So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

Good argument for why the bottom dwellers of the SEC- wouldn't really benefit from this. On the other hand Texas is very good at playing politics and seems to be pretty confident- this may have already been decided. ALSO A&M may have leaked this to put the wheels in motion of sticks being poked into the spokes of Longhorn wheels. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/greg-sankey-sec-expansion-texas-oklahoma/1ad1pf1xc3wto1290fj86vt20u?fbclid=IwAR3DvgIAc9ZvYAvl-P8N69FpzlLNS4ww4OHoNSysAGs80o_RUuWvXqiXN-s

• Oh Yeah! 1

Time to do the right thing and admit I was wrong about us rejoining a re-imagined Big 12.  The leadership of that conference are so terrible that they have turned the conference into a raging dumpster fire. Things are so bad, the leading bad actor Texas wants out lol.  Official announcements from Texas and OU in the coming weeks that they intend not to renew contracts with the Big 12.  We can now just sit back and relax (THANK YOU AGAIN TO!!)  and watch as the Big 12 ship goes down.  Meanwhile Texas with corkscrew in hand and covered in sawdust and OU get into a life boat and start rowing toward the SEC galleon. 

The two teams we should go after are easily Kansas and Notre Dame.  Notre Dame does play hockey in the Big 10, but is mostly tied to the ACC.  If ND declines, we should go after Duke.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

Note the bloated budgets of these teams. Texas hasn't been able to buy a championship- not sure how more money solves any of the problems of many of these schools.  I mean how many awesome lockerooms, stadiums, study places, lounges can you build? When a team is already getting $50,000,000 from a conference- and has a budget of $185,000,000 what is an additional $5,000,000 buying you that you don't already have? Texas has lost its mind- with the expanded playoff they had a reasonable path to the playoffs- in the SEC- not so much AND they already are spending north of $220,000,000 annually  https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

22 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This is total nonsense and just daydreaming, but if the B1G went to a 16 team super conference I'd like to see it like so:

Get rid of rutgers and maryland and add Pitt and Notre Dame (you add solid historic rivalries for PSU/Mich/MSU and keep your same current number of AAU schools). Then go after Kansas and Missouri, who are both also AAU schools. You don't cheapen the football product at all, you greatly strengthen a number of other sports, and you maintain enough of a geographical/cultural consistency that it seems to fit and make sense. 

Can't 'get rid' of conference teams, they have to leave on their own accord....contracts, lawyers, and lawsuits and such.

22 hours ago, nic said:

Adding a note. Missouri wanted in the big10 when NU stepped in. Missouri is AAU. A&M is also AAU. If both get pissed for adding Texas it’s possible to switch to the big10. Not sure if the SEC has a GOR to keep them there though.

No way Missouri or A&M (or any other team) walks away from a top tier conference in visibility with top tier money.

21 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If you're the Big Ten, you make your best pitch to Notre Dame and Clemson. It's the only equal move to be made.  Unless you want to be the first conference to go from coast to coast, and make a play for USC.

Clemson is not going to leave a conference that they rule to be second or third fiddle in a new conference. 

13 hours ago, Toe said:

Screw it, let's take the whole UNC/NC State/Duke trio! :koolaid2:

I think we go after Duke once ND declines.  But with our current inept leadership, we may very well end up with Cinn, Pitt, Cuse, take your pick. 

10 hours ago, internetman said:

the problem with KU is the football program. their facilities are third world (in todays standards). the have a stink coming off them. 

football makes all the money. bball is an after thought. also they do not have wrestling which I think is a requirement 

That can change quickly once they start getting 30+ mill a year in Big 10 TV payouts. 

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Cuz I hate Duke!! Lol

Who doesn't?  But getting Kansas and Duke to join us would be the BB coup of the century. 

9 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Catching up on the thread.  Feels like Kansas is a recurring theme... I'd love to see colorado added into the fold- would be great to bring back that annual series and the Denver market is explosive when you consider population growth.  

No way is the Big 10 interested in Colorado.  Their sports all suck and they bring nothing academically to the table.

4 hours ago, Redux said:

TA&M and Arkansas could convince Missouri, Georgia and Florida to side with them in voting no which would be enough to block an invite.

Won't happen.  The political pressure from SEC brass will be too high.  A&M will prob be the only no vote. 

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Bledred said:

Can't 'get rid' of conference teams, they have to leave on their own accord....contracts, lawyers, and lawsuits and such.

No way Missouri or A&M (or any other team) walks away from a top tier conference in visibility with top tier money.

Clemson is not going to leave a conference that they rule to be second or third fiddle in a new conference. 

I think we go after Duke once ND declines.  But with our current inept leadership, we may very well end up with Cinn, Pitt, Cuse, take your pick. 

That can change quickly once they start getting 30+ mill a year in Big 10 TV payouts. 

Who doesn't?  But getting Kansas and Duke to join us would be the BB coup of the century. 

No way is the Big 10 interested in Colorado.  Their sports all suck and they bring nothing academically to the table.

Won't happen.  The political pressure from SEC brass will be too high.  A&M will prob be the only no vote. 

Clemson wouldnt be playing third fiddle to anybody in the Big Ten, and Texas and OU are making the jump to the SEC even though they'll fall in the pecking order there, giving up big 12 domination. Why wouldn't Clemson consider it? Money in the Big Ten would be substantially more than they're getting now.

• Plus1 2

Guess the rumor mill is officially cranking up into overdrive now. Supposedly some Ohio State insider said Oregon, USC, UCLA, and Colorado have been in touch with the Big 10 about possibly joining. Not that I put a whole lot of stock in those rumors, but don't assume you know everything that's being said behind closed doors...

11 minutes ago, Toe said:

If the B1G's response to the SEC adding Texas and OU is adding Iowa St and Kansas, well.... That'd be incredibly underwhelming. Take a shot at Notre Dame and Clemson. Or go get the the west coast teams (USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc). Geography doesn't matter in CFB conferences anymore. Swing a big stick, or the SEC is going to be the only conference that matters.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If the B1G's response to the SEC adding Texas and OU is adding Iowa St and Kansas, well.... That'd be incredibly underwhelming. Take a shot at Notre Dame and Clemson. Or go get the the west coast teams (USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc). Geography doesn't matter in CFB conferences anymore. Swing a big stick, or the SEC is going to be the only conference that matters.

Kansas basketball is a gold mine.  KU brings in almost as much money as OU does primarily based on basketball.  

• Plus1 3
28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Kansas basketball is a gold mine.  KU brings in almost as much money as OU does primarily based on basketball.  

As we know, this is a football discussion. Kansas has the worst power 5 football program, currently. I wouldn't hate adding Kansas, but the other addition better bring the heat on the football field (Notre Dame, USC, Clemson, for example).