So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

Kevin Warren- pulling another "Warren". As I said earlier- late to the table and when he arrives all he's got is some rancid potato salad that has been in his trunk for 12 hours and an excuse about traffic and Hyvee being out of what he wanted. 

This guy is so inept, I'm embarrassed for him. No COVID protocols, stopped season too early- no one followed. said season was over NOT going to address again- was forced to address again, changed rules for playoff midseason,  Basketball tourney- no baseball tourney even though last I looked baseball is played outside- basketball inside, no OOC baseball costs Huskers regional, totally out classed in league expansion scenario- totally unprepared. The list goes on and on. HOWEVER we do have the countries most awesome race/gender inclusion program and all of our athletes are registered to vote. All of his efforts are for show and not in the areas we need. And you want this guy to negotiate the leagues upcoming media deal? WOW

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

So we added Rutgers and Maryland for their football?

Two terrible additions. Neither of those schools move the needle in their own states, let alone nationally.

Football is why the B1G added Nebraska. It's why the SEC is adding Oklahoma and Texas. Making moves because of football, with an eye to new markets, is why the SEC is kicking the B1G's a$$. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Two terrible additions. Neither of those schools move the needle in their own states, let alone nationally.

Football is why the B1G added Nebraska. It's why the SEC is adding Oklahoma and Texas. Making moves because of football, with an eye to new markets, is why the SEC is kicking the B1G's a$$. 

They were great additions for money, which is the more primary motivation than football success.

How is the SEC kicking the B1G's a$$? We make a decent amount more money than them.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Notre Dame? Clemson? USC? Those are OU and Texas' equals.... Come on.

Notre Dame will be in the ACC if a conference. Clemson will not leave the southeast. if anything they will join the SEC. also ACC is locked into tv rights until 2036. 

USC is not equal to OU or TEXAS

literally none of these teams have as much money or fans as OU or Texas

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, internetman said:

Notre Dame will be in the ACC if a conference. Clemson will not leave the southeast. if anything they will join the SEC. also ACC is locked into tv rights until 2036. 

USC is not equal to OU or TEXAS

literally none of these teams have as much money or fans as OU or Texas

Lol. Notre Dame's fan base is about as good as anybody's, and they also have a football program worth MORE than OU, and only a few spots behind Texas.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-Texas-Longhorns-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-richest-poorest-programs-145373708/

You're looking for comparable. All three at that, at the very least.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Lol. Notre Dame's fan base is about as good as anybody's, and they also have a football program worth MORE than OU, and only a few spots behind Texas.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-Texas-Longhorns-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-richest-poorest-programs-145373708/

You're looking for comparable. All three at that, at the very least.

so they would leave their NBC contract, break their agreement with ACC for other sports to join the big10? this isn't happening.

• Plus1 4

I read earlier today that Oregon, USC and UCLA were all talking to the BIG now. Add those 3 and KU and thats a pretty strong addition. Logistical nightmare? yes. Vastly open up the recruiting base, as well as add tons of fans and money? yes

I don't love the idea of having to travel that far every year, but at this point, regional ties are more or less a thing of the past

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, GSG said:

Just thinking here... Notre Dame is always on NBC. What if the rumored Big Ten deal with Amazon/NBC is part of adding Notre Dame? 

30 minutes ago, internetman said:

so they would leave their NBC contract, break their agreement with ACC for other sports to join the big10? this isn't happening.

I don't know why people think bigger = better in forming an athletic conference.  But like everyone I noted the ND NBC contract went about as long as the Big12's media deal to 2025.  I thought that meant bargaining would be hearing up soon.  Apparently it is partly over. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I don't know why people think bigger = better in forming an athletic conference.  But like everyone I noted the ND NBC contract went about as long as the Big12's media deal to 2025.  I thought that meant bargaining would be hearing up soon.  Apparently it is partly over. 

do you know why ND aligns itself with the ACC instead of big10? 

I think Notre Dame would listen to the BIG if they called. They're going to have to join a conference, and historical backlogs seems to be a thing of past. Notre Dame coming to the BIG would solidify that conference. If they go to the ACC, those others schools are operating in SEC country and if one leaves, the ACC is done. Eventually, with the BIG's relationship to the West Coast, I can see them eventually getting CA presence (which would benefit ND). The ACC is in no man's land.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Notre Dame? Clemson? USC? Those are OU and Texas' equals.... Come on.

I think we can probably forget about adding any ACC teams, including Notre Dame, due to the size of the buyouts in the ACC contracts. I'm sure there will be at least some basic contacts made to see if there's any bites, but I don't expect anything to come of it.

3 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Adding a couple west coast schools seems like a logistical nightmare.

If OU and Texas to the SEC are done deals (which is not a given), raiding the Pac seems like the most plausible option for landing some big fish that we have, despite the logistics. (Ironically, we'd be in about the best position in the conference, being right in the middle and already used to long-distance travel.) And I can't see a scenario like KU + USC happening. If Pac schools join the Big Ten, it's probably gonna have to be a package deal for at least a couple of them because they'll want to maintain some existing regional rivalries.

31 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I don't know why people think bigger = better in forming an athletic conference.

Leverage in media contracts is the big one. The landscape is changing with the transition from cable to streaming, but that's still just another media contract.

Broader recruiting territory doesn't hurt, especially if we could get more exposure in California.

Everything people are saying about ND are what they were saying back before they joined the ACC partially while telling the BIG to piss off.  What do you all imagine has changed for ND?  The ACC isn't imploding, the Big12 is just still in a slow motion drain circle that it has been since texas tried to bolt for the pac12 in 2010.

I don't see how this really changes anyone's calculus as it's basically been in the process of happening and expected for 10+ years at this point.

• Plus1 1