Stadium Overhaul

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We saw Black Widow, too. Good flick. Not worth $12 per ticket. But it's NOT worth it to watch at home for $30, either, I agree. 

Sorry, should've clarified - $12 total. Most theaters offer cheap movies Tuesday all day, and cheap movies Thursday (students) all day.

58 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

This is why I would highly suggest watching a movie somewhere like Alamo DraftHouse--excellent food, they make sure people STFU, unique pre-show entertainment, and depending on the movie, specialty themed menus. All things that one doesn't necessarily have access to at home. 

We tried knockoffs (e.g. iPic) and regular theaters (e.g. AMC, Cinemark) and you're right--we had a better experience watching Black Widow, for example, at home with my 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos home system than we did in the theater. 

Disney also appreciated you staying home and watching it as they take all dat monies and dont have to share. 

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, YetiJR said:

My only kickback is that the price of these movies need to be severely adjusted. We went, as well and saw Black Widow for $12. In comparison, Disney+ is asking $30 for the movie.

I do think we'll continue to see a resurgence in driver in theaters.

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We saw Black Widow, too. Good flick. Not worth $12 per ticket. But it's NOT worth it to watch at home for $30, either, I agree. 

The Disney+ movies for $30 a pop have been a great deal for our family of four. Avoiding the additional ticket prices, exorbitant concessions, and unclean environment is a no-brainer for a family movie.

• Plus1 1

Wishful dreamer .....

Partially tearing down. New seats ......... closer to the action.

wwZe1Iy.png

tUJhg5k.png

Notice green arrow for above picture. Tinker-toy construction. Very easy to demolish south/north upper rows. IMO, much cheaper than East project because existing cement column foundations (no digging).

Final product .......

TdcbBmj.png

sKJVoBL.png

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

17 hours ago, runningblind said:

You know we're getting close to the season when @Hooked on Huskersstarts talking about installing natural grass again.

Too late now but next year, install beautiful, nice odor, eliminate nasty tire chemicals, softer & cooler surface, less injury natural grass.

Joined OU, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Penn St, Auburn, Ohio St (install 2022 or 2023), etc etc etc ........ all natural grass

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
18 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

OWH had article about the sellout streak ending and overhauling the stadium to make it smaller and more fan friendly. If you go to games and have traveled to other venues, you know Memorial Stadium, while historic and cool in it's own quaint way is not very fan friendly. The tiny seats (and overweight Nebraska populace) with little room, knees in your back, no seat backs, no place to put your drinks, WWll era bathrooms, long concession lines, limited parking, no alcohol  etc make it not a great place to watch a game. 

That is reality. Who better to completely revamp the stadium, the game experience and make it smaller than Trev Alberts. He is a former player with a lot of Nebraska history flowing through him. A visionary who has made the difficult decisions, taken the criticism and has experience raising money and building venues in very difficult circumstances.

The net is it's so much easier, comfortable and less expensive to watch from home, at a friends or even at the local sports bar than to go in person. I for one like to enjoy good food, a drink or two, an easy trip to the bathroom just a few feet away and all from the comfort of my easy chair AND the ability to watch as many replays of a play as I wish to. AND for other demographics, in person football is competing with an entire plethora of other activities. 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/mckewon-husker-footballs-sellout-streak-is-in-trouble-and-that-could-be-good-news/article_e5b51688-e827-11eb-876d-7f785f0ee370.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Big_Red_Today_-_Omaha_World-Herald&fbclid=IwAR3XD4cQ20bDOVoGaQthnwhWcMkXuv2yn55_plYzuK327rBCht9WyRMKCLw

all of your “negative” points are why I actually go to games. Except beer sales. They need to sell beer. 

I’ve brought many friends of opposing teams to games over the years and they have, to a tee, loved their experience in Memorial. 
I wouldn’t change one thing except beer sales and maybe less bulls#!t on the big screens/speakers during games. 

we are there to cram in, cheer loud, stand up, have fun, get rowdy and rock those f’ing foundations. Go home if you don’t want to do that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
6 hours ago, I am I said:

all of your “negative” points are why I actually go to games. Except beer sales. They need to sell beer. 

I’ve brought many friends of opposing teams to games over the years and they have, to a tee, loved their experience in Memorial. 
I wouldn’t change one thing except beer sales and maybe less bulls#!t on the big screens/speakers during games. 

we are there to cram in, cheer loud, stand up, have fun, get rowdy and rock those f’ing foundations. Go home if you don’t want to do that. 

kinda of hostile? boozin' on a tuesday night? no one is personally attacking you. 

OP has his own opinions on the stadium and they are just as valid as yours.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, I am I said:

You go to games to have to fight for your 18 inches of space, have knees in your back all game, no leg room and stand in long restroom lines? Cool, whatever flips your switch- I go to watch football with friends and family, have fun and support my team- that experience isnt enhanced by any of the 1940s era amenities.  NU attendance will falter greatly in todays environment without a major upgrade. They have to understand what they are competing against for that entertainment dollar and Im thinking that's why they hired someone like Trev to address it.  

23 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

well when people are commenting on the size of fans I don't know if stadium seats fix that.  I've attended most of the games I've been to with my uncle who is 6'6" and for many years over 400lbs and my father who is 6'4" 250ish.  I 've had to sit next to both of them in stadium seats and its not that comfortable.  chances are if you are in front of them you are still getting knees in your back.  That's at baseball games as well - Wrigley, Commisky park (old and new), whatever the Brewers stadium is called, Tiger stadium, River front.  even going to games without them I don't recall being very comfortable unless the seats around me were empty and I could sprawl out.

I have been to many games at both Jack Trice and Wrigley and don't ever remember being uncomfortable.  Both stadiums have stadium seats and plenty of room.  Even the bleachers in the outfield at Wrigley have enough room.

I still love going to live games.  I love Lincoln on game day.  Hitting the bars, restaurants, Tailgating..... the sea of red.  The buzz on the streets before the game.

I just bought three games with the three game package and am sooo looking forward to it.  I also am going to Wrigley to watch the Cubs in a couple of weeks.  Love Chicago.  Love Wrigleyville on game day.  Love hitting up Murphy's before and after the game.  Walking into the ball park on a warm summer Saturday afternoon.

• Oh Yeah! 1

I think while people may not attend games because it is not "comfy" like home or even a bar, I really don't think there is anything that can be done that will make it "comfy" enough where those people will now attend games.

1.  You will not beat the comfort of your own place or god forbid your "Husker Man Cave"

2.  You will not beat the comfort of a short drive to the sports bar compared to driving to or around Lincoln

3.  You will not beat the cheapness of staying home or a bar compared to going to the game

Going to the game, I would imagine for most, is not about how comfy it is but more about the experience.  It is like people that love the experience of seeing a movie in the theater.  Theaters are way nicer, comfy, serve beer and real food, but none of that attracts me to hit up the theater.  I don't need orr really want that experience when I see a movie. 

The last games I attended were all road games.

Wisky, Minny, NW, Purdue, Illinois and Michigan,  The comfort level, how ever you want to define that, did not matter, the experience with my friends was all we cared about.  

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have been to many games at both Jack Trice and Wrigley and don't ever remember being uncomfortable.  Both stadiums have stadium seats and plenty of room.  Even the bleachers in the outfield at Wrigley have enough room.

I still love going to live games.  I love Lincoln on game day.  Hitting the bars, restaurants, Tailgating..... the sea of red.  The buzz on the streets before the game.

I just bought three games with the three game package and am sooo looking forward to it.  I also am going to Wrigley to watch the Cubs in a couple of weeks.  Love Chicago.  Love Wrigleyville on game day.  Love hitting up Murphy's before and after the game.  Walking into the ball park on a warm summer Saturday afternoon.

I'm not a huge person but I have definitely been uncomfortable in Wrigley's bleachers.  Usually stop caring after my 8th beer tho.  Most of the times I have sat in the bleaches they were completely packed.  I guess their stadium seats aren't that bad.  My uncle had season tickets for the Bears so I've seen plenty of games in Soldier Field.  I personally feel at least in the south end zone the seats don't offer much space.  In reality I don't really care all that much.  I'm willing to be slightly uncomfortable while watching my favorite sport just in case something amazing happens so one day I can tell someone "hey, I was there when that happened".  

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm not a huge person but I have definitely been uncomfortable in Wrigley's bleachers.  Usually stop caring after my 8th beer tho.  Most of the times I have sat in the bleaches they were completely packed.  I guess their stadium seats aren't that bad.  My uncle had season tickets for the Bears so I've seen plenty of games in Soldier Field.  I personally feel at least in the south end zone the seats don't offer much space.  In reality I don't really care all that much.  I'm willing to be slightly uncomfortable while watching my favorite sport just in case something amazing happens so one day I can tell someone "hey, I was there when that happened".  

Have you been back since they rebuilt the bleachers?