Stadium Overhaul

23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have played at a high level extensively on both grass and field turf.  I can honestly agree that grass is a much better playing surface to reduce injury, pain, and agony.

My extensive expertise comes from playing a couple years of old man's flag football in Des Moines (in a league that we realized wasn't old man because we were the oldest men).  Field turf can be painful.

However, Nebraska will never go to grass.

If field turf is maintained I preferred to play on that. Turf in hot weather sucks a$$, but grass feels super humid too when it's hot, but then again your feet aren't burning so there's that.

I just hated playing on highschool grass fields because they were rough and the grass was always too long.

I only played on astro turf for indoor soccer when I was little and that stuff was awful. It's hard and anytime you fall you got rug burns.

On 9/30/2021 at 1:37 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know about helping develop it, but I'm pretty sure we were the first college team to install it.

PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!

On this side of the Missouri River, it was explained to us that Nebraska helped develop artificial turf and was the first to install it so that the cheerleaders would stop grazing on the grass and actually lead the cheers!

On a serious note, the new turfs are way, way better than what they used to be. The are much longer and softer than the old "astroturf". That said, real grass is where real football should be played!

Good luck tonight, I hope that the Huskers win big.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!

On this side of the Missouri River, it was explained to us that Nebraska helped develop artificial turf and was the first to install it so that the cheerleaders would stop grazing on the grass and actually lead the cheers!

On a serious note, the new turfs are way, way better than what they used to be. The are much longer and softer than the old "astroturf". That said, real grass is where real football should be played!

Good luck tonight, I hope that the Huskers win big.

The not so interesting part of growing up in Nebraska…..moving to Iowa for 15 years ….and now back in Nebraska for 16 years ….is you hear the same jokes both ways.  

Here’s another novel one. Do you know the best thing coming out of Iowa?  I 80. 

PS…..this is not me not having a sense of humor. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have noticed this is a much bigger problem due to the construction.  I've never experienced really bad problems getting somewhere until this year.  I've sat in the north east corner a couple times this year and getting in sucks.  You have to get there early because there's a long line at one gate.

However, when leaving, I don't think some people realize that you can get from the north stadium to the east side (south of the construction) before you leave the stadium.  

Not sure how this gets fixed until the construction is done.  We only have three home games left and next year the construction should be done enough to allow more natural flow of traffic.

• Plus1 1
On 10/2/2021 at 5:28 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Here’s another novel one. Do you know the best thing coming out of Iowa?  I 80. 

And the not so good thing coming out of Iowa --  the stench.  

Traveling up I-29 from Tulsa on our way back to SD, we knew we were in Iowa when we could smell the pig lots and cattle lots.   And after the Iowa fan reactions to PSU injuries this past week, the stench got stronger.  

4 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Replace "Thunderstruck" with "Breathe and Destroy".  So much more energy, familiar but unique and doesn't seem as dated.  UNK was using "Thunderstruck" at basketball games 30 years ago.  The verbiage in the bridge could be replaced with 'Husker rallying cries and great plays on the video board.

Familiar to whom?

49 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Replace "Thunderstruck" with "Breathe and Destroy".  So much more energy, familiar but unique and doesn't seem as dated.  UNK was using "Thunderstruck" at basketball games 30 years ago.  The verbiage in the bridge could be replaced with 'Husker rallying cries and great plays on the video board.

You think Thunderstruck sounds dated compared to those two songs????

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have noticed this is a much bigger problem due to the construction.  I've never experienced really bad problems getting somewhere until this year.  I've sat in the north east corner a couple times this year and getting in sucks.  You have to get there early because there's a long line at one gate.

However, when leaving, I don't think some people realize that you can get from the north stadium to the east side (south of the construction) before you leave the stadium.  

Not sure how this gets fixed until the construction is done.  We only have three home games left and next year the construction should be done enough to allow more natural flow of traffic.

Make it wider and have our enemies heads on each post across the entire bridge. 

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Hard pass

On 9/29/2021 at 7:24 PM, suh_fan93 said:

Was 2013 the last time we replaced the turf? I could've swore we did a few years ago, was surprised at the short turnaround but I suppose my memory is probably wrong on this one.

Grass is a neat pie in the sky idea that has very little chance of actually happening. Either way, though, I'd like to see them do something different with the field design. We've had the exact same one for the last 16 years (17 when they replace it). Red end zones is an idea I think I'd love, especially if we incorporated the script 'Huskers' in one or both endzones in white. 

16 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Was 2013 the last time we replaced the turf? I could've swore we did a few years ago, was surprised at the short turnaround but I suppose my memory is probably wrong on this one.

They talked about replacing it before Covid, but I think the pandemic put the idea on hold.

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You know your old when this bridge didn’t exist. My dad had to toss me between parked railroad cars. 

• Plus1 1