So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't think so, if their actions have been detrimental to the future of the BIG 12, they could be liable for the remainder of the contract, plus any damages they have caused. That is if the BIG 12 can be found to have standing in the suit.

And Fox Sports will be right there to lend a legal hand and help with the estimated damages. 

Wouldn’t be shocked if Fox Sports prompted  this action by the Big XII and this becomes a proxy war fought out in court. 

• Plus1 1

All ESPN had to do was be the major sports network for college football, no matter what conference and they would have been very successful long term.  Yes, they have been very successful with the crap they have pulled over the last few decades while pimping the SEC and Texas.  

However, that's a pretty damn short sighted strategy.  

If their actions help destroy college football as an exciting national sport, then they won't be as successful as they could have been going forward.  I'm guessing leadership in the network is blind to that fact.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder if there's any lawsuit that the NCAA can put towards ESPN if they had the backbone to actually do something meaningful. In my mind, the lawsuit would be about them negatively influencing the success of college football because of disinformation and shady dealings behind the scenes.  Was there anything done that was actually against the law?

Of course, they would have to have actual documented proof of this.

And...ESPN probably would never do this because ESPN would then become extremely negative towards the NCAA to protect themselves.

The NCAA is led by the SEC, so the Southern Corruption has reached all the way to the top. In the NCAA.  

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Toe said:

IDK about McClintock's statement that the ACC is unlikely to expand. If I'm West Virginia, I'm all over them.

And I could still see the Big Ten taking the top of the Pac, and then the bottom eight of the Pac merging with the leftover Big '8' teams. Doesn't necessarily have to happen this year, though. (I don't think the Big Ten needs to rush as much as some are acting like.)

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But, if you're the ACC, what does West Virginia bring to the table?  WVU isn't bad athletically, but they don't add a big population area for the ACC Network, and WVU is terrible academically (in the 200's of University rankings).  I don't see how WVU fits with the ACC, other than geographically.

This is what happens when you let Disney design the football conferences.  They make them for what is good for Disney, not the fans, players, or schools.   I like that ESPN is behaving like Silicon Valley and making lots of enemies even the casaulty is college football. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Fox Sports should get in the mix with the PAC-12 and Big Ten, maybe the remaining 8 of the Big 12 and do something big.  Have their own crossover games, bowl games, championships and let the SEC do their own thing.  See who will need who at the end.

• Plus1 2

Leagues crumble when stuff like this happens. You can put your own interests first BUT if you don't understand that you have to have a healthy league or healthy college football in order to be able to even play, you have nothing in the end. Who do you play against? You work to find a happy balance between self self interest and in the long run having a healthy league to play in. 

College football has always been about the schools, the rivalries etc- How can you have a true rivalry against a team 1000 miles away and who you don't play all the time? I'm very fearful for the future of college football. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Toe said:

I mean... you must be assuming that the playoff will expand? Because I think UCF proved pretty definitively that G5 teams have no actual chance of getting into the playoffs in the current format. And I kinda wonder if the TV power-brokers even WANT them to have a chance...

I think they would because everyone likes a good underdog story. When you get a G5 team, and they get the upset over a legit P5 team, it would be TV gold and everyone would be tuning in next week to see if the Cinderella story will continue. Imagine if UCF would have gotten into the playoff and beaten Clemson or Georgia (1 and 2 seeds). ESPN would have ran with it and everyone would have loved it.

1 hour ago, Micheal said:

Surely ESPN has done something against their contract with the Big 12 by trying to sabotage the conference in order to avoid paying out what the contract says. There is no way that can be legal. 

They're generally civil cases, breach of contract, tortious interference with contract etc that end with Disney settling for a few million.  

Bowlsby hinted that he might want something bigger.  He mentioned "federal intervention" in the Thamel article.  I'm surprised up and coming politicians haven't tried this on as a crusade.   There are probably more voters who went to a LEFT BEHIND college than soon to be Power Four. 

3 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Leagues crumble when stuff like this happens. You can put your own interests first BUT if you don't understand that you have to have a healthy league or healthy college football in order to be able to even play, you have nothing in the end. Who do you play against? You work to find a happy balance between self self interest and in the long run having a healthy league to play in. 

College football has always been about the schools, the rivalries etc- How can you have a true rivalry against a team 1000 miles away and who you don't play all the time? I'm very fearful for the future of college football. 

I really started to lose interest in college football after of the first reorganization....for me its now compounding. To me, what makes school sports whether is HS, College...rivalry, border wars, 100 years of bad blood, regional cultural nuances...not this crap we see unfolding.

In the mid west its competition among rural communities...kids from similar backgrounds, fans coming into Lincoln on a sunny Saruday morning in OCtober and the highway patrol on the radio reminding everyone coming in for the game to "watch for Orange triangles, its harvest time"..........not Nebraska playing a some engineering school in downtown Chigago ...Just my opinion

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, Husker66 said:

I really started to lose interest in college football after of the first reorganization

Which one? Are you talking about when Michigan left the conference in 1907? Or when Nebraska petitioned to join the Big Ten back in 1900, and again in 1911? Or one of the other realignments that have been going on for as long as college athletic conferences have been a thing?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2