So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

On 7/22/2021 at 6:39 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

UNC isn’t tied to Duke. They have nothing in common outside their basketball rivalry. UNC is the big, state school, which gets the best in-state students and is popular with out of state students. Duke is a private school, which attracts more kids from New York City, than it does from local areas. UNC wouldn’t have any issue leaving Duke. 

Yeah I have never understood this idea that they are tied together.  UNC has 10 times more students and literally the only reason that anyone knows anything about Duke is because of Coach K, they are basically Vandy but with good basketball.  

• Plus1 4

I think would be really interesting is if the Big 10 merged with the Pac.

That is a lot of teams over a large geographic area.  So that adds opportunity for an interesting schedule.

East and West divisions, mostly the existing Big and Pac  as each division.

Drop to 2 out of conference games.

Have 2 cross division games that would involve a high travel game.

Strict rotational schedule within division for the remaining 8 games.   So Michigan Ohio St for example would not happen every year, but best if schedule is a systematic and fair as possible in terms of difficulty.

The championship game is the Rose Bowl.  Checks boxes for tradition and a great money TV game.  Played a bit earlier than now so as to not conflict with playoffs.

The Big 10 network (or whatever the new name is) helps the Pac teams, whose network has not really taken off.

Very large national recruiting footprint, this goes from coast to coast, although doesn't directly hit the southeast.

Also think it would be great to to team up with another conference vs raid.

I know the above scheduling suggestion leaves plenty of room for tweaking.

8 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Looks like Missouri is a NO vote per the Austin Newspaper. With A&M and Arky, that's 3 votes. Only need one more. 

https://texas.rivals.com/news/texas-expected-to-inform-big-12-as-nearly-as-next-week-it-intends-to-leave?fbclid=IwAR1zwT4YQAMKAnqix3PYa4zma4qG3257KP3z9kX0PCI8hPRHyMv4cmCxVqs

The yes votes will be there. I guarantee it. If SEC says no, ACC and B1G know that UT and OU want out, and will gladly take one or both. SEC is not in the business of giving other teams power and money...

• Plus1 6

There IS a "gentlemans agreement" that would allow A&M veto power. Per Bowen Loftin- who helped transition both A&M and Missouri into the SEC> There is a different SEC commissioner in place now- so maybe they aren't honoring it. 

"There's this understanding among the membership -- at least it was 10 years ago -- that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN.com on Thursday. "We talked about it from time to time among ourselves, that this was the way it was going to be, that if we had another school in Texas wanting to enter the SEC, Texas A&M would have veto power."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31863713/texas-oklahoma-joining-sec-break-gentlemen-agreement-league-schools

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Seems like a conference realignment discussion not just a football discussion.  Getting the Kansas basketball property would justify bringing a s#!tty football program into the mix.  

Basketball isn't nearly as monetarily profitable as football. Kansas' football team brought in more money for the university than its basketball team in the last pre-pandemic year because of the Big 12 TV deal

26 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The yes votes will be there. I guarantee it. If SEC says no, ACC and B1G know that UT and OU want out, and will gladly take one or both. SEC is not in the business of giving other teams power and money...

Ya.  I don’t see any way this doesn’t get done if indeed OU and Texas want in 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, observer3 said:

I think would be really interesting is if the Big 10 merged with the Pac.

That is a lot of teams over a large geographic area.  So that adds opportunity for an interesting schedule.

East and West divisions, mostly the existing Big and Pac  as each division.

Considering that the Big Ten has 14 teams to the Pac's 12, Nebraska would probably be sent to the Pac Division to keep things balanced...

26 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

KU basketball is obviously huge, and the football program is obviously trash. They are an interesting school and the BIG needs to weigh the risk/reward of bringing them in. I think they are considered pretty good academically, and with the way HS wrestling is exploding in Ks I don't see them having any problem adding a wrestling program (wrestling programs are actually pretty cheap compared to other sports). Personally I want to see them add them because I live about 1 1/2 hours south east of Lawrence so it'll be easy for me to go there and watch the Huskers play, plus thats the definition of a gimme win right now.