So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

It would be fun to see OU/Tx get 'canceled' by the SEC and they would have to run to the Pac10 of all places - just for the embarrassment of it all :ou1::hookerhorns

But that probably won't happen.  While I'd be OK coming to the Big 10 - I'm not as nostalgic about them since they became Texas's little step sister.

I would like KS and Mo - but it is also doubtful that Missouri would want to leave the SEC. The same with Norte Dame- which would be the best

prestige target for the Big 10 - but as discussed they most likely would go ACC.

So as far as prestige names, we are limited.  Kansas Basketball which doesn't open up much for football recruiting.  If we could lure USC or UCLA out of the Pac 10 that would open up recruiting in California.  But they are pillars in the Pac 10 - it would be like trying to lure OSU and Michigan away from the Big 10.

So, my top 3 would be KU Basketball, Norte Dame and Missouri.    Ark would be nice as it is a short drive from Tulsa but that ain't going to happen either.

Realistic :   Kansas and ??  (Tulsa - since I live in Tulsa :D or maybe not - although academics are good there)  Maybe TCU - get NU back into the Texas recruiting market.  They have expanded their football stadium.  And if the Big 10 would take Rutgers :facepalm: why not TCU :dunno    However, it would be the smallest school if it joined the conference. 

Kansas and TCU -  important recruiting areas of Kansas City and Dallas/Ft Worth

17 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

KU basketball is obviously huge, and the football program is obviously trash. They are an interesting school and the BIG needs to weigh the risk/reward of bringing them in. I think they are considered pretty good academically, and with the way HS wrestling is exploding in Ks I don't see them having any problem adding a wrestling program (wrestling programs are actually pretty cheap compared to other sports). Personally I want to see them add them because I live about 1 1/2 hours south east of Lawrence so it'll be easy for me to go there and watch the Huskers play, plus thats the definition of a gimme win right now. 

The best thing about this is that it is the perfect time for colleges to start a wrestling program. With the explosion of women's wrestling you don't have the same title IX concerns as you can start both a mens and womens program. 

27 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

It would be fun to see OU/Tx get 'canceled' by the SEC and they would have to run to the Pac10 of all places - just for the embarrassment of it all :ou1::hookerhorns

But that probably won't happen.  While I'd be OK coming to the Big 10 - I'm not as nostalgic about them since they became Texas's little step sister.

I would like KS and Mo - but it is also doubtful that Missouri would want to leave the SEC. The same with Norte Dame- which would be the best

prestige target for the Big 10 - but as discussed they most likely would go ACC.

So as far as prestige names, we are limited.  Kansas Basketball which doesn't open up much for football recruiting.  If we could lure USC or UCLA out of the Pac 10 that would open up recruiting in California.  But they are pillars in the Pac 10 - it would be like trying to lure OSU and Michigan away from the Big 10.

So, my top 3 would be KU Basketball, Norte Dame and Missouri.    Ark would be nice as it is a short drive from Tulsa but that ain't going to happen either.

Realistic :   Kansas and ??  (Tulsa - since I live in Tulsa :D or maybe not - although academics are good there)  Maybe TCU - get NU back into the Texas recruiting market.  They have expanded their football stadium.  And if the Big 10 would take Rutgers :facepalm: why not TCU :dunno    However, it would be the smallest school if it joined the conference. 

Kansas and TCU -  important recruiting areas of Kansas City and Dallas/Ft Worth

I don't see the BIG adding TCU. I actually have always kinda liked TCU but they either join the PAC or go back to the MWC. I think the BIG will add KU and Iowa St. Right now Iowa St. football is a pretty hot commodity, and we live in a what have you done for me lately world.

I'd rather see the BIG try to go after OkSt than Iowa St. The state of Oklahoma typically has a lot of serious talent and it would help with recruiting there, but I just don't see it happening. And of course Baylor is in Texas which is a hotbed of talent

What is the possibility of the Big 12 going after schools like Arizona and Arizona St? You would think they are going to do everything they can to go after some decent talent to maintain their status as a Power 5 conference. Hell they could try to go and try to get Colorado back, and pick up schools like Houston, Boise St, or Cinci that are high quality G5 schools to do everything they can to stay relevant

There might be a lot of whining and complaining when OU and Texas get into the SEC from Mizzou and A&M, but at the end of the day they're not leaving the SEC.  Six of the last ten NCs have been won by the SEC.  A&M isn't paying Jimbo what they're paying him without expecting to be in the hunt.  The best hunting grounds for NCs is in the SEC.    

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I don't see the BIG adding TCU. I actually have always kinda liked TCU but they either join the PAC or go back to the MWC. I think the BIG will add KU and Iowa St. Right now Iowa St. football is a pretty hot commodity, and we live in a what have you done for me lately world.

I'd rather see the BIG try to go after OkSt than Iowa St. The state of Oklahoma typically has a lot of serious talent and it would help with recruiting there, but I just don't see it happening. 

What is the possibility of the Big 12 going after schools like Arizona and Arizona St? You would think they are going to do everything they can to go after some decent talent to maintain their status as a Power 5 conference. Hell they could try to go and try to get Colorado back, and pick up schools like Houston, Boise St, or Cinci that are high quality G5 schools to do everything they can to stay relevant

drunk ^

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

That...wouldn't fix the in-state veto A&M has. Unless they can rewrite bylaws with that extra vote. 

There is also the issue of an unwritten rule, the "gentleman's agreement," between SEC schools that gives conference members "absolute veto power" over the addition of another school from their state, according to a former Texas A&M official.

R. Bowen Loftin, who helped steer the Aggies into the SEC in 2011 while serving as A&M's president, said the oft-discussed unwritten rule was a "specific conversation" when he was involved in expansion talks in 2010-11. (Loftin also served as chancellor at Missouri from 2014 to '15 after the Tigers made the move to the SEC.)

"There's this understanding among the membership, at least it was 10 years ago, that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN on Thursday. "We talked about it from time to time among ourselves, that this was the way it was going to be, that if we had another school in Texas wanting to enter the SEC, Texas A&M would have veto power."

Handshake deals don't hold up in court, however.

ESPN

Big 12 bylaws state that any withdrawing member must give the league at least 18 months notice. Departing schools also must pay the league a "commitment buyout fee," which is an amount equal to the sum of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the school during the final two years of its membership. Exiting schools, according to the bylaws, "shall be deemed to have agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to the withdrawing member during the interim period" between the notice date and the actual departure date.

So if you apply that to last year, when the Big 12 distributed about $38 million to its members (third most among Power 5 conferences), Texas and Oklahoma would owe about $76 million each. Of course, that's where lawyers come in, and the Longhorns and Sooners would undoubtedly attempt to negotiate a settlement and an earlier exit date so they wouldn't have to remain in the league for four more seasons in less-than-ideal conditions.

ESPN

If OU and Texas are thinking ACC us a fallback position hold the horses. ACC has an odd number of teams and it has caused issues- they may only take one team. 

If you are OU and you are married to Texas- how nervous are you? Texas is like the husband who has cheated hundreds of times but somehow this time they are going to be true? Im guessing OU is requiring all the Texas pass codes for their computer and cell phones.  The Texas AD probably is required to wear an ankle tracking devise :dunno