So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

44 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

They don’t. It’s Adam putting s*** out there to make it stick.

Plus remember that ESPN isn’t above using its sports journalists to promote what ESPN wants to happen. If Fox is using their $600m to sway the B1G and OU/UT, then it makes sense ESPN would put this s*** out. 

B1G brings in north of $700 million annually thanks to the athletic end. They bring in north of $2 Billion annually thanks to research. I know we tend to focus on the athletic end of things on this board, but the media isn't wrong when they say a school has to fit the B1G's academic profile as well. B1G will add brands that will allow them to continue to get massive media contracts for athletics AND bring in research dollars. Schools have to check off multiple boxes. People here seem to be laser focused on how much money athletics bring in and completely ignore how much money academics bring in. 

• Plus1 6

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

B1G brings in north of $700 million annually thanks to the athletic end. They bring in north of $2 Billion annually thanks to research. I know we tend to focus on the athletic end of things on this board, but the media isn't wrong when they say a school has to fit the B1G's academic profile as well. B1G will add brands that will allow them to continue to get massive media contracts for athletics AND bring in research dollars. Schools have to check off multiple boxes. People here seem to be laser focused on how much money athletics bring in and completely ignore how much money academics bring in. 

FWIW KU and ISU are both AAU accredited with strong research bona fides. I think that's where they end up going. 

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

image.gif.a71d57d0f8c40581ae9e5546e336d525.gif

As long as there’s a quorum, there’s a conference and a contract. 

Instead of the seven looking to bolt, why not make some quality additions to their conference and improve TV audience? 

Teams like Houston, Colorado State, and Nevada would love to be in a Power 5 conference and would bring decent to good football *AND* expand Big XII media markets. Tulane and Arkansas State would be similar additions, but in a lower tier. Then cap off the expansion to 12 with a Wyoming or SMU, and you’ve got a decent, expanded footprint and an opportunity to show you can get attention with this new lineup before the contract is up. 

Yeah it’s not ideal, but it’s a good way to make lemonade from lemons. 

Also, an obligatory “F**k Dan Beebe”, just because. 

Once OU and TX bolt, can the terms of the Big 12 TV contract be re-negotiated with the remaining teams?  Wonder if there is a clause in the contract that if teams leave or teams are added to the conference, that the contract can be redrawn to reflect the value of the market.  If this is a yes, then there would be a dramatic decline in payout for the remaining teams unless they quickly added the teams you mentioned.  All the more incentive to run toward more stable ground.

Really bad timing for OU who was one of the favorites to win it all this year....good luck getting past the Big 12 refs. 

A big part of the game here is not just the money, it is the exposure and ESPN is the national leader in sports media exposure hands down.  If you get into the SEC, you can bet bottom dollar you will get endless positive media coverage from ESPN to all of those future 5 star recruits in the nation.  ESPN coverage of college football is horribly biased toward the SEC.  OU and TX are well aware of this. 

I still think NIL $ is a bigger game changer than super conferences.  Kids will make choices based on their individual best interest first and foremost.  I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but it makes NIL the elephant in the room compared to facilities, conferences, etc.

The next few years will be interesting and I'm betting that college football in 2030 doesn't look anything like college football in 2000.

1 minute ago, 307husker said:

I still think NIL $ is a bigger game changer than super conferences.  Kids will make choices based on their individual best interest first and foremost.  I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but it makes NIL the elephant in the room compared to facilities, conferences, etc.

They are very interrelated. The SEC will have better games and more exposure which will lead to higher NIL payouts for their players  compared to others which will result in them hoarding talent nationwide. 

• Plus1 1

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=31889155

Greeny thinks it will end up being the B1G, ACC, and SEC (PAC12 technically being one as well but still irrelevant) left as the power conferences when the dust settles.  Gives me hope that the OSU and Mich rumor is not true.  He makes a good point though, all three need to change their names for 16-20 teams in the Big TEN makes no sense.  OU is in the midwest, not the Southeast etc. 

13 minutes ago, Bledred said:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=31889155

Greeny thinks it will end up being the B1G, ACC, and SEC (PAC12 technically being one as well but still irrelevant) left as the power conferences when the dust settles.  Gives me hope that the OSU and Mich rumor is not true.  He makes a good point though, all three need to change their names for 16-20 teams in the Big TEN makes no sense.  OU is in the midwest, not the Southeast etc. 

hope if its 16 teams they change the name to the Sweet 16

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

LOL, and I’ve been one of them saying this for years since we moved over. 

The thing is, AAU membership doesn’t mean you aren’t bringing in research money. Nor is it an automatic DQ…especially when the networks will be driving this bus. 

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Except that we know this is bulls*** because Oklahoma was part of the five team plan to move to the B1G that A&M scuttled because of their greed.

I think you might be mis-remembering some things? Their plan was to move to the Pac, not B1G, and it was Texas, not, A&M, that scuttled it because the Pac wouldn't let them have their own network.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2

I've heard some rumors about OU and UT reaching out to both the SEC and the B1G, but the B1G saying thanks be no thanks because OU isn't in the AAU. Don't get me wrong, I want to stay as far away from the Longhorns as possible. But unless you have some other high profile team like ND lined up, don't you have to at least entertain the idea if you're the B1G?

If the B1G truly wanted to make a play for OU and UT, this guy brings up a pretty interesting idea...

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Assuming they could grab at least one more team from somewhere and avoid a garage sale, does the Big 12 risk losing P5 status, at least in football?  At the very moment they're looking to expand the playoffs and lock in a team from each P5 conference, the Big 12 looks like a second tier player.

This is one big reason why I can't figure out why Texas, OU, OSU, Clemson..etc....would all want to be in the same conference with Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida...etc.

If the playoffs take one team from every P5 conference, then one team is going to get the automatic bid and the rest will be fighting for the left over spots.  If Texas and OU really are as great as they think they are, then staying in their own conference (Big 12) would give them a better chance to be in the playoffs.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is one big reason why I can't figure out why Texas, OU, OSU, Clemson..etc....would all want to be in the same conference with Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida...etc.

If the playoffs take one team from every P5 conference, then one team is going to get the automatic bid and the rest will be fighting for the left over spots.  If Texas and OU really are as great as they think they are, then staying in their own conference (Big 12) would give them a better chance to be in the playoffs.

As I mentioned a few hundred posts back, you would be able to make the case that a team that comes out of the SEC at 10-2 might be a helluva lot better than a team that runs the table in the Big XII or Pac 12 -- maybe the ACC & BIG10 as well. And it wouldn't even be SEC bias.  Likewise, if one of those SEC powerhouses loses its playoff spot to a 9-3 Oklahoma State, that's not exactly great for college football.