf.  I can honestly agree that grass is a much better playing surface to reduce injury, pain, and agony.

My extensive expertise comes from playing a couple years of old man's flag football in Des Moines (in a league that we realized wasn't old man because we were the oldest men).  Field turf can be painful.

I played in one game on field turf.  I don't remember it hurting anymore than grass but the rubber pellets kept flying up into my eyes.  A frozen field after it had been rained on and tore up hurts more than anything.  Sharp points everywhere

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Didn't Nebraska help develop field turf?  or am I making that up?  Would be weird with the close ties to make a change back to grass.   

Kind of

At the time a Canadian company was peddling it and somehow they had a connection to Tom Osborne I think through a coaching clinic. TO was willing to take a chance on it, first College in the US. He later became a low key advocate for them. 

HUGE improvement over the asphalt like "astro turf" we played on. Wicked turf burns if you didnt cover up you elbows. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I used to play that league too. Great time!