So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

OU and Texas hired a firm out of NYC to talk to the B1G and SEC about joining.  Their first choice was the B1G but they wouldn’t take OU because of AAU status but said yes to Texas.  Texas said that they were a package deal and the B1G still said nope.  They went to the SEC and they said yep.  

If this is true- would it be the nail in the coffin of Kevin Warrens storied career as BIG10 Commissioner? If this is true- it would be classic-- him pulling the ultimate "Warren". He will have "hit for the cycle" in just over 1 year- historic accomplishment in such a short time period. We say no to OU and Texas and bring in Iowa State and Kansas instead, well done :dunno

We could just make him a cool huge plaque so he could put it on his trophy wall thanking him for his disservice as leader of the BIG. He could put it with all his little league trophies and newspaper articles. Then make up some job title he could do- call it a promotion. Just make sure he understands the job has no duties and no responsibilities which would be right in line with his approach towards work. Then he just waits for the NFL to call so he can complete his Peter Principle journey. He should write a book. He is a true inspiration that gives real hope to everyone out there that is inept and lazy- that yes, they too can aspire to and can con people into giving you jobs you don't deserve and be handsomely paid to do so. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

If this is true- would it be the nail in the coffin of Kevin Warrens storied career as BIG10 Commissioner? If this is true- it would be classic-- him pulling the ultimate "Warren". He will have "hit for the cycle" in just over 1 year- historic accomplishment in such a short time period. We say no to OU and Texas and bring in Iowa State and Kansas instead, well done :dunno

We could just make him a cool huge plaque so he could put it on his trophy wall thanking him for his disservice as leader of the BIG. He could put it with all his little league trophies and newspaper articles. Then make up some job title he could do- call it a promotion. Just make sure he understands the job has no duties and no responsibilities which would be right in line with his approach towards work. Then he just waits for the NFL to call so he can complete his Peter Principle journey. He should write a book. He is a true inspiration that gives real hope to everyone out there that is inept and lazy- that yes, they too can aspire to and can con people into giving you jobs you don't deserve and be handsomely paid to do so. 

I would be bummed to discover that OU/TX wanted to be in B1G and Warren passed.  That is a no brainer to me.

However, I wouldn't expect much from our fans as 90% of the board is butt-hurt over Texas and wouldn't want any association with them.  You can't really throw stones at Warren if you can't stomach Texas.  

For me, the bigger problem is the selling out for the almighty $.  We did that with manufacturing and rather than have all the factories and blue collar jobs and middle management we wanted more money and then more of a service industry for lower income jobs.

So, moving forward you will more "have's" and "have not's".  I'm think we will be the latter.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I would be bummed to discover that OU/TX wanted to be in B1G and Warren passed.  That is a no brainer to me.

However, I wouldn't expect much from our fans as 90% of the board is butt-hurt over Texas and wouldn't want any association with them.  You can't really throw stones at Warren if you can't stomach Texas.  

For me, the bigger problem is the selling out for the almighty $. 

Yes, I totally get the Texas hate. I lived there for 5-6 years, the teasips are insufferable and destructive. However what we are talking about is the literal survival of the NU football program, you have to take the bad with the good sometimes. If we aren't part of a big boy league, why even bother- have never been a fan of intramurals. Have to look at the bigger long term picture. BUT It's not happening, looks like Warren passed, the ship has sailed. 

It's an absolute shame the BIG has such an inept leader when we are in the middle of the most tumultuous change in college football history. At the end of the day- Warren will write some kind of bulls#!t "profiles in courage" type book that will paint him as some kind of oppressed intellectual martyr hero- instead of the bumbling idiot that he is. It will sell a bunch and he will be part of the fawning talk show soft ball questioning circuit and make millions more. Great work if you can get it. :cowbell:

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

E7LcsRTWQAEFv6V?format=jpg&name=small

"mutually beneficial to OU and UT, as well as the other member institutions".  When the teams left in the dust are considered "other" by the Big 12 HQ.  I bet every single one of them is absolutely done with the people running (ruining) the conference in Irving, TX.  OU and UT are upgrading from their Honda Accord to a Land Rover.  The deal is done and the ink is dried.  Just awaiting an official announcement at this point.  

With WV set to announce it is leaving for the ACC, they have to know in Irving that it is over with only 7 teams left.  Everybody will be looking to bolt to ANY conference that is willing to take them.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Can't think of a single reason why the B1G would even consider Oklahoma St.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-expansion-rumors-picking-042704509.html#click=https://t.co/iX3fjHhCdg

There isn’t. This is prime “throw s*** at a wall and see what sticks” time for sportswriters to get clicks and try to say “SEE!? I WAS RIGHT!!!”

Also word that despite the about face from Kansas, there was discussion with leaders

(and Legends?) in the B1G offices…just not with Warren, who was indisposed. Dunno why the about face, unless it has something to do with the Big XII sucking up to TX/OU. 

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

With WV set to announce it is leaving for the ACC, they have to know in Irving that it is over with only 7 teams left.  Everybody will be looking to bolt to ANY conference that is willing to take them.

image.gif.a71d57d0f8c40581ae9e5546e336d525.gif

As long as there’s a quorum, there’s a conference and a contract. 

Instead of the seven looking to bolt, why not make some quality additions to their conference and improve TV audience? 

Teams like Houston, Colorado State, and Nevada would love to be in a Power 5 conference and would bring decent to good football *AND* expand Big XII media markets. Tulane and Arkansas State would be similar additions, but in a lower tier. Then cap off the expansion to 12 with a Wyoming or SMU, and you’ve got a decent, expanded footprint and an opportunity to show you can get attention with this new lineup before the contract is up. 

Yeah it’s not ideal, but it’s a good way to make lemonade from lemons. 

Also, an obligatory “F**k Dan Beebe”, just because. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not really news but here's the list.

Except that we know this is bulls*** because Oklahoma was part of the five team plan to move to the B1G that A&M scuttled because of their greed. 

Morons like Adam keep clinging to this when they don’t really care—they knew Nebraska was going to lose its AAU membership before we joined. 

2 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

So why does the B1G give a crap about AAU? We ain't the ivy league...

They don’t. It’s Adam putting s*** out there to make it stick.

Plus remember that ESPN isn’t above using its sports journalists to promote what ESPN wants to happen. If Fox is using their $600m to sway the B1G and OU/UT, then it makes sense ESPN would put this s*** out. 

35 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

So why does the B1G give a crap about AAU? We ain't the ivy league...

They do care and they think they are an Ivy league.  That is why a year ago the Prez's and powers that be followed the Ivy in cancelling sports.   It took a push by AD's and fans to open up to sports.

• Plus1 3

I don't think the B10 is in trouble. The Big 12 definitely is. 

Assuming they could grab at least one more team from somewhere and avoid a garage sale, does the Big 12 risk losing P5 status, at least in football?  At the very moment they're looking to expand the playoffs and lock in a team from each P5 conference, the Big 12 looks like a second tier player.

If you didn't like Texas coming to your party, you're probably not going to like Notre Dame -- not that they'd accept. It might be cool for a team like Boise State, BYU or North Dakota State that's always demanding more respect to get a shot in a P5 conference, but at that point is the B12 even a P5 conference anymore.