So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Seems like a conference realignment discussion not just a football discussion.  Getting the Kansas basketball property would justify bringing a s#!tty football program into the mix.  

Kansas can't be the big addition. Not when the SEC just added Texas and OU. If you're going to add Kansas, you better find a way to go get Notre Dame. The goal here absolutely HAS to be to keep up with the SEC. Specifically, on the football field.

I still wouldn't rule out the B1G making a run at the top Pac-12 schools.

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Kansas can't be the big addition. Not when the SEC just added Texas and OU. If you're going to add Kansas, you better find a way to go get Notre Dame. The goal here absolutely HAS to be to keep up with the SEC. Specifically, on the football field.

I didn’t say it was going to be ‘the big addition’.  It would be a much better addition than what people think based solely on the basketball eyeballs and revenue it brings to the conference.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I agree - Big 10 'underwhelmed' with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland.  The only big impact school equal to the  Tx and Ou move is ND.  Yes, Kansas is great for basketball but its only imprint on football is opening up the KC market a bit more.    But NU was pretty active there already.  ND doesn't expand the Big 10 footprint but their reputation will enhance the appeal of the Big 10.   Too much of the recruiting hotbeds are in SEC territory and wt Tex and Okla they have a stronger hold on both of those states.   Oklahoma State could help us with exposure but Ok State isn't the right fit for the Big 10.  If the Big 10 brass look down at NU, they would completely distain OK State.  Again, if we can lure Sandford or some other California school that would help with recruitment. 

Adding a couple west coast schools seems like a logistical nightmare. We will be having Wisconsin and Ohio State playing a B1G Football Championship inside an empty Rose Bowl. B1G basketball tournament being played inside an empty MSG. Non revenue sports having to travel cross country. Adding KU and ND is the ideal move but ND probably won't bite. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

It's the reason that Miami, Florida State, or Clemson weren't added in the 2010 shuffle. The SEC defers to the school they already have in-state for approval. 

There's no bylaw for this, there's only a gentleman's agreement that A&M isn't a part of.

Unless you've got a link to the bylaws that spells it out, it's a B.S. claim in my opinion. If it was in the bylaws, those would be accessible by journalists, and A&M having a very easy ability to cancel Texas joining would be being reported on.

41 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The goal here absolutely HAS to be to keep up with the SEC. Specifically, on the football field.

That doesn't have to be the goal and that isn't the goal. The goal is bargaining power over media rights for money, and also academic research and grant money. Those are the only real goals at the end of the day, massive football fanbases of successful programs just serve one of those but aren't the goal in their own right.