So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

48 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I feel bad for all the non-blue blood Big 8/12 teams. They really have no power or control over anything, just have to beg for scraps and hope they land on their feet.

Couldn't be more thankful we're in such a solid and strong position especially with how poor our performance has been across the board for the last handful of years.

about 10 years ago I did something I had never considered.  I registered onto a fan site of a school different from my own, not even a regular opponent, because the news said they were changing conferences and breaking from 100 years of tradition.  thought I should warn them that the grass was not always greener on the other side.  I didn't actually think the University bigwigs were reading, but that would have been fun.  

Eventually there were two other schools with cool fansites that I read semi-regularly.  Now both of them are doing the same thing.  I guess I will once again cry out in the night.  Why do they give up their farm house for a more swanky complex of condominiums

If the rumors of the SEC going after OSU and Michigan are true and they opt to leave the Big 10 for the SEC (unlikely but you never know these days).  WV goes to the ACC as rumored.  Penn State can go to the ACC.  Maryland and Rutgers can also bounce to a more appropriate East coast conference, we should then band together the remnants of the Big 12 and the remnants of the Big 10 to form The Midwestern Conference:

Indiana

Purdue

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Iowa

Iowa St.

Kansas

Kansas St.

Oklahoma St.

Texas Tech

Baylor

Nebraska

Michigan St.

Illinois

Northwestern

TCU

Could add Memphis, Houston, Wyoming and Air Force to make it 20 teams. 

Bonus:  don't have to play OSU every year.  Double Bonus: get to play our old Big 12 rivals.

There is no way this conference champion could be ignored in a 12 team playoff. 

26 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

Maybe we should just get rid of conferences completely.

Everybody just goes independent lol.  Could make our own schedules and do the late November cupcake game like all of the SEC does. Everything is built upon your relationships with other programs (goodbye Akron).  No longer do we have to pay anyone a single cent to come play us for a home and away.

8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I feel bad for all the non-blue blood Big 8/12 teams. They really have no power or control over anything, just have to beg for scraps and hope they land on their feet.

Why? They have no one to blame but themselves for rolling over and going along with whatever Texas wanted for years. And now Texas has decided they don't need them anymore, and you think they deserve sympathy? They made their bed, now they lie in it.

Let's not forget that literally the only reason the Big 12 has existed for the past decade is because they're the only ones dumb enough to let Texas have their own network. They tried to do that with the Pac, and the Pac was like "Haha, f#&% no!" Now Texas has decided that they can live without the Longhorn Network, and the utterly predictable has finally happened, just a little later than expected.

• Plus1 7

23 minutes ago, Toe said:

Why? They have no one to blame but themselves for rolling over and going along with whatever Texas wanted for years. And now Texas has decided they don't need them anymore, and you think they deserve sympathy? They made their bed, now they lie in it.

Let's not forget that literally the only reason the Big 12 has existed for the past decade is because they're the only ones dumb enough to let Texas have their own network. They tried to do that with the Pac, and the Pac was like "Haha, f#&% no!" Now Texas has decided that they can live without the Longhorn Network, and the utterly predictable has finally happened, just a little later than expected.

its because espn decided they wanted the big12 to remain with texas getting the longhorn network. the tv networks are literally deciding how college football works. not the schools. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Flugar's known as an Infotainer on the CR chats.  There are three of them that tweet out just about anything that will draw attention.

I have never understood the logic behind these articles.  Clemson has never had as much fiscal revenue as Alabama nor the northern blue bloods that the Cacti beat resoundingly.  Also Disney owns the ACC (+much of ND's) media rights for a generation and no major conference moves happen without the Mouse's approval.  So a major CR move from the ACC teams is neither necessary nor feasible. 

Yeah you were there back on the old Landthieves cr threads with me right? (I had a different username there) I thought I remembered Flugar being the "journalist" that just liked to throw out random cr theories because eventually one would stick and he could claim to be in the know

Regardless of where Iowa State ends up ( Big 10.  Barry Alvarez told me so).  It'll be fun watching Texas get their asses handed to them at away games.  How many calls do you think Texas is going to get from the soon to be unemployed Big 12 officiating crews?  I will be surprised if they win a conference game this year.

i will miss seeing the Boomer Schooner tipping over and dumping Okies on their heads though...that was always amusing.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
On 7/24/2021 at 10:51 AM, Courtesy Flush said:

Clemson knows it’s in trouble. Good article below.

This makes me wonder if the SEC reaching out to OSU, Michigan, FSU and Clemson has some fire to the smoke? Think about them joining a super conference and the TV deal that could come from that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rubbingtherock.com/2021/07/23/clemson-football-dangerous-spot-acc/amp/

ACC is probably stuck, but here is a wish list if it can be blown up. And we almost get contiguous States and good brands... Clemson, FSU, KU, Virginia, ND, NC to the Big10. Go Big for 20 teams. :cowbell: 

1 hour ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Regardless of where Iowa State ends up ( Big 10.  Barry Alvarez told me so).  It'll be fun watching Texas get their asses handed to them at away games.  How many calls do you think Texas is going to get from the soon to be unemployed Big 12 officiating crews?  I will be surprised if they win a conference game this year.

i will miss seeing the Boomer Schooner tipping over and dumping Okies on their heads though...that was always amusing.

I wondered when cy was gonna stop by, good luck to you guys wherever you land.

16 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I wondered when cy was gonna stop by, good luck to you guys wherever you land.

Thanks!

Kinda nice being the Premier Team of the league finally.  Thinking we should just hold together and bring in 4 malcontents.  That way we make the playoffs every year.  Almost like being Nebraska in the old Big 8.  That might be kinda cool...

2 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

Yeah you were there back on the old Landthieves cr threads with me right? (I had a different username there) I thought I remembered Flugar being the "journalist" that just liked to throw out random cr theories because eventually one would stick and he could claim to be in the know

Hello Jessicafanwini

:laughpound  Just Kidding 

7 hours ago, Bledred said:

If the rumors of the SEC going after OSU and Michigan are true and they opt to leave the Big 10 for the SEC (unlikely but you never know these days).  WV goes to the ACC as rumored.  Penn State can go to the ACC.  Maryland and Rutgers can also bounce to a more appropriate East coast conference, we should then band together the remnants of the Big 12 and the remnants of the Big 10 to form The Midwestern Conference:

Indiana

Purdue

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Iowa

Iowa St.

Kansas

Kansas St.

Oklahoma St.

Texas Tech

Baylor

Nebraska

Michigan St.

Illinois

Northwestern

TCU

Could add Memphis, Houston, Wyoming and Air Force to make it 20 teams. 

Bonus:  don't have to play OSU every year.  Double Bonus: get to play our old Big 12 rivals.

There is no way this conference champion could be ignored in a 12 team playoff. 

Just now, Cy the Cyclone said:

Thanks!

Kinda nice being the Premier Team of the league finally.  Thinking we should just hold together and bring in 4 malcontents.  That way we make the playoffs every year.  Almost like being Nebraska in the old Big 8.  That might be kinda cool...

I was going to say it might be easier to reconstitute the Big8 of the 80s.  And since in this hypothetical it is unfortunately a Big Seven without Oklahoma; add 3 programs from areas in which you want to recruit.  Such as Big7 + Cincy/TCU/Houston.

• Plus1 1

Another idea that occurs to me that would totally blow things up:

If I'm Iowa State, I'm taking my share of conference buyout money from the Gooners and Texass along with the media cash those two are gonna have to pony up if they leave and Im gonna start contracting every player worth a crap on either roster and telling them if they transfer to Iowa State, they will receive a guaranteed $25,000 cash NIL bonus just for showing up, joining the team and eating in the local pizza joint.  If I can convince my fellow Big 12 leftovers to do the same thing, both of those teams would end up cruising high schools to try to put a roster together...$150 million can buy a lot of players...or break an athletic budget if they want a bidding war.

5 hours ago, Toe said:

Agreed. 

This Simpson's quote comes to mind. 

image.png.7a48c9c3bfdc6644c2b63a40466bcaf1.png

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Hello Jessicafanwini

:laughpound  Just Kidding 

I was going to say it might be easier to reconstitute the Big8 of the 80s.  And since in this hypothetical it is unfortunately a Big Seven without Oklahoma; add 3 programs from areas in which you want to recruit.  Such as Big7 + Cincy/TCU/Houston.

Lol I was actually iowanfornebraska lmao