So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Also, for what its worth.  CU is actually closer distance wise to the Big10 headquarters compared to Pac 12 and is actually closer to more schools in the Big10, distance wise, than the Pac 12.  

Really? Looks about the same, maybe closer to the P12 schools.

CU to:

Utah: 354 mi

Arizona St: 603

Arizona: 640

Cal: 929

Nebraska: 446

Minnesota: 688

Iowa: 718

NW: 919

https://www.distancefromto.net/

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Really? Looks about the same, maybe closer to the P12 schools.

CU to:

Utah: 354 mi

Arizona St: 603

Arizona: 640

Cal: 929

Nebraska: 446

Minnesota: 688

Iowa: 718

NW: 919

https://www.distancefromto.net/

Boulder to San Francisco (Pac-12 headquarters) is 1249 miles. Boulder to Rosemont, IL (B1G headquarters) is 1,017 miles.

Still, Colorado would be way more of an ugly duckling stepchild fit in the B1G than they currently are in the Pac-12. They should just join the Mountain West :)

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Boulder to San Francisco (Pac-12 headquarters) is 1249 miles. Boulder to Rosemont, IL (B1G headquarters) is 1,017 miles.

Neither the team nor the fans are traveling to either place, so not really relevant.

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Still, Colorado would be way more of an ugly duckling stepchild fit in the B1G than they currently are in the Pac-12.

Agreed.

• Plus1 1

I'm not gonna look at anything from a money perspective.  So, here would be my dream scenario ... that is ... if the $EC received OU and Texas ...

I don't personally like the B1G ... but knowing that it is stable over anything that the Big XII can offer, I would want this:

Drop Rutgers
Add Missouri, Kansas and either Oklahoma State/Iowa St.

For me, it renews some of the old Big 8 rivalries ... and that would be good.  I also like how it would shape the map.  I could also be interested in Kentucky in addition to Missouri and Kansas ... if that was an option.  I thought about Arkansas and maybe an A&M ... but I think it's best to stay away from any of that old Southwestern Conference type stuff.

This guys list doesn't make sense to me at all ...
https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-were-revisit-expansion-163159391.html

• Plus1 1

I suppose if we're discussing picking the corpse of the Big 12, West Virginia is worth mentioning. Certainly the Big Ten would make more sense for them geographically than the Big 12. I don't really see any other reason to bring them in, though. :P

If Oklahoma and Texas join the SEC, that's a helluva tough football schedule. Every single year. 

A team that comes out of the SEC at 10-2 might be better than a 12-0 Oregon or Clemson. If the BCS takes that into consideration, is it SEC bias or a legitimate Strength of Schedule argument?  

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Catching up on the thread.  Feels like Kansas is a recurring theme... I'd love to see colorado added into the fold- would be great to bring back that annual series and the Denver market is explosive when you consider population growth.  

Ive seem some mention of UNC and some deeper south ACC squads, I just dont see why they would make that jump given its so drastic geographically speaking.  Personally, I actually feel the ACC has done a pretty good job in past years on stability and schools theyve added in.  They pretty much own the eastern part of the US and has some notable programs in florida.... probably the reason why ND wants to align for access to these regions

Pretty much.  We get to appear in the same places without having to move into that SECtion of town. 

A newfangled Big8 would be a lot easier for NU to win.  The question is can it be a viable power conference without Oklahoma?  

Or, can any school be added to the Big10w that would make your division seem less like the 'other' part of the conference.

22 minutes ago, Toe said:

I suppose if we're discussing picking the corpse of the Big 12, West Virginia is worth mentioning. Certainly the Big Ten would make more sense for them geographically than the Big 12. I don't really see any other reason to bring them in, though. :P

WVU is ranked like 241st for public universities in the country. not happening

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

From a competition standpoint a move to the SEC would ensure that OU and Texas's would probably never make it to a National Championship game. They don't play even close to physical enough to make it a full season through the SEC and into the playoffs.

Crowding conference makes almost zero sense for championship aspirations.

46 minutes ago, ZRod said:

From a competition standpoint a move to the SEC would ensure that OU and Texas's would probably never make it to a National Championship game. They don't play even close to physical enough to make it a full season through the SEC and into the playoffs.

Crowding conference makes almost zero sense for championship aspirations.

It seems to have been leaked only after the dust settled on the expanded playoff.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This would be the perfect time to grab Duke & Wake Forest,  Kentucky & Vanderbilt, Kansas & Baylor, UCLA & Oregon State and form a new conference where the Huskers could resume their winning ways!

s#!t. I forgot about basketball. 

Not sure we go .500 with that schedule.