So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

4 hours ago, Toe said:

@TGHusker I kinda like the idea of just taking the California schools. They're pretty much the top academically, and they could have their own local pod so there would be a little less travel.

Big 10 is  at 14 schools now add UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal - that gets the Big 10 to 18  - 3 pods of 6 which seems awkward

Add

ND and Colorado or Oregon   gets us to 20 -   4 pods of 5 

IF FSU and Clemson end up going to the SEC, it seems that this would but pressure on Norte Dame to get off of the fence.

The ACC wtout 2 heavy weights will seem like less of a conference.    Miami and Va Tech would be the top 2 football schools going forward in the ACC.

Merging wt the 'glamor' schools of the Pac 12 brings in a huge media market plus leaves the door open for ND rival games wt USC. 

West Pod:

UCLA

USC

Stanford

Cal

Colorado/Oregon (Oregon seem like the better fit for that POD, but Colo brings back an

old Nebraska rival)

MidWest POD   (From top to bottom this might be the most balanced POD)

Nebraska

Iowa

NW

Minnesota

Wisc

Lakes POD

Ill

Purdue

Mich

MSU

ND

East POD

OSU

PSU

Indiana

Rutgers

Maryland

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Bledred said:

Word is getting around about the 'Super Deal' the SEC made with ESPN.  Which is that any team they add to the league will get a FULL share of the money without the other teams taking a loss of one single cent.  The deal does specify that they must go after top level athletic programs This deal is immediate for any team joining the SEC, for they will be paid their full share as soon as they start competing in the league.  NO other conference in the country has this deal to offer new schools!  You can bet everything you own that OU and Texas will be leaving the Big 12 after this season and getting their big bucks starting in 2022 as SEC full members. You can bet your butt that every school entering the SEC has been approved by ESPN brass in advance. 

If Clemson and FSU go the SEC, the "power" conferences will just be the B1G, SEC, and PAC12 with just the B1G and SEC who will be the only two conferences that have teams who have even a remote chance at winning a National Championship in the near future and the scale will be heavily tilted toward the SEC.

In other words, Game. Set. Match.  SEC wins.  Unless the B1G has some major development up its sleeve.  Given how our leadership handled covid, I have serious doubts they have anything planned.  They are just spectators to this masterstroke plan by ESPN and the SEC as we all are. 

Disney/ESPN owns 100% of the SECNetwork and the conference simply licenses their content for cash.  That's a different model than the BTN where you NU had to gradually buy equity over a few years.  Likewise that means anyone can be booted from the SEC for free while the Big10 would have to buy out the shares of a departing member. 

Is anyone thinking it's about time to go independent?

• Haha 1

Has it sunk in for the OU and TX fanbases yet?  They took the mountain of cash and what are they getting for it?

TX just went from the middle of the pack with a potential slim shot at losing the conference title game to OU, to being bottom dwellers in the SEC.  Missouri has reserved a spot for you.

OU just went from perennial conference champions in the Big 12 (with maybe one loss to KSU) to 2-3 losses in the SEC and most likely not even getting into the conference title game.  The environment of the away games in the Big 12 are nothing compared to the hostile environment away games in the SEC.

This will go down as more of a win for the pocket books of ESPN, SEC and the Athletic Departments of OU/TX, than a win for their respective fanbases.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

This posturing is all for legal reasons. Texas has zero intentions of fulfilling its obligations. 

228989722_312472403993674_5309806936878109426_n.jpg

So let me get this straight, youve lied and coerced with another team to leave the conference, possibly did this same thing 10 years ago in a attempt to get more power in a conference you were invited to join, had some obvious sway in the league in terms of pull with rulings and calls during games.  But now, this........this is what your going to tell the truth about.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

So let me get this straight, youve lied and coerced with another team to leave the conference, possibly did this same thing 10 years ago in a attempt to get more power in a conference you were invited to join, had some obvious sway in the league in terms of pull with rulings and calls during games.  But now, this........this is what your going to tell the truth about.

saying  "Is the intention" is like saying "with all do respect" or "dont take this wrong" ..... but .....

7 hours ago, GISker said:

you won't hear it said any better (a Big X advocate)

Correct and my thoughts exactly when I hear any mention of this will be awesome TV

..no it won't, I like the idea of regional rivalries and the play they have on a national level...you make the $ all regional and the national attention goes away. And the idea that it is becoming NFLish is inaccurate imo...atleast the NFL has regional teams on a national scale...this is just bad for college football unless ALL are involved....sad sad times coming. Honestly my fear is what this will do with college basketball, I am a HUGE Gonzaga fan and the superconference make up has the potential to take schools like GU, Creighton who do not have football or schools like Nova who have football but on an FCS level and make them second fiddle to a mega garbage

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Bledred said:

Has it sunk in for the OU and TX fanbases yet?  They took the mountain of cash and what are they getting for it?

TX just went from the middle of the pack with a potential slim shot at losing the conference title game to OU, to being bottom dwellers in the SEC.  Missouri has reserved a spot for you.

OU just went from perennial conference champions in the Big 12 (with maybe one loss to KSU) to 2-3 losses in the SEC and most likely not even getting into the conference title game.  The environment of the away games in the Big 12 are nothing compared to the hostile environment away games in the SEC.

This will go down as more of a win for the pocket books of ESPN, SEC and the Athletic Departments of OU/TX, than a win for their respective fanbases.  

I've asked and cannot get them to think about the question.  A few die hard Sooner fans think the Big12 was suppressing their recruiting.

If there is to be any expansion of teams in the B1G, leave Notre Dame out of the conversation.  They’ve had several invites and turned them all down.  Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC in 4 years or less doesn’t change anything for them.

4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I've asked and cannot get them to think about the question.  A few die hard Sooner fans think the Big12 was suppressing their recruiting.

I've got family in Norman who are Sooner fans and that is accurate.  They're convinced they'll keep on rolling with zero negative impact here,  can only be positive.  We shall see, I'm skeptical.

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I've got family in Norman who are Sooner fans and that is accurate.  They're convinced they'll keep on rolling with zero negative impact here,  can only be positive.  We shall see, I'm skeptical.

That isn't going to happen. The SEC is a much different conference than the BIG12. NU found out the BIG was MUCH different than the BIG12- and we stumbled pretty badly with not having the right type of kids and scheme to effectively compete against the BIG teams week in and week out. Frost had to do the same- when he thought his UCF approach would work at NU in the BIG. 

The SEC can play defense. Yes they had a bit of a hiccup last year, but many of the SEC teams play well coached pretty stout defense. The defensive lines of SEC teams are much more physical than their counterparts in the BIG12. OU can match at QB and most skill positions- but they don't have the physicality they will need to consistently be a top dog in the SEC.

Will be interesting to see how the newcomers stack up. Lots of eyeballs and ratings for that. Missouri and A&M didn't do bad coming in- so it will be interesting to watch. I for one will be watching. 

• Fire 1