So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

16 minutes ago, internetman said:

the problem with KU is the football program. their facilities are third world (in todays standards). the have a stink coming off them. 

football makes all the money. bball is an after thought. also they do not have wrestling which I think is a requirement 

Didn't stop us from taking Maryland and Rutgers.

48 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Brian Christopherson made a great point about any prior discussion of NU leaving the Big Ten for the Big 12, in that it was all tied to nostalgia about the old Big 8, and how NU dominated the end of that conference in football, as well as other thoughts on a close-knit, regional conference of 30+ years ago.  That ended when the Big 8 became the Big 12.  The regional conferences are now over.  NU may not always like our fit in the Big Ten, but there is no going back to regional conferences.

I've been linking this a lot lately, in various contexts...

81QPTHuCpdL.jpg

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, internetman said:

that could be true. my brain might be stuck in the "tv market" mindset. 

we need to be thinking about the amount of people that go to games and also would subscribe to a disney plus or netflix etc. to watch the games. Many people think this is where its all going. and KU hoops has a TON of fans. 

Best I could find (I know its a little dated), but KU brings a lot of eyeballs. Also they have the academic profile that the B1G wants. Seem like a shoo- in to me.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Best I could find (I know its a little dated), but KU brings a lot of eyeballs. Also they have the academic profile that the B1G wants. Seem like a shoo- in to me.

I think KU would be attractive to the Big Ten.  The Big Ten LOVES basketball, probably even more than football.  KU could start a wrestling program if that is needed for the conference.

58 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm not a fan of Warren, but what do you expect him to say?  I am sure he has already had discussions with the Big Ten Universities and Presidents about potential schools which would be attractive to pursue in the next round of conference shake-ups.

My comment wasn’t about that quote. 

Another story on this

https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/ncaa/ut-ou-plan-to-leave-the-big-12-sources-say/287-6d7e76c5-22fe-4faa-912f-b1c423570f15?fbclid=IwAR0yW_oftLtO-C2_qTdRMVdBcbyb4GOhOUJgWPS_RgidwSM7i4Lf-_Y4fbs

Early next week (Tuesday or Wednesday), both schools will jointly file a letter with the BIG 12 and say they’re not going to renew their media rights, sources say.

Multiple sources confirmed to WFAA that the University of Texas and Oklahoma's break from the BIG 12 is imminent, and we now know at least some of the timing involved in their bid to jump to the SEC.

Early next week (Tuesday or Wednesday), both schools will jointly file a letter with the BIG 12 and say they’re not going to renew their media rights.

Then it's up to both schools to go to the SEC to apply for acceptance -- and then it's up to the SEC to decide what it wants to do.

After Texas and OU tell the BIG 12 they will not renew their media/television rights with the BIG 12, nothing happens until the end of 2025. Both universities will stay and play in the BIG 12. After the end of 2025, they will begin in their new conference (providing they are accepted).

As for why a pair of schools that are clearly at the top of the pecking order would make a move, simply follow the money.

The BIG 12 TV contracts expire in 2025.

A move to the SEC would ensure millions more for each school on an annual basis.

And for the SEC, Texas and OU's 117-year old rivalry would certainly be attractive, and it would also make the SEC the first 16-team mega league, and a model for the future of college football.

Texas and OU will lose money if they stay in the BIG 12.

As a package deal, Texas and OU are more attractive than individually.

Both schools attempted to dismiss earlier reporting on this as a rumor. Insiders say that UT Board Chairman Kevin Eltife has long been concerned about the everchanging landscape of collegiate athletics and has worked with the university administration to position the Texas Longhorns for success in the coming era.

Meanwhile, Texas A&M’s athletics director says they’d like to remain the only Texas team in the SEC.

There are obstacles that could stand in the way.

Could the issue become political and have someone like Gov. Greg Abbott get involved? What’s to happen to the rest of the BIG 12, with schools like TCU, Baylor and Texas Tech?

Those are all answers that could come in short order after Texas and Oklahoma make this stunning move in just six days.

For all of the financial benefits of the B1G, every Husker misses winning conference championships – which hasn't happened in two decades. Nattys? Not even remotely on the horizon. Why? One reason is the absence of recruiting grounds.

A&M is furious about the idea of UT joining them in the SEC. What if A&M called NU with the idea of creating a "new" conference that they both could control – kinda like the old days of the Big 8 (with OU)? NU, Texas A&M, KU, KSU, ISU, Texas Tech, OSU, Baylor and TCU for starters. Maybe keep West Virginia. There have been rumors that the Arizona schools could be picked up by somebody. Arkansas is often mentioned, too.

Just spitballing, but kinda intriguing. A&M and NU (with renewed access to Texas recruits) could rule the roost of a very good conference. Would Alberts be receptive to that idea?

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 minute ago, ReddyRed said:

For all of the financial benefits of the B1G, every Husker misses winning conference championships – which hasn't happened in two decades. Nattys? Not even remotely on the horizon. Why? One reason is the absence of recruiting grounds.

A&M is furious about the idea of UT joining them in the SEC. What if A&M called NU with the idea of creating a "new" conference that they both could control – kinda like the old days of the Big 8 (with OU)? NU, Texas A&M, KU, KSU, ISU, Texas Tech, OSU, Baylor and TCU for starters. Maybe keep West Virginia. There have been rumors that the Arizona schools could be picked up by somebody. Arkansas is often mentioned, too.

Just spitballing, but kinda intriguing. A&M and NU could rule the roost of a very good conference. Would Alberts be receptive to that idea?

A&M may be pissed off, but they aren't leaving the SEC.  This "new" conference would be worse than the Pac 12 in terms of network interest, which would mean less $.  I know we all want NU to be winning championships, but that wouldn't happen in this conference you are proposing.  NU's response to anything is just to get better and start winning in the Big Ten.

• Plus1 1