So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

39 minutes ago, Toe said:

Which one? Are you talking about when Michigan left the conference in 1907? Or when Nebraska petitioned to join the Big Ten back in 1900, and again in 1911? Or one of the other realignments that have been going on for as long as college athletic conferences have been a thing?

That's not even an apples to apricots comparison.  In your examples the AD could move new-rugby conferences by himself.  What's happening now is the media companies are re-engineering college football so they can sell it for a higher price.  And all of the things that made CFB unique are being tossed aside for a point of Disney stock. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Toe said:

Which one? Are you talking about when Michigan left the conference in 1907? Or when Nebraska petitioned to join the Big Ten back in 1900, and again in 1911? Or one of the other realignments that have been going on for as long as college athletic conferences have been a thing?

I think he means when Penn State joined the Big Ten and made it the Big Te(leven)n

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

3500 posts and thats what you got?  Im not 120. I'll indulge you...no the last big one since the SWC folded. ya know that one back about 10 years ago ....just to be a bit more precise. even the Big 8 to 12 was not a seismic shift towards the ESPN era....that came after which we all suffer now...this sucks

• Plus1 1

Found this on mgoblog. #4 is hilarious. I am in. Would also go for #3.

Meanwhile the Big Ten has to decide how to respond. It could:

1. Go banging on doors of USC/Washington/Clemson/whoever’s left to see if they can superconf up as well.
  2. Find two loose Power 5 schools to add so it looks like they’ve done something and added new markets.
  3. Form a Big-Pac federation that changes little except they share TV rights, hold crossover games early in the season, and play a championship in the Rose Bowl before the playoffs.
  4. Join the remainder of the Power 5 conferences to break away from the NCAA and form a super-duper league where everybody gets to more or less do things how they want, negotiates a national TV package that streams every game, moves the baseball season back to summer, holds its own playoffs that locks out the SEC, signs players to contracts, then asks Texas and Oklahoma if they want to come too.
  5. The above but then be like “lol, j/k.”
  6. Something even wilder.
  7. Do nothing, trusting the parochial nature of college football fans to keep them as stinking rich as they are right now while they see how Texas and Oklahoma are assimilated into the SEC superstructure.
  8. That but come up with a playoff plan that hurts the superleague, and pass it while everybody’s mad.
1 hour ago, Husker66 said:

3500 posts and thats what you got?  Im not 120. I'll indulge you...no the last big one since the SWC folded. ya know that one back about 10 years ago ....just to be a bit more precise. even the Big 8 to 12 was not a seismic shift towards the ESPN era....that came after which we all suffer now...this sucks

Alright, since you're not 120, I'll educate you: the next big power conference realignment after the SWC folded was in 2005. :thumbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NCAA_conference_realignment

The Big Ten doesn't have to do anything.  They've been in the driver seat with TV Revenue over everybody else.  The ESPN decisions for the SEC (adding OU & Texas) was never made for the "super conference" concept. It was made to get out of debt, and to meet or exceed the Big Ten TV revenue. 

24 minutes ago, admo said:

The Big Ten doesn't have to do anything.  They've been in the driver seat with TV Revenue over everybody else.  The ESPN decisions for the SEC (adding OU & Texas) was never made for the "super conference" concept. It was made to get out of debt, and to meet or exceed the Big Ten TV revenue. 

#7 above.

this is literally ESPN changing college football for their benefit. 

They made a bad business decision by giving the BIG12 their contract and I think COVID aided in this greatly. 

Bob Bowlsby says he has proof that they (ESPN) was conspiring with the AAC to destabilize the remaining big12 members in-order to get out of what they still owe. I do not believe he would have said this without absolute proof. Lawyers would not allow that. 

ESPN is under contract with the remaining big12 members for ~720 million (~30 million * 3 years * 8 schools).  

Their plan is to get all the big brands (or as many as possible) into the SEC and lock down that contract for 20 years. 

Trying to get ahead of any chances the streaming services getting involved by illegally manipulating the market. 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

SEC vote was unanimous. 14-0.

I can't believe A&M capitulated that easily. Somebody must be giving them a LOT of money.

aTm was squeeling like a pig the day it was announced...then they rolled over silent. very , very odd...only reason I could see they went quiet....money....

10 hours ago, Toe said:

Alright, since you're not 120, I'll educate you: the next big power conference realignment after the SWC folded was in 2005. :thumbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NCAA_conference_realignment

You are correct, I retract my comment..To me the biggie was us to the B1G and all that went with it. I still think this whole thing has been heading in an ultimately terrible direction for fans.  

• Plus1 2

Since everyone is giving their lackluster predictions, I guess it’s time for the Flushtradamus Prophecies:

1. We’re going to see the BIG XII dissolve by February. The first reply to this post will be a cease and desist letter from Bob “none of my teams will see a” Bowlsby’s lawyer.
2. The ACC, with its 14 teams, will joineth the SEC to create the first mega league in college athletics. It will be renamed the “Sports & Education Confederation (sponsored by ESPN, all rights reserved)” and will go by the moniker “SEC”. The SEC will be governed by Gregory Sankey and the League of Shadows.

3. The Big Ten and Pac12 will wait 3 years to see what shakes out with the 12 team SEC playoff. Will their champion get an invite to compete? Martinique will be recognized by FIFA before that happens. The Rose Bowl championship game (sponsored by ESPN, all rights reserved), will feature the top two teams from the Big Ten and Pac 12, as picked by a committee of former OSU and USC alumni. 
4. Kevin Warren will be attacked by Nebraskafan55 within the next 7 posts.

5. Coach Scott Frost will believe that Nebraska had its best fall camp since his arrival.

6. The Kansas Jayhawks football program will lose to most schools in the AAC upon joining. Oklahoma State will always fall short to Memphis, and never make the AAC championship.

7. The Helena Handbaskets will win their first Longaberger Trophy in 109 years.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
23 minutes ago, Husker66 said:

aTm was squeeling like a pig the day it was announced...then they rolled over silent. very , very odd...only reason I could see they went quiet....money....

That was all for show. This was settled months ago but they had to act like they haven't been talking all this time.